Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio questions - need some advice

dolby digital pioneer receive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aldridge

aldridge

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

My in-laws got a new Pioneer Receiver (VSX-1023) and they have a Direct TV Genie DVR. I connected the Genie to the receiver via HDMI, they also have the 5.1 speaker setup. My questions are:

Does DTV output ALL channels in 5.1 or just movie channels or just certain channels? (I set the Genie box to output Dolby Digital in the settings).

Should they configure the receiver to receive in Dolby Digital all the time?

If DTV does not broadcast all channels in Dolby Digital all the time, how would the Pioneer receiver handle the signal of those channels that are not DD.  Will it just convert to regular stereo?

Many thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,655 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

Hopefully your Pioneer AVR has an "Auto" setting for its Dolby Digital decoding.  Then you won't need to change any settings.  

The Genie DVR, and other DirecTV HD DVR/Receivers, outputs whatever audio the station/network provides.  That's usually either PCM2.0 or DD5.1.  You can disable DD5.1 audio in the Genie's Audio Setup Menu, of course, but why would you want to. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,620 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Yes, there are many channels and sometimes a show on a channel that usually broadcasts DD5.1 that will have an audio that is not DD 5.1.

It is very noticeable on my Yamaha. The front panel on it says Pro Logic when it is not DD 5.1. When it is 5.1 it says Dolby Digital.

A setting of Dolby Digital ON for the Genie and Auto for the Pioneer as litzdog911 has stated should be the way to set the system for the best sound.

• aldridge likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

The front panel on it says Pro Logic when it is not DD 5.1. When it is 5.1 it says Dolby Digital.

Your receiver probably shouldn't fall back to Dolby Pro Logic (a two-channel analog to four-channel surround process). It should still be Dolby Digital, just two channels.

I suppose you could try to apply Pro Logic to the audio, but I would guess that anything done outside the late eighties and early nineties it wasn't expressly encoded for it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Your receiver probably shouldn't fall back to Dolby Pro Logic (a two-channel analog to four-channel surround process). It should still be Dolby Digital, just two channels.

I suppose you could try to apply Pro Logic to the audio, but I would guess that anything done outside the late eighties and early nineties it wasn't expressly encoded for it.

On my Onkyo SR605, I have anything that isn't DD 5.1 default back to All Channel Stereo, which sounds much better than just two channel stereo. There are other DSP modes that take 2 channel stereo and try to emulate DD 5.x, but I don't find any of them more pleasing than All Channel Stereo (this uses all 5 channels plus the sub-woofer and sounds quite good, but that's subjective). For shows that are primarily dialogue DD 5.1 is for me, a poor listening choice because the dialogue comes from one speaker (center) and the other speakers are doing absolutely nothing.

For movies and sports, DD 5.1 is superb or at least can be, depending on the mix). For news, etc., All Channel Stereo is much more effective, not to even mention pleasing  to me.

All of this is subjective, of course, but what can be taken from it is it is worth experimenting and finding the two or three preferred settings for the Home Theater Amp that match up with the source material in a pleasing manner for you.

Edited by hasan, 20 February 2014 - 12:04 PM.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Not really.  Nothing has to be expressly encoded for Dolby Pro-Logic anymore, as there is more than one type of Dolby Pro-Logic.

The original takes a 2 channel PCM stream and creates 4 distinct channels Left, Center, Right, and Rear.

Dolby Pro-Logic II can take any 2 channel audio and create 5.1 surround sound.

Dolby Pro-Logic IIx can take any 2 channel audio (or dolby digital 5.1) and creat 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

Dolby Pro-Logic IIz can take any 2 channel audio (or dolby digital 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1) and create 9.1 surround sound.

I'm sure he is talking about using one of these newer versions of Pro-Logic and just calling it by the generic name.

As the others have said he should set his DirecTV receiver to have Dolby Digital on.  His receiver should be set to use Dolby Digital whenever it receives that format, and use the most advanced form of Pro-Logic available whenever it recieves a 2.0 format (indluding DD 2.0).

The problem he may run into every now and then is channels/programs that don't format their audio correctly.  Every now and then you will run across something that has the audio mixed as DD 5.1 but all of the channels except the front left and front right channels are empty.  This should have been send out as 2 channel PCM or DD 2.0 but someone screwed up.  When this happens there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it, because as far as the DirecTV receiver, and the AV receiver are concerned it is a 5.1 signal so it won't try to do any processing on it.  The only thing you can do if this happens is turn off Dolby Digital on your DirecTV receiver until that program is over (assuming it is something you want to watch with surround).  That way the AV receiver will just get a 2 channel PCM signal which it can then use Dolby Pro Logic to create surround sound from.

Edited by Beerstalker, 20 February 2014 - 01:15 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   aldridge

aldridge

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...