Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Residential Loop-trough wiring and the DSWM13 w/taps

dswm13 loop-through wiring

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello, I'm buying a home (new construction/ two-story) and noticed it only has two coax wires on the side of the house, yet there are nine coax wall plates in the home.  It is on a slab and there doesn't appear to be a distribution hub or D-Marc in any of the closets or attic so I can only assume it has loop-through wiring.  My question to you guys, if the home does in fact have loop-through wiring, would DirecTV use a DSWM13 and taps at each wall plate to get the Signal to each receiver in each room or am I S-O-L?

Thanks!

Pic added:

DSWM13.jpg

Edited by TreyS, 20 February 2014 - 09:50 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

For D* Loop Wiring is a NO go - Each location should be Single RG6 to a Central location.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

DSWM13 Is Not out yet for Res install - Refer to this thread -Loop Wiring Is a Current NO GO-

http://www.dbstalk.c...-dswm13-switch/

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

would DirecTV use a DSWM13 and taps at each wall plate to get the Signal to each receiver in each room or am I S-O-L?

Thanks!

As the other have said, DSWM13 would be made for residential for at least the very long future.  It "seems" your only option with DirecTV would be to pull new runs to the attic.  I would assume that you might be able to get your hands on a DSWM13 once they become available but you must buy it yourself and support it yourself 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Thanks, I did see in another thread that the DSWM13 was available to buy for around $186.  Not sure if I need to be an installer to have access to buy it though.  I have no issues supporting it myself if need be too. 

Also, pulling home runs from each room to the attic would only work for the second floor.  I can't get to the first floor as the construction is already completed.  :/

#6 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Update:  I emailed the builder and they said the coax is all home-run back to the utility closet.  Funny thing is there's no wiring panel in there, just a two-gang blank wall plate.  I'll have to open it up and take a look when I close on the home but I guess I'm good to go.  Thanks again!

Edited by TreyS, 20 February 2014 - 10:06 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thanks, I did see in another thread that the DSWM13 was available to buy for around $186.  Not sure if I need to be an installer to have access to buy it though.  I have no issues supporting it myself if need be too. 

Also, pulling home runs from each room to the attic would only work for the second floor.  I can't get to the first floor as the construction is already completed.  :/

and how many receivers/rooms on the second floor.  Are you planing to have DirecTV in all 9 rooms?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Update:  I emailed the builder and they said the coax is all home-run back to the utility closet.  Funny thing is there's no wiring panel in there, just a two-gang blank wall plate.  I'll have to open it up and take a look when I close on the home but I guess I'm good to go.  Thanks again!

Once you are able to open that up, let us know what you find...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, I think I will be okay, was just over thinking/ worrying that I couldn't get D*.   :goodjob:     

I do plan to have two receivers upstairs and three downstairs. 

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

...  I would assume that you might be able to get your hands on a DSWM13 once they become available but you must buy it yourself and support it yourself 

AIUI, even if you intend to buy and support a DSWM13 based install yourself, DIRECTV will not release the firmware needed by the receivers to operate with a DSWM13.

It's for receivers registered for use in commercial DRE installs only. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#11 OFFLINE   TreyS

TreyS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Good info, thanks!

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

I see no reason a swim system
Wouldn't work fine for you anyway. It would have been simply a matter if where to connect into the existing system assuming all the splitters where behind the wall plates.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

I see no reason a swim system
Wouldn't work fine for you anyway. It would have been simply a matter if where to connect into the existing system assuming all the splitters where behind the wall plates.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

AIUI, even if you intend to buy and support a DSWM13 based install yourself, DIRECTV will not release the firmware needed by the receivers to operate with a DSWM13.

It's for receivers registered for use in commercial DRE installs only. 

ahhh, forgot about the FW.  Thanks !

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

I wonder if the firmware would actually be a problem, as the receivers include a choice of a DSWM LNB in the satellite setup menus since the most recent firmware update around New Year's. At least with regular SWM, I am able to choose a SWM LNB on receivers and they still work even though they're connected to a SWM16. For that matter, I have tried selecting the DSWM LNB and they worked fine, but there's no way to know if it is "really" selecting that or just letting me think it did :)

Of course, even if (BIG "if"!!) it does work, for the cost of having to buy your own equipment (not only the DSWM13, but also the special taps required for the loop thru) and doing your own install and supporting yourself forever, you could pay an installer to fish coax through the walls for a clean and fully supported install. There's never going to be scenario where trying to use the DSWM13 loop thru install makes any sense at all in a residential environment, even if could be made to work.

I'd be absolutely astonished if there is any new residential construction using loop thru wiring, so I highly doubt the TS is in that situation anyway.

Edited by slice1900, 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I'd be absolutely astonished if there is any new residential construction using loop thru wiring, so I highly doubt the TS is in that situation anyway.

I have seen (worked on) some complex apartments that had loop through wiring.  there were only 3 "loops" so two 2-ways worked fine.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

I have seen (worked on) some complex apartments that had loop through wiring.  there were only 3 "loops" so two 2-ways worked fine.

I guess I should have qualified that to say single family residential. I don't know what is or isn't common in multi-family residential.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

I wonder if the firmware would actually be a problem,

Without being able to select the DSWM13 in the firmware, you're "hosed".

A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Without being able to select the DSWM13 in the firmware, you're "hosed".

Since you can select a SWM LNB in the firmware when you actually have a SWM multiswitch and it works perfectly, I'm thinking similarly selecting the DSWM LNB may be good enough.

Or maybe it isn't. There's no way to know for sure unless someone has the opportunity to try it, but the whether it works or not is irrelevant since there's no reason why anyone should want to use a DSWM13 outside of its intended market.

If you really had loop thru wiring in your home, it would be better to use a SWM LNB or SWM16 along with a SWM amplifier and the taps. That definitely wouldn't be supported either, but it at least it would be cheaper :)

Edited by slice1900, 20 February 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Since you can select a SWM LNB in the firmware when you actually have a SWM multiswitch and it works perfectly, I'm thinking similarly selecting the DSWM LNB may be good enough.

Or maybe it isn't. 

You're "not getting it".

There is the dish/LNB selection and then there is the multiswitch selection.

There isn't a maybe here, and the multiswitch selection is overriding "your" LNB selection..

A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dswm13, loop-through, wiring

spam firewall