Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RVU/Genie Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tlansdown

tlansdown

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

My setup is currently a Genie HR44, three C31 mini clients connected to it, and an additional networked HDDVR.

I purchased a Samsung UN32F5500, which is RVU capable, so as I wouldn't need to purchase another receiver also because of where it will be mounted.

I put it on my network with a wired connection, and connected the coax.  I run through the RVU setup, get the PIN from the Genie, enter the PIN, select "adding a new location" and I get told that I am maxed out with connections to my Genie (3) and that I need to contact DirecTV to resolve this.

When I choose "replace current location", it works just fine, but I've now removed one of my other minis.

I call DirecTV, and the first person I talked to before my call dropped had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't understand what the problem was.

Next person I talked to said I needed a DECA to make it work the way I'm trying.  I have some DECA's from when I had whole-home setup prior to Genie.

I asked them to just walk me through it, as they were adamant about sending out a technician and charging me $50 to do so, and I'm pretty sure this would take all of five minutes.

I guess long story short, does anyone know where the DECA would need to go in this setup?  On the RVUTV, one of my other mini clients, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,630 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

You can only have 3 clients on a Genie.  You could change one to a H2x receiver or HR2x DVR and still play programs from the Genie.

If you have Directv coax near your TV, the DECA (with a Power Inserter) would go there with the Ethernet pigtail to the TV.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

You can have only three active RVU clients at one time, but up to 8 on the account. I currently have 6 clients on the account.

As for the DECA requirement that's the standard line, you might try calling again and maybe fine a CSR that will just add another client.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,434 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I put it on my network with a wired connection, and connected the coax.  I run through the RVU setup, get the PIN from the Genie, enter the PIN, select "adding a new location" and I get told that I am maxed out with connections to my Genie (3) and that I need to contact DirecTV to resolve this.

You don't need a DECA since you have you are already networked. What you need is to cal DirecTV and have them add a 4th client license to your account.  Of course this comes with a 6.00 a month fee.  but note that you can only use 3 clients at any one time

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   tlansdown

tlansdown

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks guys.

It seemed simple enough as to add another client license, but they didn't seem to understand.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

A lot of the CSRs don't know how to add the RVU client TVs.  Just call back and try again.

As far as the DECA goes that is technically how you are supposed to connect your TV for it to be supported by DirecTV.  You are supposed to run coax from your SWM splitter to a DECA with a power inserter, and then an ethernet cable from that DECA to your TV.  You aren't really supposed to connect your TVs ethernet directly to your home ethernet network.  Obviously doing so will work, but it is not supported by DirecTV (and I have heard it may cause more issues being hooked up that way).

I bought two of those same TVs for my parents and have them hooked up as RVU clients to their HR44 genie.  I went ahead and hooked them up the supported way with the DECA and power supply behind each TV hooked to the coax, and the short ethernet cable to the TV.  They have worked pretty well for them so far (about 6 months).  There have been a couple issues every now and then, but I think most of those have been problems with the TV itself (power saving turning it off, ECO mode making it too dim at night, etc).

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...