Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T/Directv CSR and genie upgrade ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Do the same CSRs handle bot bundled and unbundled customers or are they from distinct groups. I called today and they greeted me with "AT&T Directv". I actually canceled AT&T for my home phone and internet a month ago. Last time I called about a year ago they were less than helpful in trying to get an upgrade to a genie. They spent more time trying to dissuade me from getting one then finally were generous enough to let me have one if gave them $300. I passed.

I now have an HR24 that is overheating. I sensed reluctance on their part just getting it replaced so I just said I'll call back later.

I really would like to get a genie. I know I would need to swap out my LNB and get a swim 16 for my set up. I've been a directv customer for 10 years and I'm not currently under contract.

I guess what I'm really asking is does being associated with AT&T have any impact on what they are offering or have I just ran into bad luck with CSRs?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Since you are no longer an AT&T customer, get your service unbundled and you can return to calling Directv to try to work out an upgrade.  They will replace your HR24 for at most S&H of $20 with no commitment extension.

#3 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

Do the same CSRs handle bot bundled and unbundled customers or are they from distinct groups.

I now have an HR24 that is overheating. I sensed reluctance on their part just getting it replaced so I just said I'll call back later.

I really would like to get a genie. I know I would need to swap out my LNB and get a swim 16 for my set up. I've been a directv customer for 10 years and I'm not currently under contract.

I guess what I'm really asking is does being associated with AT&T have any impact on what they are offering or have I just ran into bad luck with CSRs?

1. Some CSRs can handle new bundle orders for signing up ATT and DirecTV together. Once each service in the bundle is activated, each distinct company (ATT or DirecTV) handles it's own account. There is no cross sharing information and there is no access to ATT computer by DirecTV CSRs (and vice versa). The only thing they may share is combined billing statements, but not always. For active ATT and/or DirecTV customers in a bundle, the customer must contact ATT (800-288-2020) for their ATT service and DirecTV (800-531-5000) for their DirecTV service.

2. As mentioned in the post above, after DirecTV customer service determines the HR24 needs replacing, expect $19.95 for shipping (including recovery kit for current HR24). Keep in mind, it's a good idea to watch all your recorded programming prior to returning the receiver.

3. Correct, if your setup will then have the Genie and 4+ additional tuners/receivers. If you have additional, older receivers, you may want to swap each of those with a Genie Mini. Just saying. Doing so also reduces the tuner count and might keep the SWiM8 in place.

4. ATT will not consider you a new customer until 60 days has passed from time you disconnect service. Reconnecting before that time makes you a "reconnect" customer, with distinct offers. Being associated with ATT has no bearing on your DirecTV service (nor any offers you may qualify for). Your DirecTV account history is the main driver of those offers.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#4 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

Thanks kaminar, I suspected something similar to #1. They must redirect the calls as I called the main directv number. I looked at my bill. It still has "bellsouh answer savings listed" even though the bill date was well after I disconnected. I'll get that taken off. I guess the $5 month discount also includes sub par customer service.

I haven't had the need to call much in the last couple of years. But before the CSRs seemed willing to help. My last couple of call they seemed to have a "why are you bothering me" attitude. And much different than the experiences people her were reporting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...