Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Viable option for an external HDD for a Genie?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Das22m3

Das22m3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Would there be any drawbacks to using this as an External HDD for a Genie? 

http://eshop.macsale...gy/MSQ7S20TB64/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,906 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Just as a general answer, only the power consumption.  At the current prices of 32 or 64 Gb sticks, combined with the 16 Gb, GG will store more than you can carry around and watch!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

you would want an external drive that has been proven to work and specially one that is actively cooled 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

You should take a look at the esata - DIRECTV recommended list thread and use something that has already been confirmed to work.  Going with anything else is just a crap shoot.

• Rich likes this

#5 OFFLINE   Das22m3

Das22m3

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

Bill, those at most are 1TB. It already has 1TB. The goal would be to add a larger HDD......

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Bill, those at most are 1TB. It already has 1TB. The goal would be to add a larger HDD......

of course that thread linked is 142 pages long.  you need to look through what has worked for others 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

I am using a 4tb red drive from wd that is working perfect.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

When that thread was started, in 2009, 1TB drives were pretty much as big as they got.  Now 4 1/2 years and 2,800 posts later, there are many many recommendations for 2TB drives and enclosures for HR2x's as well as recommendations for far bigger drives for Genies.  When I was used that thread to decide on a 2TB drive to go with, I ended up deciding on the Western Digital WD20EURS and a Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure for one of my HR24's and I went with the 3TB Western Digital WD30EURS, with the same enclosure for my Genie.  The Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station is also a very popular option.  I went with the Max 5G because I prefer the idea of an enclosure over a docking station. 

Either way, if you go for a 2TB drive, you would be looking at a solution that has been proven to work that costs at least $50 less than the unproven option that you linked to in the OP.

Edited to change link to point to esata enclosure.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 21 February 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Das22m3

Das22m3

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Bill, when I looked at the link I was on my mobile and didn't notice the amount of posts. My apologies on not looking closely. Thanks for the info.
DS.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

When that thread was started, in 2009, 1TB drives were pretty much as big as they got.  Now 4 1/2 years and 2,800 posts later, there are many many recommendations for 2TB drives and enclosures for HR2x's as well as recommendations for far bigger drives for Genies.  When I was used that thread to decide on a 2TB drive to go with, I ended up deciding on the Western Digital WD20EURS and a Thermaltake Max 5G Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure for one of my HR24's and I went with the 3TB Western Digital WD30EURS, with the same enclosure for my Genie.  The Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station is also a very popular option.  I went with the Max 5G because I prefer the idea of an enclosure over a docking station. 

Either way, if you go for a 2TB drive, you would be looking at a solution that has been proven to work that costs at least $50 less than the unproven option that you linked to in the OP.

I like the 5G enclosure you linked. Does is have to sit upright or can you lay it flat?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I like the 5G enclosure you linked. Does is have to sit upright or can you lay it flat?

AM I missing something on that enclosure because I am not seeing an e-SATA port on it.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

AM I missing something on that enclosure because I am not seeing an e-SATA port on it.

You're right - he linked the wrong one.

Here's the eSATA one... http://www.amazon.co...HXNRJCMT63V5GB6

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,291 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

You're right - he linked the wrong one.

Here's the eSATA one... http://www.amazon.co...HXNRJCMT63V5GB6

Ahhh, much better and $5.00 dollars cheaper

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm using them vertically.  But I don't see why it couldn't lay flat.  The fans are only on one side and the exhaust comes out of the bottom (when setup vertically).  If you put it on it's side, the fan would be on top and the exhaust would come of of the side.

BTW - On the Amazon page for this enclosure, it says that there is a 2TB limit.  However, on Thermaltake's site, they say that the limit is 3TB.  I am currently using this enclosure with both a 2TB and 3TB drive (for HR24 and HR44 respectively) with no issues.

I apologize for the incorrect link earlier.  I didn't even realize that there was a USB-only version of this enclosure.  I've modified my original post to link to the correct enclosure.

• sigma1914 likes this

#15 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Edited to change link to point to esata enclosure.

Does that TT 5G Active cooling enclosure come with all necessary hardware for putting either a 2 or 3 gig red wd drive into it? Are there any instructions on assembly, or is it really obviousj?

I've always used the TT docks, but I just had a terrible experience with  a brand new TT dock and the 3 gig avp drive. I spent four hours trying to make them work together and couldn't even get a computer to recognize the combo, much less my HR44-700.

I tried:

3 different eSATA cables

Two different computers, one with eSATA and one with USB

Neither of the computers would recognize the drive/dock connected USB, and the one compute with an eSATA port wouldn't acknowledge it had been plugged in, nor could it find it.

I must have restarted the 44 from a power down at least 10 times (HR44) and I always got the internal drive playlist. (Of course, I plugged in and powered up/spun up the new drive/dock first)

I don't know what went wrong, but I've got both the TT Dock and the 3 Gig AVP WD drive boxed up to go back to Amazon on Monday.

It's really too bad, as I have the original TT BlacX and a 2 gig avp that is 4 years old and still running strong.

So, ...time to try something else, so I'm thinking of what  you recommended: full enclosure and the 2 or 3 gig red drive.

Comments? I want to order prime today, so I can stay ahead of my recordings.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#16 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Does that TT 5G Active cooling enclosure come with all necessary hardware for putting either a 2 or 3 gig red wd drive into it? Are there any instructions on assembly, or is it really obviousj?

It comes with a hex screwdriver, which is all that you need. I don't remember if there were instructions or not. But assembly was really easy.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Comments? I want to order prime today, so I can stay ahead of my recordings.

I would stick with one thread where you posted your question first; cross-posting on one site is not up to e-etiquette  to ask  same question ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...