Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Military Channel to become American Heroes Channel March 3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Somehow I missed this January 9 news release and couldn't figure out what channel AHC was in armophob's TV Reminders list:

(Pasadena, CA)—Discovery Communications, Inc. announced today it will change the name of the Military Channel to American Heroes Channel (AHC). In 62 million homes, American Heroes Channel expands on the Military Channel’s broadens its marching orders from  “honoring the great defenders of our freedom” to also “providing a rare glimpse into major events that shaped our world and the trailblazers and unexpected advocates who made a difference.” The brand expansion to American Heroes Channel features an expanded mix of programming targeted to an audience of P25-54, with an emphasis on men, and will be supported by on-air, off-air and online marketing elements rolling out starting in a few weeks.

The only network dedicated to the timeless stories in which a challenge appears – be it a situation or a villain – and a hero arises, American Heroes Channel explores compelling and uplifting true stories of the bold men and women who have distinguished themselves by their actions. These are the stories of people and events that transcend time and place: from the heroes of Omaha Beach, to the scientists who worked tirelessly during the Space Race, to the SEAL Team Six takedown of Osama Bin Laden, to a young Marine who saved lives during Hurricane Katrina. These stories bridge the connection between lessons of past and legends of today, and demonstrate – for all generations –how courage and conviction shape the future.

“We see a tremendous opportunity to provide more history-based, narrative-style documentary programming that viewers have come to know and love from Discovery Communications. The American Heroes Channel will be the next great platform for Discovery to engage and entertain an information-hungry audience with a network that provides an exciting intersection of military and history programming,” said David Zaslav, President and Chief Executive Officer, Discovery Communications.

“Although America is a country born from acts of heroism on the battlefield, true heroism isn’t reserved solely for military,” said Kevin Bennett, General Manager, American Heroes Channel. “We know our viewers love the stories of real-world valor presented by our signature military series, and American Heroes Channel will remain the destination for military fans. However, we’re excited to offer viewers a more diverse voice and storytelling style with American Heroes Channel that captures the best of the Military Channel’s niche appeal while providing viewers with additional insight into contemporary world events and biographical stories.”

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Heroes?

Really?

Destroying things?  Killing innocents?  Wasting billions in US funds that might actually be able to do some good somewhere?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 544 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Heroes?

Really?

Destroying things? Killing innocents? Wasting billions in US funds that might actually be able to do some good somewhere?

That is a terrible generalization of all military members throughout our history. Not all are angels and yes some cross the line. We sign our lives away for this country. Blame politicians not the service members. We can't choose to not do what our commander in chief tells us to. How about you just say thank you and keep your hate to yourself.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!
  • sigma1914 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Heroes?

Really?

Destroying things?  Killing innocents?  Wasting billions in US funds that might actually be able to do some good somewhere?

Did you read the news release (emphasis added)????

...American Heroes Channel expands on the Military Channel’s broadens its marching orders from  “honoring the great defenders of our freedom” to also “providing a rare glimpse into major events that shaped our world and the trailblazers and unexpected advocates who made a difference.”

...Channel explores compelling and uplifting true stories of the bold men and women who have distinguished themselves by their actions. These are the stories of people and events that transcend time and place: from the heroes of Omaha Beach, to the scientists who worked tirelessly during the Space Race, to the SEAL Team Six takedown of Osama Bin Laden, to a young Marine who saved lives during Hurricane Katrina. These stories bridge the connection between lessons of past and legends of today, and demonstrate – for all generations –how courage and conviction shape the future

Given the orientation you express, I would think you would be happy to see a broadening of the channel's scope to subjects like "the scientists who worked tirelessly during the Space Race." But what do I know.... :nono2:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Heroes?

Really?

Unhappy news Comrade?

• Supramom2000 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

I prefer Military Channel.

:nono2:

American Heroes Channel sounds like a brand name that won't last five years.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

Heroes?

Really?

If it wasn't for those of us who served in the military you wouldn't be enjoying the freedom of speech you so lightly take for granted.   :nono2:   

• sigma1914, Supramom2000 and mrro82 like this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

I prefered The Department of War.

#9 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Am I looking at the right channel?? Shows about Pompeii, Atlantis, Myth Hunters and conspiracies? What is up with this format?
The light at the end of the tunnel is a train coming.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...