Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV CEO Vows To Resist Cable Concentration, And High Charges For Weather Channel And Dodgers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,861 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

From Deadline:

DirecTV CEO Vows To Resist Cable Concentration, And High Charges For Weather Channel And Dodgers

While he hasn’t decided whether to oppose the deal in Washington, DirecTV CEO Mike White says Comcast’s $42.5B pact to buy Time Warner Cable would result in “unprecedented media concentration in one company.” DirecTV Weather channelThe No. 1 satellite service provider is “still assessing some of the competitive implications” but White wants to “ensure it’s appropriately scrutinized” — especially the “effective broadband monopoly they might have in two-thirds of the country.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Mr. Holtz, You've always been an avid follower of DIRECTV. I personally listened to the whole call and I think that Deadline Hollywood made a long story out of a very short moment in the event. DIRECTV CEO Mike White actually seemed very quick to dismiss the whole question. I think that article quotes every single word that was said in the exchange, which lasted less than a minute.
  • MysteryMan and Dude111 like this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,861 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

To be fair, I was looking for the latest Weather Channel/DirecTV articles. Unfortunately, I only can quote a small portion and link to the full article. :(
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:15 AM

If the Comcast-TW merger goes through, a Directv-Dish hookup becomes much more likely, just to stay competitive.  Does the gov't want that much consolidation in the industry?

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#5 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

If the Comcast-TW merger goes through, a Directv-Dish hookup becomes much more likely, just to stay competitive.  Does the gov't want that much consolidation in the industry?

I figure the government doesn't give a *s*. I don't tend to get into any politics here. I don't want to. But the one thing I will say, and it has nothing to do with any perception of the political parties, is that I'm of the belief that the country was bought and sold however long ago. If the Comcast/Time-Warner Cable deal doesn't go through, it's because the money wasn't influential enough.

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

Some would argue the opposite.  Merging Comcast and TWC still leaves 99% of areas with one cable company since so few overlap.  Which means most places have 2 satellite companies and one cable company to provide competition.  If they are lucky, they also get to choose between a Telco (Uverse or FIOS).   If DIRECTV and DISH merge, that removes a true competitor, where those markets with 3 options goes down to 2. 

• MysteryMan and daniloni like this
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   jeret

jeret

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Dish's Ergen to FCC: Deny Comcast/TWC Merger

http://broadcastingc...c-merger/132276

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

This is a potent little paragraph:

Ergen said Comcast/TWC would have three "choke" points it could use to harm competing for video service: the last mile connection, interconnections, and specialized services.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

The reason he didn't come out against it before was because he was apparently in talks hoping to merge with Directv. Now that everyone else is finding dance partners and he's left standing by himself he's crying foul.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Mebbe so, but I think the points are right on.....No? 

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,400 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I think it is much worse that they let providers own content (like Comcast owning NBC, and various RSNs) than Comcast/TWC merging.

• damondlt likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I think it is much worse that they let providers own content (like Comcast owning NBC, and various RSNs) than Comcast/TWC merging.

I completely agree with that.

• damondlt and fireponcoal like this

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

+1—

And especially sports teams.

#14 OFFLINE   jeret

jeret

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

FCC sets clock for Comcast's Time Warner Cable and Charter deals

http://www.latimes.c...0710-story.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...