Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does COMCAST charge you for more equipment and services than you have?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grunes

grunes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, Maryland

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

------------------------------------

(I'm especially interested others subscribed through the Lanham, MD cable affiliate, so we can take the matter up with the local cable commission, but I'd be curious if this is a nationwide problem.)

We have a long term problem with COMCAST. They keep charging us for boxes that we don't have, and for services to support those boxes.

Now, they started charging us for our modem, which we bought ourselves from Best Buy. It's possible - I'm not sure, that we are still being charged for service for the old modem too.

I'm starting to wonder whether this is typical, and whether most Comcast customers aren't being charged a substantial amount for stuff they don't have. Or is our case special?

Could you folks check?

To see what equipment you are charged for:

Visit http://comcast.net through a desktop browser. Firefox probably works best on Comcast's site.
Click on logon, enter your username and password.
Click on "My account"
Click on "My Services", near the bottom
Click on "Equipment". You may need to click on something to see the second page, etc.
Look for modems.
Count # of remotes
Count # of boxes, check types. Do they match?
See if there is anything else.

To see what services you are charged for:

Click on "Billing and Payments"
Click on "View or pay full bill"
Look for extra services that support things you don't have.

It all started with the installation, after they fooled us into switching to Digital Cable, years ahead of when we really needed to, because they kept claiming that Analog cable was about to stop working. (It finally has, to a large extant, but that isn't the subject of this post )

They were supposed to install and wire one DVR, one cable box and one DTA. After 5 visits by various contractors (they wouldn't send Comcast's own people, only contractors), over a period of a few months, they only got the DVR working, with the wrong channel line-up, and didn't give us the other boxes. We finally drove into the local Comcast affiliate office, in Lanham, MD, got self-install kits, and followed directions. Surprise - it started working immediately. Presumably, following directions was too complicated for the contractors used by the local COMCAST affiliate.

But they were charging us for one more cable box than we actually had. We complained - a lot, and they finally removed it.

Then we exchanged the cable box for a DVR, again by driving into the Comcast office with the old box. They started charging us for the DVR, but they kept charging us for the old cable box. We have complained many times, over a period of years. One of the last times, they said we have to prove we don't have the box. There is no way to prove a negative (we don't have a receipt for the exchange), so we asked them to at least stop service on that box. Not only would that reduce the bill, but when the customer who was using it called to complain, that might prove we didn't have it. But they said they can't discontinue service on a box.

If we discontinue COMCAST service, and move to Dish, DirectTV or Verizon, I bet COMCAST will charge us the purchase price of the box that we don't have. Actually it is worse than that - the serial # of one of the DVR boxes we do have is listed wrong, so they might charge us for that box too. And for the modem we bought ourselves.

COMCAST is, AFAIK, the leading U.S. Cable provider, possibly the leading Internet provider, and they will be even bigger after they buy Times-Warner. The parent company also owns NBC, Hulu, and a whole bunch of cable channels. That makes them a pretty big company. They aren't some empty shell company - they have the technical expertise to keep all this working, most of the time.

It doesn't seem possible they could be doing this systematically to many, many customers, else there would be congressional investigations. Maybe it's only the Lanham, MD office. But let's find out...

Edited by grunes, 20 February 2014 - 08:45 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

(I'm especially interested others subscribed through the Lanham, MD cable affiliate, so we can take the matter up with the local cable commission, but I'd be curious if this is a nationwide problem.)

We have a long term problem with COMCAST. They keep charging us for boxes that we don't have, and for services to support those boxes.

Now, they started charging us for our modem, which we bought ourselves from Best Buy. It's possible - I'm not sure, that we are still being charged for service for the old modem too.

I'm starting to wonder whether this is typical, and whether most Comcast customers aren't being charged a substantial amount for stuff they don't have. Or is our case special?

Could you folks check?

To see what equipment you are charged for:

Visit http://comcast.net through a desktop browser. Firefox probably works best on Comcast's site.
Click on logon, enter your username and password.
Click on "My account"
Click on "My Services", near the bottom
Click on "Equipment". You may need to click on something to see the second page, etc.
Look for modems.
Count # of remotes
Count # of boxes, check types. Do they match?
See if there is anything else.

To see what services you are charged for:

Click on "Billing and Payments"
Click on "View or pay full bill"
Look for extra services that support things you don't have.

It all started with the installation, after they fooled us into switching to Digital Cable, years ahead of when we really needed to, because they kept claiming that Analog cable was about to stop working. (It finally has, to a large extant, but that isn't the subject of this post )

They were supposed to install and wire one DVR, one cable box and one DTA. After 5 visits by various contractors (they wouldn't send Comcast's own people, only contractors), over a period of a few months, they only got the DVR working, with the wrong channel line-up, and didn't give us the other boxes. We finally drove into the local Comcast affiliate office, in Lanham, MD, got self-install kits, and followed directions. Surprise - it started working immediately. Presumably, following directions was too complicated for the contractors used by the local COMCAST affiliate.

But they were charging us for one more cable box than we actually had. We complained - a lot, and they finally removed it.

Then we exchanged the cable box for a DVR, again by driving into the Comcast office with the old box. They started charging us for the DVR, but they kept charging us for the old cable box. We have complained many times, over a period of years. One of the last times, they said we have to prove we don't have the box. There is no way to prove a negative (we don't have a receipt for the exchange), so we asked them to at least stop service on that box. Not only would that reduce the bill, but when the customer who was using it called to complain, that might prove we didn't have it. But they said they can't discontinue service on a box.

If we discontinue COMCAST service, and move to Dish, DirectTV or Verizon, I bet COMCAST will charge us the purchase price of the box that we don't have. Actually it is worse than that - the serial # of one of the DVR boxes we do have is listed wrong, so they might charge us for that box too. And for the modem we bought ourselves.

COMCAST is, AFAIK, the leading U.S. Cable provider, possibly the leading Internet provider, and they will be even bigger after they buy Times-Warner. The parent company also owns NBC, Hulu, and a whole bunch of cable channels. That makes them a pretty big company. They aren't some empty shell company - they have the technical expertise to keep all this working, most of the time.

It doesn't seem possible they could be doing this systematically to many, many customers, else there would be congressional investigations. Maybe it's only the Lanham, MD office. But let's find out...

YES!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3 OFFLINE   grunes

grunes

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, Maryland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

YES!

OK, brevity is the soul of wit.

But.could you be a little more specific?

E.g., which Comcast affiliate office you go through, what they are charging for that they shouldn't, whether you know anyone else with the same problem, etc.

If we both happen to go through the same office, and can find a few more people with the same problem, we could take it up together with the cable commission, or find a lawyer who takes class action lawsuits on a contingency basis.

Edited by grunes, 21 February 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   kojak 35

kojak 35

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

I work for a cable provider and I see this type of thing on a daily basis. The problem stems from commissions paid to sales reps. Not all, but some cable reps do put equipment on accounts that the customer doesn't have to increase their commission. I also see a very large trend when it comes to slamming customers with services they didn't ask for. Such as phone or internet. Sometimes cable, but that is less common then the other two. I have to say that the company I work for has a lackadaisical attitude when it comes to resolving such issues. The same is true for putting a stop to it. I can only assume this is because it results in more money for the company. For every person that has something like this happen and catches it, there is at least another person that won't find it. I don't know for certain but I would venture to guess this is common place for all providers to some extent. I for one am tired of seeing this and aim to put an end to it. It does nothing but anger customers and cause much distrust of the company. Not to mention it is a crime.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using DBSTalk mobile app

spam firewall