Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 replace CCK?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Have a new HR44 coming from SS.  Currently have a system of HR20, HR21 and HR22s, all hanging on a CCK (wireless).  Connected Home works fine.  When setting up the new HR44 do I just take advantage of the built-in wireless and take the CCK out of the system leaving everything else the same, DECAs, filters on the HR20, etc.  Alternatively, do I just turn off the built-in wireless on the HR44 and just put it in line with the existing system but without a DECA?

Thanks a lot.

LPB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

The HR44 will not work with an external CCK-W.  so you need to remove that and use the built in WiFi DECA on the HR44 which once connected will provide internet access to the other receivers.  Alternatively, I would run an ethernet cable to the HR44 for a rock solid connection 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Thanks a lot.  That is what I needed to know.  Unfortunately running ethernet is not a feasible option, but the current CCK wireless works just fine for my needs.

Thanks again.  Really looking forward the the 44.

LPB

#4 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

The HR44 will not work with an external CCK-W.  so you need to remove that and use the built in WiFi DECA on the HR44 which once connected will provide internet access to the other receivers.  Alternatively, I would run an ethernet cable to the HR44 for a rock solid connection 

Why wouldn't it work with the W-CCK or any CCK for that matter? Not saying you would want to, but why couldn't you just plug it in and the it get its internet connection from the W-CCK through the DECA cloud?

It's really no different than my HR44 getting its internet connection from my wired CCK in the home run cabinet.

• WestDC likes this

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Why wouldn't it work with the W-CCK or any CCK for that matter? 

Perhaps I should have said the HR44 would not configure the the CCK-W as it would not detect it.  I would guess that if you have other receivers you can configure it that way and it may work (or use PC), but I have never tried it.  I have however tried to configure a CCK-W with an HR44 and it did not find the "wireless adapter"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

So in the TS's situation, he has the option to either get rid of the W-CCK and use the HR44's built in WiFi adapter or add the HR44 to his existing setup knowing that the W-CCK must be configured with another receiver (if he ever needs re-configure it).

Edited by Go Beavs, 21 February 2014 - 10:27 AM.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,135 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Have a new HR44 coming from SS.  Currently have a system of HR20, HR21 and HR22s,  . . .

You're going from 6 tuners to either either 9 or 11 tuners, depending if you are replacing or adding.

My Q is - Do you have a SWiM-16 already install?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

So in the TS's situation, he has the option to either get rid of the W-CCK and use the HR44's built in WiFi adapter or add the HR44 to his existing setup knowing that the W-CCK must be configured with another receiver (if he ever needs re-configure it).

Ya.  or use PC

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yes - I have SWM 16.  And will thin the herd to no more than 5 recorders which plus 5 tuners on the HR44 should bring me in just under the wire; 5*2 + 5 < 16. 

On a kind of related point, is the HR44 wireless 5G/n?

Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and observations.

LPB

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

You must of bought the HR44 Genie from Solid Signal on the one day special deal of $200.  I had one of my "Refer-a-Friends" pick one up too. And I would have to think most members here are on their mailing list.

#11 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Yes - I have SWM 16.  And will thin the herd to no more than 5 recorders which plus 5 tuners on the HR44 should bring me in just under the wire; 5*2 + 5 < 16. 

LPB

Just make sure you don't have more than 8 tuners on any one leg of the SWiM-16.

The HR44's built in wireless unit can receive 2.4 and 5GHz 'n' WiFi signals.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#12 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

The WCCK can also do 5Ghz and 2.4 bands.  I'd use the one closer to your router or as mentioned above, hardwire to the 44.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#13 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

As long as the WCCK is already configured the HR44 will work with it just fine. If the WCCK is closer to your router I would just leave it in place if the 44 is closer take the WCCK out and use the internal WIFI.

#14 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,824 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

That's what I said. . . mostly.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#15 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,135 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

LPB

Just keep to the 8 rule

Edited by Drucifer, 23 February 2014 - 01:05 AM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#16 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the tip/alert about having no more than 8 tuners on a leg.  Because adding the 44 will extend my commitment for 2 more years I also took advantage of the free upgrade from DTV for a new HR24.  But as currently wired I will definitely have more than 8 tuners on one of the legs.  Fortunately I have coax run but not connected to accommodate the new setup.  Would have missed that though.  Is there a way to "down size" the HR44 to use only, say, 3, not 5 tuners?

The WCCK is sitting in exactly the same place as the new 44 will go with good wireless signal so I'll just continue to use that as it is already configured and working well.  Is there a proper sequence for setting the HR44 up to turn off the internal wireless?  Or is off the default?  That would make it easy. 

Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice.

LPB

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the tip/alert about having no more than 8 tuners on a leg.  Because adding the 44 will extend my commitment for 2 more years I also took advantage of the free upgrade from DTV for a new HR24.  But as currently wired I will definitely have more than 8 tuners on one of the legs.  Fortunately I have coax run but not connected to accommodate the new setup.  Would have missed that though.  Is there a way to "down size" the HR44 to use only, say, 3, not 5 tuners?

The WCCK is sitting in exactly the same place as the new 44 will go with good wireless signal so I'll just continue to use that as it is already configured and working well.  Is there a proper sequence for setting the HR44 up to turn off the internal wireless?  Or is off the default?  That would make it easy. 

Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice.

LPB

No, there is no way to disable tuners on the HR44, it will load with whatever tuners are available, but will give you a 776 (too many tuners) constantly

I would get rid of the CCK-W and use the HR44's built in wireless DECA, no need to have extra unnecessary equipment or better yet, connect using an ethernet cable.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Running a hard Ethernet cable from the switch to the HR44 is sufficiently complicated/complex to really discourage that option.  Furthermore, the quality of signal, speed, etc., with my in-place WCCK is very good - no problems at all.  So I at least need to give the wireless option a try here.  Over on the HD forum there are some comments about the HR44 internal wireless being not all that great.  And at least one post suggests staying with the WCCK because the wireless adapter is so much better.  But, if I disable the wireless in the HR44 will I then need a DECA for it to use the WCCK?  That is to say, the wireless adapter and DECA on the HR44 are paired/co-exist or whatever and to disable the wireless is to also disable the built-in DECA.  Bummer, hadn't counted on that but I have an extra that I can use.  How about using the spare ethernet port on the WCCK and just running cat5 from the HR44 to that port on the WCCK?  Is that an option?  Finally, can I use both the wireless in the HR44 and the WCCK at the same time on the same SWM-16?  That would be the most straightforward of all.  Leave everything as in, keeping the rule of 8 in mind, and just put the coax in the HR44 and use the wireless to get that STB to the router with everything else going through the WCCK as it does now. 

Thanks a lot.

LPB

#19 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,917 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

Ok you are way over thinking it I think.

When you set up your system leave the DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit out if the mix and use the wifi built into the hr44. It works great from my experience. And should be no different than the outboard DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit if it was plugged in next to it.

Second if you do have an issue which I doubt, but if you do you can easily add te DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit back in later.

You can not ever disable deca on the coax connection for the genie. Ever.

What you can do is disable the wifi in the genie by plugging an Ethernet cord directly into the genie. (Also you can stop it from connecting wifi by resetting network defaults so it forgets a connection). That is one or the other. But has nothing to do with the coax connection.

Also you can and should never run Internet into your system in more than one way. It's either Ethernet to genie, wifi via genie, or Ethernet to DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit or wifi to DIRECTV Wireless Boradband Internet Connection Kit. It's never more than one of those options or you will have all kinds if ip issues.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Ok you are way over thinking it I think.

Ya think?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...