Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 replace CCK?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Running a hard Ethernet cable from the switch to the HR44 is sufficiently complicated/complex to really discourage that option.  Furthermore, the quality of signal, speed, etc., with my in-place WCCK is very good - no problems at all.  So I at least need to give the wireless option a try here.  Over on the HD forum there are some comments about the HR44 internal wireless being not all that great.  And at least one post suggests staying with the WCCK because the wireless adapter is so much better.  But, if I disable the wireless in the HR44 will I then need a DECA for it to use the WCCK?  That is to say, the wireless adapter and DECA on the HR44 are paired/co-exist or whatever and to disable the wireless is to also disable the built-in DECA.  Bummer, hadn't counted on that but I have an extra that I can use.  How about using the spare ethernet port on the WCCK and just running cat5 from the HR44 to that port on the WCCK?  Is that an option?  Finally, can I use both the wireless in the HR44 and the WCCK at the same time on the same SWM-16?  That would be the most straightforward of all.  Leave everything as in, keeping the rule of 8 in mind, and just put the coax in the HR44 and use the wireless to get that STB to the router with everything else going through the WCCK as it does now. 

Thanks a lot.

LPB

I think your biggest "hurdle" is to make sure not to over subscribe the SWM. the internet connection is a piece of cake

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Definitely over thinking this. Guess I recall too vividly the nightmare I went through in 2010 or so taking a SL5 through a SWM 16 with lockers, splitters, getting the PI in the correct place, etc., to expect something to be very easy. So, toss the WCCK, set up the HR44 in wireless mode,expect the same signal strength as I now have, sit back and enjoy the merits of a lot of new technology.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments, suggestions and patience.

LPB

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

. So, toss the WCCK, set up the HR44 in wireless mode,expect the same signal strength as I now have, sit back and enjoy the merits of a lot of new technology.

Right on!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...