Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish tech chat - what a waste of time

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

So we recently got Dish for the 2nd time (I thought I could cut the cord, but the kids wanted Nick)...

Anyway, we had very high winds in Chicago area today.

I come home, dish shows complete signal loss.  I used to install these things in late 1990s, so I started troubleshooting.  Sat input 2 on my 722 shows complete signal loss.  Input 2 - Reception Verified.

I swapped Dish separator, since I had a spare - same issue.

I get on dish chat.  I describe the problem exactly to the point.

After 30 minutes, he's asking me if my TV is on and if I have an amplifier.

At this point I didn't want to waste another 30 minutes.... It's friday night and I have kids.

Then he asked if I can press "TV VCR" button on my remote. Yeah, VCR button.

At this point I didn't want to waste another 30 minutes.... It's friday night and I don't want to explain to some tech guy that VCR buttons are long gone.

The dish tech support is pathetic.  If I didn't have a commitment with them, I'd be gone today.

Sorry for the vent.

Edited by Andy74, 21 February 2014 - 07:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

How much snow in the dish?

#3 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Your 722 tuner 2 is probably shot........    DIsh RX's are junk........

SIG

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

Contact one of the DIRT members listed here http://www.dbstalk.c...ct-information/. They are far superior to the normal CSR when it comes to helping you resolve your issue. 722K receivers are actually quite good.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

The button is labeled "TV/VIDEO" ... or on the Hopper remotes "INPUT". Just a slip of the tongue.
And no, if you can see your receiver's menus that button would not help.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

I have always had very good luck using chat mode to contact DISH with a problem. Now, phone is where I run into problems, but when it comes to DIRT they are the best, however it is sometimes difficult to contact one when you need one right now. I would agree that the 722K is a pretty good receiver when I had one!

#7 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

The button is labeled "TV/VIDEO" ... or on the Hopper remotes "INPUT". Just a slip of the tongue.
And no, if you can see your receiver's menus that button would not help.

Agree, I was agrevated yesterday and not getting anywhere with .  I just ran check switch this morning - all inputs seem to be getting signal.  Must have been the snow. 

#8 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Agree, I was agrevated yesterday and not getting anywhere with .  I just ran check switch this morning - all inputs seem to be getting signal.  Must have been the snow. 

so it turns out you had snow on your dish. Well let's hope you didn't take it out on the agent since they were only trying to do their job and help.

#9 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Just FYI, might be worth it to pay the cancel fee (typically $17.50/mth for each month remaining in agreement, at last check) and move on. If you like sat, go with D*.

-=K=-

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

To be fair... yes, there are good and bad CSRs... and some follow a script too closely even when it doesn't apply to a specific customer scenario...  but they also don't know how qualified you are, how much sat-specific knowledge you have, or if you are telling them the truth either.  Consider... you apparently had snow in the area, and didn't seem to mention that, and apparently didn't check/clear the dish of snow in your troubleshooting.  So... not attacking you any more than the CSR here, but how is the CSR going to know snow on the dish was your problem if you didn't check that yourself?

• Rduce likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Just FYI, might be worth it to pay the cancel fee (typically $17.50/mth for each month remaining in agreement, at last check) and move on. If you like sat, go with D*.

-=K=-

Specially if you enjoy exorbitantly high prices once you have gotten past the 12 month scam price. 

#12 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

so it turns out you had snow on your dish. Well let's hope you didn't take it out on the agent since they were only trying to do their job and help.

Don't agree with this statement - it took dish agent over 30 minutes from joining the chat to responding with suggestions that were not very useful; most lkely they handle tens of chats at the same time; they're unable to respond in a targeted, timely manner.

In any case, the issue with 2nd input reappeared Sunday afternoon, I called my local installer, he came out this morning, swapped LNB at my cost and the receiver is now working again.  Less hassle this way.

To be fair... yes, there are good and bad CSRs... and some follow a script too closely even when it doesn't apply to a specific customer scenario...  but they also don't know how qualified you are, how much sat-specific knowledge you have, or if you are telling them the truth either.  Consider... you apparently had snow in the area, and didn't seem to mention that, and apparently didn't check/clear the dish of snow in your troubleshooting.  So... not attacking you any more than the CSR here, but how is the CSR going to know snow on the dish was your problem if you didn't check that yourself?

Actually my first point after starting the chat was that we had very high winds and that one satellite input is not getting a reception.  I don't expect the CSRs to determine how qualified customers are; but 30 minutes into the chat and we're still on "press tv/video or input" button - then this chat is not accomplishing it's results.

Also, I wasn't 'impolite' until the end.  I just made it clear that 30 minutes of general button pressing was all I could take.

Edited by Andy74, 24 February 2014 - 01:25 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...