Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

rvu tv

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

why would anyone want to use the rvu feature instead of having a client

I havent seen one in action but i can only guess that id rather have a client instead of using the samsung remote??

what is the response? i dont see the rvu being quicker than the client but would like some input there

currently talking everyone out of rvu and installing clients instead, it appears to cost the cx the same amount after 4 tvs anyway, why wouldnt you want more equipment, its not like the deca is any smaller than a client and the deca kit II are hideous with wires going all directions, maybe if the original cinema kit was used as in the smaller square box settop style

Does anyone have both side by side to compare?

Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,354 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:38 AM

You can use a rc71 remote with a RVU tv. And if it's working right it should be no different than using a outboard client. And since you could use just an Ethernet cable that is likely already plugged into the tv and dvr the power of the client yeah it's a great thing to use. But not all RVU tvs are as good as a client right now.

The real question is reverse of what you ask. What keeps someone from wanting less equipment.

#3 OFFLINE   stickywicket

stickywicket

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

You can use a rc71 remote with a RVU tv. And if it's working right it should be no different than using a outboard client. And since you could use just an Ethernet cable that is likely already plugged into the tv and dvr the power of the client yeah it's a great thing to use. But not all RVU tvs are as good as a client right now.

The real question is reverse of what you ask. What keeps someone from wanting less equipment.

I have a Samsung 46UNF7500 RVU TV connected via Ethernet to access my HR34. I chose not to pay $50 plus parts for a service call for the technician to run a cable from the dish or multi-switch for a Genie mini client and the required DECA to the Samsung located in a different room than my Genie. It seemed unnecessary since I can watch the recordings on all the DVRs connected to my network and watch live TV on a channel different from what is on the HR34. In addition, installations and/or repairs tend to be problematic because of the dish location, multi-switches, and cable runs.

I replaced the Samsung touch remote that comes with the 46UNF7500 with a standard remote. Both remotes have dedicated keys for the full and mini Guide, Menu, Info, Playlist, fast forward, rewind, record, and pause functions. It is missing some of the functions of a DirecTV remote, but I do not find them necessary when using RVU.

If for some reason you run into a problem, reboot the Genie. This will usually solve any issues. Do not call Samsung under any circumstances. They know absolutely nothing about the RVU feature. DirecTV tech support can help troubleshoot and solves any issues.

DirecTV subscriber since 1996

HR 34-700 / 2 HR24-500 / 2 HR24-200 / 2 HR24-100 / 2 HR22-100 / HR20-700

Slimline 5 / SWM16

GenieGo / Roku 3

Sony 46XBRHX929/ Samsung UN46F7500 (RVU) / Sony KDL-32W650A / Sony 26" / Sony 22"

Premier Package (Grandfather) / HD Extra Pack / Grandfathered Distant Networks (NY and LA): CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC

Protection Plan Premier

#4 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

well for me there is never less equipment

The rvu tv is sitting there in the box when i get there because they just bought it, no ethernet EVER at any tv during any install unless im in a milion dollar house.

Soooooo, Ill just talk them into a client then, i really dont want to waste my time updating their firmware and such just to get the rvu part working.......id rather just use a client i know how those work.

So its free install for a client, also free install for an rvu. After 4 tvs its still $50 for a client and $50 for an rvu.

To me it seems like more work to add a deca and also update the rvu and go through its setup, waste of time for installer period

If someone wants to setup the tv themselves thats perfectly fine go rvu then, but my customers are never that smart.

Edited by Jodean, 22 February 2014 - 07:26 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,354 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Wow. So you purposely make your customers purchase less valuable and talk bad about RVU tvs to them? Amazing.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,490 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

If someone wants to setup the tv themselves thats perfectly fine go rvu then

At the end of the day, this is the purpose of an RVU TV, to be able to be self installed by the customer, but DirecTV will also install them as well if they are no capable.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,982 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

An advantage of the RVU TV is that it's not a Directv piece of equipment.  So you can call them up and activate it.  And if you want to remove Directv service from it, call them and deactivate the RVU as a client.  Nothing to return and no contract.

If they send you a client, you have a 2 year contract and you can't (always) turn them off and on and hold on to the equipment. 

#8 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,735 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

I would like to see RVU in action and how it operates, and if watching live or recorded tv is as smooth as a client, But paying 6 as if a box was present is a big putoff.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,354 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Why? The box is "built in" on RVU tvs. That's the point really.

#10 OFFLINE   stickywicket

stickywicket

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

In addition, RVU TVs do not require a tuner, which is great if you are tuner challenged. I do not see a difference watching live TV or a recorded program on a RVU and a HD receiver. Is there a difference between a receiver and a client?

Slimline 5 / SWM16

GenieGo / Roku 3

Sony 46XBRHX929/ Samsung UN46F7500 (RVU) / Sony KDL-32W650A / Sony 26" / Sony 22"

Premier Package (Grandfather) / HD Extra Pack / Grandfathered Distant Networks (NY and LA): CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC

Protection Plan Premier

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,490 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

In addition, RVU TVs do not require a tuner, which is great if you are tuner challenged. I do not see a difference watching live TV or a recorded program on a RVU and a HD receiver. Is there a difference between a receiver and a client?

If you mean it does not use a tuner form the Genie, is not correct.  an RVU TV is no difference then a DirecTV RVU client, it uses a tuner to watch live TV.

while there are differences in the hardware, picture quality should be the same.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   stickywicket

stickywicket

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

If you mean it does not use a tuner form the Genie, is not correct.  an RVU TV is no difference then a DirecTV RVU client, it uses a tuner to watch live TV.

while there are differences in the hardware, picture quality should be the same.

No, I am referring to a needing a tuner from the satellite dish.

Edited by stickywicket, 23 February 2014 - 01:48 PM.

Slimline 5 / SWM16

GenieGo / Roku 3

Protection Plan Premier

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,490 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

No, I am referring to a needing a tuner from the satellite dish.

that is not an "advantage" as as long as you have a Genie you can have RVU, whether  is a DirecTV client or RVU TV.  or am I missing a point here?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

I would like to see RVU in action and how it operates, and if watching live or recorded tv is as smooth as a client, But paying 6 as if a box was present is a big putoff.

I know before I'd ever buy another TV because I wanted the RVU (now called DIRECTV Ready) function they'd have to have a Genie there to connect it to or have one hell of a return policy.

My RVU set is ethernet connected and no problems watching live or recorded TV, it's when you go to use DVR functions like skip that it really falls apart performance wise (using a DECA connection didn't help performance).

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

thats what i was looking for, its better to use a client if the tv client is flakey or slow

And......directv still charges to install the rvu, no bonus there at all.

I have a feeling directv may even start the 2 year contract over activating an rvu, if thats the case i would never let any do rvu, always a client...

So yes, i will tell all customers to do client instead of rvu. DONE!!

Thanks!!!

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,490 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

I have a feeling directv may even start the 2 year contract over activating an rvu, 

nope, no two year for activating an RVU TV

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   stickywicket

stickywicket

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

that is not an "advantage" as as long as you have a Genie you can have RVU, whether  is a DirecTV client or RVU TV.  or am I missing a point here?

It is an advantage for someone like me who does not have tuners available for a HD-DVR or does not want to spend the money for technician to install a mini-client.

Slimline 5 / SWM16

GenieGo / Roku 3

Protection Plan Premier

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,490 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

It is an advantage for someone like me who does not have tuners available for a HD-DVR or does not want to spend the money for technician to install a mini-client.

The same can be said about a Genie mini

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

how about a client?? say a retail client, does that restart the contract?

#20 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

thats good news, i just told a guy to get the client instead of activating his rvu, in a year he will add another room, at that time he can activate the rvu with no consequences and move the client to the newly finished room with no new contract.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...