Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Formula 1 2014 season discussion.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 509 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this year more so than last. Hopefully with all the rule changes Red Bull won't run away with the championships again this year. The front noses look absolutely hideous IMHO. At least they all don't look the same though.

dcd1425ja49.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   brian26339

brian26339

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Well, I'm with you. The end of the year last year when Seb went on that run, Red Bull was unbeatable. They may be paying the price now though. Red Bull have had an absolute disaster on their hands in preseason testing so far. Merc, on the other hand look to have everyone covered early, so we might just as easily have a different team on a streak to start the season. I guess we will see!

I know they changed the noses in the interest of safety by lowering them to keep them from getting airborne when the hit the back of another car. To me though, it looks like now if they hit another car directly in the rear they will just submarine under and the diffuser of the other car will be in the drivers face. I think I'd rather be airborne. Yep and not pretty either.

#3 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Well, I'm with you. The end of the year last year when Seb went on that run, Red Bull was unbeatable. They may be paying the price now though. Red Bull have had an absolute disaster on their hands in preseason testing so far. Merc, on the other hand look to have everyone covered early, so we might just as easily have a different team on a streak to start the season. I guess we will see!

I know they changed the noses in the interest of safety by lowering them to keep them from getting airborne when the hit the back of another car. To me though, it looks like now if they hit another car directly in the rear they will just submarine under and the diffuser of the other car will be in the drivers face. I think I'd rather be airborne. Yep and not pretty either.

Part of me thinks Red Bull is just screwing with the other teams by having "issues" but I'm also glad at the same time that they are. It was a complete bore watching races last year. Before the first lap was over Seb was ahead by at least a second negating the DRS and resulted in me deleting the recording and sighing. Apparently I wasn't the only one as viewrship suffered across the pond as well. I thought the same about the noses. Guess we'll find out. 

Edited by mrro82, 23 February 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

FYI...1st Practice coverage...3/13 7:30pm(MDT)...NBCSN 220..... :joy: :joy:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#5 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'm actually looking forward to this year more so than last. Hopefully with all the rule changes Red Bull won't run away with the championships again this year. The front noses look absolutely hideous IMHO. At least they all don't look the same though.

Have you seen the new Caterham....? !!

Edited by bnwrx, 03 March 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Have you seen the new Caterham....? !!

Yikes. Idk how they think that straight edge behind the extension is aerodynamic. At least they let the teams design their own so there is some difference. The Lotus nose is doing well so far and it's 2 pieces.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

Edited by mrro82, 03 March 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

FYI....: http://racer.com/ind...lans&Itemid=581

• mrro82 likes this

#8 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

FYI....: http://racer.com/ind...lans&Itemid=581

I like Leigh but I wouldn't mind hearing Bob Varsha again. Either way. Thanks for the info. Almost race time!

#9 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

I like Leigh but I wouldn't mind hearing Bob Varsha again. Either way. Thanks for the info. Almost race time!

I love Hobbs and Matchett, but I would like an "American" voice on there as well.

#10 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Practice on Friday should be pretty telling for the weekend I think. At least for this weekend. I'm hoping Red Bull are still having problems. Last year was a yawn IMHO. Looks like everyone has a fair shot so far except for the usual back markers but even they are making some strides towards to the middle.

#11 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I worked all weekend and just now go a chance to watch qualifying and the race. I'll start by saying I hate the way the engine sounds this year. It sounds like an IRL engine. The turbo sounds awesome though. I love the blow off valve and spooling sounds. I have to admit I was also cheering like the fans were when Vettel didn't make Q3 and when he retired. I hope to see that a lot this year. I do hope that Rosberg keeps up the good form but man, the other teams need to do something fast or Rosberg will quickly replace Vettel as an always winner. That would suck just like it has the past 4 years.

I was expecting more retirements too. Glad I was proven wrong about that. Magnusson had a great start as well. Always love to see a rookie on the podium. Should be an exciting season.

#12 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

The 2 main retirements,IE:Hamilton,Vettel, won't happen everytime. Their teammates were very strong. You have to believe both those guys will improve by Malaysia. It was exciting for 4-9th though. Will Williams have enough budget to keep improving? Massa did well in Qually, but was taken out by Kobayashi(penalty earned with that Banzai move!). He would hopefully be in the mix also. Agreed, their sound leaves a lot to be desired. Did you hear Force India owner Vijay Mallya's comment in FP#1? Bet  Bernie wished he could have edited that! Did you see the good tech peice by Matchett in the prerace show?. Those power units are SO COMPLEX!!! Great ideas in their early stages of development. I also concluded or rather reaffirmed the announce team for F1 is simply the best(still)! They offer terrific insight and make it exciting to watch the whole event. Looking forward to Race #2!!!!

Edited by bnwrx, 17 March 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

New rules explained video:

Edited by bnwrx, 17 March 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Also this sound comparison: 

#15 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

The 2 main retirements,IE:Hamilton,Vettel, won't happen everytime. Their teammates were very strong. You have to believe both those guys will improve by Malaysia. It was exciting for 4-9th though. Will Williams have enough budget to keep improving? Massa did well in Qually, but was taken out by Kobayashi(penalty earned with that Banzai move!). He would hopefully be in the mix also. Agreed, their sound leaves a lot to be desired. Did you hear Force India owner Vijay Mallya's comment in FP#1? Bet  Bernie wished he could have edited that! Did you see the good tech peice by Matchett in the prerace show?. Those power units are SO COMPLEX!!! Great ideas in their early stages of development. I also concluded or rather reaffirmed the announce team for F1 is simply the best(still)! They offer terrific insight and make it exciting to watch the whole event. Looking forward to Race #2!!!!

I agree they won't happen every time or very often I would imagine. I would honestly say at this point everyone with the exception of Marussia and Caterham looked good. I know it's early but for this race they looked pretty competitive. It was very refreshing seeing a shuffled up top 10 of sorts. I didn't hear Vijays comment. I couldn't find it on you tube unless my you tube-fu is lacking this morning. lol 

I love the pre-race show. NBC has blown Fox completely away with how much they've dedicated to the sport in comparison. It isn't even close and I love them for that. 

I see the drama has begun. Ricciardo lost his podium due to a fuel regulating issue? And hours after the race was over. Wow. 

Nice videos btw. I'm gonna miss the angry bees. 

#16 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

I can't remember exactly, but Vijay said something like..."Formula 1 needs to sound like Formula 1, not this...".  Summed it up well for me!

I don't understand why the "PreRace" show can't be setup as a "Season Record"?? Last year it was was the same and I inadvertently missed a couple. The Practice,Qually, Race and Extra are all on season record, why not the PreRace?  :unsure:

#17 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'd like it if they just included it in the race block itself instead of listing it separate. Speed used to do that and I never missed one. I saw somewhere that someone is trying to say F1 is in breach of contract because of the new sound. 😮

#18 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

dcd1425ja49.jpg

Damn ferrari better get their head out their azz and get the team up to speed it's a shame when the merc out pace the Ferrari with a damn rookie in the car! even redbull rookie did better then the Vet's of F1 take off the turbo's and give us back the V-8's with Ker's and let go racing again! I really want the V-16 back

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OPwMsnehg9g

Edited by dish556, 20 March 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I was out of town the past 2 weeks. I've only watched the Malaysian GP so far. Thoughts: You gotta feel a bit for Riccardio. Bad pit stop screwed him bad. Kimi had a terrible day again. Alonso not so much. Looks pretty exciting at Williams. Massa isn't going for team orders. On the one hand I understand but on the other, it's a team. The team needs the points. Not letting Bottas by might have cost them points. Then again maybe not. Could go either way. Mercedes is looking spectacular so far. Good for them. I hope they keep up the pace.

#20 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

When you get a chance to watch Bahrain, get 3 bags of popcorn, do not answer the doorbell, and turn your phone off. It a great race start to finish!  But thats just my opinion......

spam firewall