Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Formula 1 2014 season discussion.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yawn. I'm done with this season and maybe F1 for good. Predictable all the way around and the rule changes are for the worse. Congrats to Nico. See you guys next season maybe.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

I tried to watch Saturday's Toronto race ... it just happened to be on while I was flipping channels. I've been to Toronto. Hit record and watch later ...

Ok, so it is going to be a "wet" race - that is interesting. The pace car spun out on wet pavement. I have not seen that before. The race started without the pace car ... strange. But one of the top cars spun out and now it is declared that the race didn't start. Huh? And while the cars go back to parade laps the wrecked driver gets to fix his car penalty free (OK, he starts at the back ... but doesn't red flag mean STOP once they stopped the field?)

An 85 lap race becomes a timed race (whatever we can do in two hours if we ever get it started) becomes a 65 lap race later, maybe. My recording ran out before the race began (other than the false start).

Hopefully the other races are better ... but that shows how one race can influence a casual viewer's opinion of the sport.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   Blueflash

Blueflash

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

James, the Toronto races weren't F1 :) 

That was Indycar a USA based open wheel race. However it also has upper management issues. The rules seem to change week-in and week-out so it is unclear what is allowed so the consistency is horrible. 

#44 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

James, to the casual viewer,yes, Toronto race 1 was confusing. Technically speaking, by the rules, when Will Power spun, the Green flag had not been displayed. Had he not spun where he did, it would have been displayed, but...it wasn't. Therefore no Green flag, means no race start. It was then decided to delay the race to see if the rain would let up. Most of the drivers complained that on the back straight, they could not even see the side barriers because of the rain spray, and they were only going 60mph!!. That area of the track had been resurfaced because of the many bumps on it and thusly with the new pavement, the"fresh tar" if you will,  allowed the rain to "pool" on its surface much like wax on a cars surface, which in turn created a lot of water spots. So they waited and waited and......finally decided to postpone the race till Sunday AM.

So Sunday saw 2 races on the same day, with a few hours in between, not an overnite for the crews to work on the cars, but mere hours(Monyoya's crew actually did an engine swap in that time). I watched both races in there entirety on Sunday(what a treat for the people in Toronto!) and both were compelling in different ways. Good battles from 3rd thru 8-9 and close racing in my opinion. I am not trying to wave Indycar's flag here( but I am an open wheel fanatic--real racecars don't have fenders!), but they had to deal with rain and get 2 races in on the same weekend and they did!! (Try that NASCAR....?!)Consider watching the last 4 events this year, hopefully they will be good(many have been this year) and maybe Indycar can win you over.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

James, the Toronto races weren't F1 :)

Wow ... I suppose that is just how confusing it was! I guess I should be less casual.

I am not trying to wave Indycar's flag here( but I am an open wheel fanatic--real racecars don't have fenders!), but they had to deal with rain and get 2 races in on the same weekend and they did!! (Try that NASCAR....?!)

NASCAR has managed to do two on the same day in different series ... and the other divisions run have run on the same day as the top three series. Fortunately they don't try to run two points races on the same course on the same weekend in the same series. It seems like the open wheelers have trouble adjusting to having fenders.

I thought the green made it out before the spin ... perhaps the timing was just that close. Anyways, sorry for getting the wrong series.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hungary GP....Quite the race!!  Good efforts from Red Bull,Ferrari and Williams.  The 2nd half of the season might be really interesting.

And next is.....SPA!

#47 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Figures. I say I'm done for the season and Ferrari have a pretty decent weekend. Looks like I'm back in! On to Spa!

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#48 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Welcome back!!

Alonso, on raceday is absolutely amazing......

Ahhhhhh......Spaaaaaaa!!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...