Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Networks Fights Dennis Hopper Estate Over 'Hopper' Name

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

From The Hollywood Reporter:

In 2012, two years after the Easy Rider actor died, the trustees registered "Hopper" as a trademark for a class of goods that included sunglasses, motorcycle helmets and all sorts of electronic devices. On Jan. 31, the Trademark Office put out a notice of publication on the mark.

This week, Dish Network objected to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

You have to love the subheadline: The satellite TV giant warns of consumer confusion between the ad-skipping DVR and a dead celebrity. rolleyes.gif

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Is the DISH Hopper 1000 times better than Dennis ??

:eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

I think the problem here is...  Dish almost has to challenge this, for IF they do not... they run the risk of the Hopper estate realizing it and challenging their use of the name.

Dish just recently backed off the "TV Anywhere" trademark for similar reasons...  Dish may or may not have any trademark interests on "Hopper" but they surely don't want someone else to have that trademark.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

DISH had a use that pre-exists the filing by the Hopper family. Perhaps they can carve "television entertainment service" out of the long list of fictional protected uses.

DISH's trademark (# 4377209) applies to:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Digital video recorders; Electronic apparatus and devices for controlling access to pay-television services; communications equipment, namely, set-top boxes for receiving video programming; Television receivers; satellite receivers; set-top boxes; universal remote controls for home electronic devices, namely, televisions, VCRs, DVD players, digital video recorders, satellite receivers, stereo receivers, and stereo amplifiers; Computer hardware and software for streaming audio, video, image and data information to a variety of network devices, namely, personal computers, mobile phones, personal digital assistants (PDA), and stand-alone hardware decoders, namely, audio decoders and video decoders; electronic devices, namely, digital media streaming devices. FIRST USE: 20120100. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20120100

http://tmsearch.uspt...803:34kqij.2.41

The estate's application applies to:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Motorcycle goggles; motorcycle helmets; protective clothing and gear, namely, articles of protective clothing for wear by motorcyclists for protection against accident or injury, bags specially adapted for protective helmets; protective helmets; cellular phones; sound recording apparatus, MP3 players, laptops; headphones; downloadable posters and photographs; sound recordings featuring motorcycle sounds, music, spoken word and soundtracks; downloadable sound recordings featuring motorcycle sounds, music, spoken word and soundtracks; audiovisual recordings featuring motion picture films, portions of motion picture films, stills from motion picture films, documentaries, interviews, and footage featuring motorcycles, motorcycle events, artwork and photography; downloadable audiovisual recordings featuring motion picture films, portions of motion picture films, stills from motion picture films, documentaries, interviews, and footage featuring motorcycles, motorcycle events, artwork and photography; downloadable ringtones and graphics for mobile phones and wireless devices; downloadable electronic sheet music and posters; electronic equipment, namely, headphones and audio speakers; vinyl covers specially adapted for cell phones, MP3 players, laptops; sound recording apparatus and accessories, namely, covers specially adapted for such sound recording apparatus; musical sound recordings; downloadable music via the Internet and wireless devices; downloadable computer graphics; downloadable computer software containing sound and video recordings featuring motorcycles, art, photography, film, and the life of an actor and telephone ring tones; downloadable computer graphics in the nature of wallpapers, widgets, icons and photographs; downloadable computer graphics in the nature of banners; downloadable podcasts in the field of motorcycles, art, photography, film, and the life of an actor. downloadable electronic publications in the nature of books, magazines, newsletters, pamphlets, booklets and brochures in the field of motorcycles, art, photography, film, and the life of an actor; motion picture films in the field of motorcycles, art, photography, film, and the life of an actor; digital video discs in the field of motorcycles, art, photography, film, and the life of an actor; video game programs; electronic game programs; storage cases for CDs and DVDs; mobile telephone and personal electronic device cases and covers; computer mouse pads, earphones

IC 018. US 001 002 003 022 041. G & S: Bags, namely, messenger bags, all-purpose sports bags, duffel bags, carry-all bags; wallets; luggage; backpacks; trunks and traveling bags; tote bags; carrying cases; leather goods included in this class, namely, leather key chains, leather pouches, leather cases; umbrellas

IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, shirts, pants, jackets, t-shirts, denim shirts, jeans, denim jackets, leather jackets, ponchos; footwear, headwear; clothing, namely, motorcycle gloves, motorcycle jackets and motorcycle rain suits, footwear and headwear for use with motorcycles

http://tmsearch.uspt...803:34kqij.2.14
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

Well, when I first saw the Hopper at CES a few years ago, the first thing that jumped into my mind was Dennis Hopper being blown to smithereens off his chopper. 

Perhaps the Sovereign State of Australia should sue, too. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

This too is a Hopper:

edwardhopper3.jpg

I think his estate was given to the Whitney Museum of American Art.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

This too is a Hopper:

I think his estate was given to the Whitney Museum of American Art.

And a very nice one, too! The estate was bequeathed by his wife, who died within a year of his death. She was also a painter, but the Whitney got rid of most of her artwork, and doesn't exhibit the rest. 

There's also a Hopper House (®??) in Nyack, NY, to which you can make donations, or go see his house there. 

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Speaking of Hopper, as a small child, my first pet was a rabbit. I named him "Hoppy".

Speaking of pets, let's let this thread wander even further off topic. :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

Yesssss!

A friend of mine's Mum married a fine English gentleman who was an outstanding cricket bowler (sorta like a pitcher). He had a hop in his delivery, and became known as Hopper, or Hoppy for short. 

Carry on!

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

It isn't thread drift ... it is topic hop. :D
  • Laxguy likes this
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,433 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

It all reflects the absurd condition into which our name trademark system has fallen. After all, Dictionary.com tells us:

hopper_dict.jpg

But who am I to understand all the in's and out's of trademark law....

My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

Personally, I think Hopper and Joey are dumb names for a DBS receiver anyway! marketing dept must be very desperate for names.

#13 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

And here I thought that they were saying "HOPPA" in all those commercials. :grin:

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

With that accent they could be saying Hoffa.

#15 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

And here I thought that they were saying "HOPPA" in all those commercials. :grin:

No, it was "Hoppah", propah pronunciation in pats of Bastin. 

Any Southies here? 

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Personally, I think Hopper and Joey are dumb names for a DBS receiver anyway! marketing dept must be very desperate for names.

Sky Hopper. :)

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Hopalong Cassidy.

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Could it be...?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Is the DISH Hopper 1000 times better than Dennis ??

:eek2:

Yes, but Hopper <<<<<<<<<<<< Genie

Protected By... spam firewall...And...