Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Carol for Another Christmas

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

I was just watching the news about Ukraine, and seeing how they are on the verge of Balkanizing themselves even though they aren't even in the Balkans, and it brought to mind a TV show that I had seen back in the 1960s and have often thought of but never pursued.

It was written by Rod Serling and had the feel of a Twilight Zone episode.  I remembered a segment of that show depicting the world after a nuclear war, when we had basically bombed ourselves back to the stone age, but the people were not satisfied to stop there.  Some guy, designated as The Imperial ME, was rallying the survivors to continue to fragment and kill one another, until only one of them was left.

I just Googled a phrase from that show that I remembered, "I am the Imperial Me" and found that the show I remembered was a United Nations special titled, "A Carol for Another Christmas."  It was broadcast in December of 1964, but then never rebroadcast until late December of 2012 and again in December of 2013, on TCM.

The cast is a mindblower.  Peter Sellers, Sterling Hayden, Eva Marie Saint, Ben Gazzara, Steve Lawrence, Pat Hingle, Robert Shaw, Britt Ekland, Percy Rodrigues.  I had to click the name of Percy Rodrigues and then search for his images to find out who he was.  Yet another instance of a Rod Serling show that casts someone before he had become recognizable.

They didn't list the bit players in the credits.  Joe Santos, later of the Rockford files, was one.  Peter Fonda had his part cut out of the finished print, and Richard Harris's name is elsewhere associated with the casting, leading to the conclusion that he might have been in unused footage also.

It is listed variously as unavailable for sale, and so as best as I can determine, the only way to see it presently is to visit one of the two film museums that have copies.  I'm hopeful that TCM will run it again this December.

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,756 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Someone found it on youtube.  I just finished watching it, and was not disappointed.  The third dream sequence, featuring Peter Sellers as the Imperial ME, was priceless.

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 February 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...