Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Format Hopper External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

Can I format a hard drive that I used on my DISH Hopper do I can use the hard drive on my computer?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Yes but you will need some flavor of Linux I believe.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Not to be used by both at the same time...  but if you are looking to use it on your computer instead of your Dish receiver, you should have some form of "disk manager" in whatever operating system you are using that will allow you to delete partitions and reformat.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Not to be used by both at the same time... but if you are looking to use it on your computer instead of your Dish receiver, you should have some form of "disk manager" in whatever operating system you are using that will allow you to delete partitions and reformat.

Any recommendations? I plan on using the had drive on my computer only.

When I look at the hard drive on the MY COMPUTER window the hard drive fir some weird reason is listed as a CD Drive. Why would a Western Digital hard drive be recognized as a CD Drive?

Edited by SeaBeagle, 23 February 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,795 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

Your computer may be seeing only the read only portion of the drive ... a small section with WD software for managing the drive. The writable portion of the drive should show up but may be unrecognized after your DISH receiver formatted it.

(Several of the recent drives I have purchased are "two drives", one with backup/drive management software and the other for the actual storage.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Your computer may be seeing only the read only portion of the drive ... a small section with WD software for managing the drive. The writable portion of the drive should show up but may be unrecognized after your DISH receiver formatted it.

(Several of the recent drives I have purchased are "two drives", one with backup/drive management software and the other for the actual storage.)

I decided to forget the whole idea. I purchased me a 1TB Western Digital USB powered hard drive for 54.00 including shipping.

Model number is MFR: Western Digital MFR Part#: WDBUZG0010BBK-NESN. I may purchase another just fir a second backup.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,620 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, James is probably right... some hard drives have installable software on a partition that "looks" like a CD drive to many computers for ease of installation of that software (should you choose to install it)...  you probably are just as well off having a new drive, though,  and you know what you're doing with that one since you'll be starting from scratch.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Oh I finally formatted the hard drive using EaseUS. Took awhile to figure out but worked. Not backing to every file on my computer using My PC Backup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...