Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can DTV Please Give More Bandwidth to the Sundance Channel?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

It has to be embarassing that I get a better picture streaming Netflix at 1Mbps than I get watching the Sundance Channel on DTV.

SD quality can look OK if they give it a decent amount of bandwidth.

jdg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,739 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Only if that bandwidth was available. Is well known that compresses the sh!t out of SD content

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Is well known that compresses the sh!t out of SD content

Does that make it right?

That DIRECTV is tapped out on bandwidth compatible with SD receivers means that things probably aren't going to get better for SD.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Dear God please don't give any more bandwidth to an SD channel, get RID of the SD channel and get us Sundance in HD.....

• LilCozyFab likes this

#5 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

How many Mbps does directv give to sd channels

Edited by richard1428, 24 February 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Dear God please don't give any more bandwidth to an SD channel, get RID of the SD channel and get us Sundance in HD.....

I totally agree, but in the meantime...

#7 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,052 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Reportedly varies between around ~1-3 mbps on their Ku band SD channels.

DIRECTV down-rezzes them to around 480 x 480 resolution before temporal compression and sometimes even less, and from last count packs up a to maximum 14 channels per transponder.

(Ku DBS transponders are 24 Mhz wide) 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

DIRECTV down-rezzes them to around 480 x 480 resolution before temporal compression and sometimes even less, and from last count packs up a to maximum 14 channels per transponder.

According to the most recent transponder charts, there were 13 video channels and four audio channels on 101W TP9.

As for Sundance, it shares space with 7 other video channels and the DIRECTV Active Channel.

WN 362
GOTV 288
TNNS 217
ACT 9999
TRAV 277
SUND 557
PENT 587
PBTV 579
VIVID 585

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

is it a question ? ;)

I could give a current bitrate of the channel, but it wouldn't be same next hour/day/month

; statistical multiplexer (loading one tpn) does  produce variable bitrate for each channel basing on current parameters of all streams [channels] and some rules

Edited by P Smith, 24 February 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

According to the most recent transponder charts, there were 13 video channels and four audio channels on 101W TP9.

As for Sundance, it shares space with 7 other video channels and the DIRECTV Active Channel.

WN 362
GOTV 288
TNNS 217
ACT 9999
TRAV 277
SUND 557
PENT 587
PBTV 579
VIVID 585

The Transponder Maps are usually grabbed overnight so they don't show part time channels like RSN Alternates, PPV Events, Rugby, UEFA, EPL, ESPN Game Plan, Full Court, Private network broadcasts and other things that are only live during evenings. The NHL is still on a break because of the Olympics so very few alternates are in use right now with NBA being the only major sport in action tonight, but in a few days if you browse every SD RSN alternate as well as the extra non-carried RSN feeds on Center Ice and League Pass and grab the details via the IP command you'll see some of them on this and other transponders.

Edited by KyL416, 24 February 2014 - 08:28 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

And what about those who can't afford to pay for HD or who don't have an HD capable television? Directv needs to cater to all of it's customers, not just the ones with HD.

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Even a down razzed Hi Definition channel would be much better.

#13 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Whats SD?

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,739 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

And what about those who can't afford to pay for HD or who don't have an HD capable television? Directv needs to cater to all of it's customers, not just the ones with HD.

These group keeps getting smaller and smaller every day and eventually they will have to adapt 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

I imagine if pay TV had been around when color TV made its appearance, there would have been a "color TV fee" for a while, and eventually those with B&W sets who didn't want to pay it would be forced to move forward with the times or change providers.

Dropping SD is at minimum several years away for Directv, probably longer. When they do drop SD, it remains to be seen how they treat those who stick with SD sets and don't want to pay the HD fee. Directv's HD equipment can of course display HD channels on SD TVs - in SD of course. But I'll bet at some point you won't be able to save any money by being a SD holdout.

It would be really stupid to charge a HD fee once they're HD only, at some point they'll probably drop that fee and increase the base price of their packages to make up for it. Maybe they'd have the bottom end package be SD only (by having the HD outputs on receivers disabled) so they can have a really cheap option, but it would be missing a lot of channels most people want.

Anyone want to bet on whether they'll charge a "4K fee" when they start putting out 4K channels? I'm sure some beancounters at Directv HQ have already made projections about how much they can collect in 4K fees in 2016 or something :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I imagine if pay TV had been around when color TV made its appearance, there would have been a "color TV fee" for a while, and eventually those with B&W sets who didn't want to pay it would be forced to move forward with the times or change providers.

Dropping SD is at minimum several years away for Directv, probably longer. When they do drop SD, it remains to be seen how they treat those who stick with SD sets and don't want to pay the HD fee. Directv's HD equipment can of course display HD channels on SD TVs - in SD of course. But I'll bet at some point you won't be able to save any money by being a SD holdout.

It would be really stupid to charge a HD fee once they're HD only, at some point they'll probably drop that fee and increase the base price of their packages to make up for it. Maybe they'd have the bottom end package be SD only (by having the HD outputs on receivers disabled) so they can have a really cheap option, but it would be missing a lot of channels most people want.

Anyone want to bet on whether they'll charge a "4K fee" when they start putting out 4K channels? I'm sure some beancounters at Directv HQ have already made projections about how much they can collect in 4K fees in 2016 or something :)

I just mentioned this on another thread. We're years away from seeing 4K and it's highly doubtful 4K would be used in broadcast TV. Movies might make a move to 4K but I can't see broadcast networks making the move. Until the prices come down, I don't think too many people are jumping on the 4K bandwagon when the TVs range close to $10K and there's virtually no content out there to watch in 4K. 

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,407 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

I just mentioned this on another thread. We're years away from seeing 4K and it's highly doubtful 4K would be used in broadcast TV. Movies might make a move to 4K but I can't see broadcast networks making the move. Until the prices come down, I don't think too many people are jumping on the 4K bandwagon when the TVs range close to $10K and there's virtually no content out there to watch in 4K. 

You've been able to buy 50" 4K TVs for under $1000 for almost a year now. Maybe not the best quality... It costs almost nothing to make a LCD screen with 4x more pixels (think about the resolution of phones and tablets using LCDs) The additional cost is in the electronics, but those get cheaper every year. In a couple years the majority of TVs sold will be 4K, a couple years after that 100% of them will be.

I agree with you about content though, it costs more to produce and distribute 4K and it isn't clear where the payback is unless people believe in 4K enough to pay for their cable/satellite providers extra for it, and those providers in return pay networks more for it.

Some early adopters will go for it, because it is "new", just like they did with 3D, but I personally think it'll end up like 3D and never make it past the early adopters to mass market success. It nothing like the dramatic improvement HD was. The only way it'll sell at all is because it really does look a lot better from three feet away, where many people will see it for the first time in Best Buy or Walmart. Unfortunately it makes little or no difference at typical viewing distances.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

In five years most tvs sold will be 4k. This change will happen purely through the need to upgrade existing equipment IMHO. Not just because they want a shift in technology. But my goodness is 4k great.

#19 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

In five years most tvs sold will be 4k. This change will happen purely through the need to upgrade existing equipment IMHO. Not just because they want a shift in technology. But my goodness is 4k great.

Yes, 4k is nice but it is not anywhere close to the magnitude of SD to HD.

Plus, you really need to sit much closer to the TV than people do in their home.

Take Value Electronics for example. In their showroom, the chairs are just 4 feet in front of an 85 inch screen. This is something you will not find in virtually any home.

In fact, most people are sitting further away from their HDTV to even be able to see 1080 resolution from their seat.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Whats SD?

A city in S. CA, on the coast, near Mexico.      !

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...