Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OnDemand content a bandwidth hog

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrD1sturbed

MrD1sturbed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

So today I officially hit my bandwidth cap with Comcast due to watching OnDemand content from DirecTV. It's probably ignorance on my part but I had no idea that watching OnDemand content downloaded the entire HD episode of the show I was watching, and in my case seasons (watched all of Game of Thrones and season 1 & 2 of Dexter this month). Why is it that DTV doesn't just stream this content like every other provider or service does? With the internet age literred with bandwidth caps and overage fees theres got to be another way! I am seriously considering switching to Xfinity TV in order to indulge in my OnDemand watching without fear of killing my bandwidth cap. Anyone else run into this situation?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Streaming wouldn't help your case much as you would still be receiving all of that data.  The only thing that would help you is D* making SD versions of the shows available to not use as much data.  Personally, I stay with DSL because of no bandwidth caps and I hope D* keeps the premium channel VOD as is.

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

Down Load or Stream MB's are MB's and everything counts( that's not COMCAST) - What I did was upgrade my Comcast internet only to Blast / digital tv 50/10 - activated my Xbox 360 and using the Xfinity App I can find most everything and get HBO -HD and such and Some How :) that doesn't seam to effect my Bandwidth usage ,HUM!

Good thing is it's a sort month and it will reset soon.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Personally, I stay with DSL because of no bandwidth caps...

Bandwidth caps are coming to DSL as well.

http://www.engadget....e-overage-fees/

Edited by john262, 24 February 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,015 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

AT&T doesn't enforce it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

My provider doesn't yet have cap limits.  Verizon FIOS in the Dallas area.

DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#7 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

So today I officially hit my bandwidth cap with Comcast due to watching OnDemand content from DirecTV. It's probably ignorance on my part but I had no idea that watching OnDemand content downloaded the entire HD episode of the show I was watching, and in my case seasons (watched all of Game of Thrones and season 1 & 2 of Dexter this month). Why is it that DTV doesn't just stream this content like every other provider or service does? With the internet age literred with bandwidth caps and overage fees theres got to be another way! I am seriously considering switching to Xfinity TV in order to indulge in my OnDemand watching without fear of killing my bandwidth cap. Anyone else run into this situation?

In other words, Comcast is playing you like a fiddle. You will get their TV because their bandwidth limits on their internet. Worked like a charm.

A big reason why I will not go back to Comcast for internet.

• WB4CS likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

They do stream, although it is not nearly as elegant as Netflix or Apple TV. Use the "watch now" rather than download and you will get a less bandwidth intensive version.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

AT&T doesn't enforce it.

Oddly enough, neither does Comcast.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

I watch a lot of DirecTV on demand, plus a lot of Netflix.

15MB down / 1MB up

$34.99 per month

I have Verizon DSL and NO PROBLEMS.

(My router shows over 250GB of usage already this month and its only the 24th.)

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,937 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Why is it that DTV doesn't just stream this content like every other provider or service does?

Because they don't have the satellite bandwidth required to send demand content to their base of 20 million US households. Your local cable operator gets away with it because they have a MUCH smaller customer base (perhaps less than 1/1000th) and a routed fiber connection. Its all DIRECTV can do to send the 500 or so live channels that they send now.

If you need demand content and can't figure out how to effectively simulate it with a DVR, satellite TV is NOT for you. It isn't an indictment of you or satellite TV, its just how things are.

Edited by harsh, 24 February 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Because they don't have the satellite bandwidth required to send demand content to their base of 20 million US households. Your local cable operator gets away with it because they have a MUCH smaller customer base (perhaps less than 1/1000th) and a routed fiber connection. Its all DIRECTV can do to send the 500 or so live channels that they send now.If you need demand content and can't figure out how to effectively simulate it with a DVR, satellite TV is NOT for you. It isn't an indictment of you or satellite TV, its just how things are.

The local cable companies use their internet to send on demand. They just don't count it against your caps. But we know no one would be that conniving, would they?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#13 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

They do stream, although it is not nearly as elegant as Netflix or Apple TV. Use the "watch now" rather than download and you will get a less bandwidth intensive version.

That is not streaming. That is just adjusting the download size to your internet speed. It still copies it to your drive, something "elegant" that streaming doesn't do.

#14 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

That is not streaming. That is just adjusting the download size to your internet speed. It still copies it to your drive, something "elegant" that streaming doesn't do.

My post was attempting to be helpful, was yours?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

My post was attempting to be helpful, was yours?

Well, he was trying to correct your "boo-boo" DirecTV does not stream, even the "watch now" option is a download

• tonyd79 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Maybe Directv should levy a complaint to the FCC and FTC, especially given the current TWC/Comcast merger.  Directv could use this merger to highlight to the public and government the anti-competitive actions of Comcast.

#17 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Maybe Directv should levy a complaint to the FCC and FTC, especially given the current TWC/Comcast merger.  Directv could use this merger to highlight to the public and government the anti-competitive actions of Comcast.

It seems the FCC doesn't care about any of this anymore.

#18 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

That article is from two years ago.  I have CenturyLink DSL, and have had it for at least 4-5 years.  Unlimited bandwidth.  No caps whatsoever.  No plans to cap.  Sounds like some who have ATT DSL that the caps have not been enforced. 

Bandwidth caps haven't come at all to this DSL subscriber two years after this article was written.

#19 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

If you're using OnDemand for regular network shows on a regular basis, use your DVR instead. Same for HBO and premium stuff. Save OnDemand fur those odd things you miss or want to sample before setting up a series link. Saves your bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#20 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

It seems the FCC doesn't care about any of this anymore.

Pretty much. The head of the FCC is a former cable lobbyist which is bad news for us the consumers. 

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

Protected By... spam firewall...And...