Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR23-700

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Upgraded from a HD receiver to an HD DVR and received the HR23-700. It looks pretty old, I was hoping to get the HR24. When I navigate through things it seems pretty slow.. Seems like that's all they've had here locally. I know the only way to get an exact model is to purchase it from solid signal I believe it is.. Is there a noticeable difference between the HR23 and HR24 or not really?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

Is there a noticeable difference between the HR23 and HR24 or not really?

Of course there is!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Do you have a SWM setup (one coax cable to the DVR)?

#4 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

Of course there is!

Well crap lol.. Seems like in this area that's all they've had.. I'm probably used to the genie but when I was operating the HR23, it lagged behind pretty bad.. I guess I don't have much of a choice

#5 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

As far as I know that's what it is.. I have four receivers. Two being HD DVR's (Genie HR44 & HR23), the other two being HD receivers (H25). When the technician was here last Friday he had to put in a new setup as the previous didn't have enough tuners to operate..

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Why would this make a difference?  Just curious 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

I wanna say he called it a SWM16 or Swim 16 but I could be wrong

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Why would this make a difference?  Just curious 

No BBC's needed :)

Since he has SWM, this "benefit" doesn't come into play.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

No BBC's needed :)

Since he has SWM, this "benefit" doesn't come into play.

The HR23 does not need BBCs regardless SWM or no SWM ;)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,378 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Upgraded from a HD receiver to an HD DVR and received the HR23-700. It looks pretty old, I was hoping to get the HR24. When I navigate through things it seems pretty slow.. Seems like that's all they've had here locally. I know the only way to get an exact model is to purchase it from solid signal I believe it is.. Is there a noticeable difference between the HR23 and HR24 or not really?

The HR24 is definitely faster than the HR23. I had an HR23-700 and it worked OK. I do not have the Whole Home or Internet stuff hooked to my system. My HR23 burned up and so did many others about the same time. I do not know what burned. It was working perfectly when I went to bed that night and when I got up it was dead and I could smell and electrical type burn smell in the room. They replaced it with an HR24 so now I have 2.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,843 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Me personally - I would have cancel the upgrade if I didn't receive a HR24.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,688 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

The HR23 does not need BBCs regardless SWM or no SWM ;)

Well yeah, but in a SWM environment, neither does anything else. So the one potential benefit of the 23 is that it doesn't need them in a non swm environment. I can see some seeing that as a benefit, just like some get rid of HR20-100's when possible for a cleaner setup. Those BBC's do take up a bit of room back there and have been known to fail.

#13 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Me personally - I would have cancel the upgrade if I didn't receive a HR24.

Well, I didn't know I was getting the HR23. They sent a tech out, who had to upgrade my system to the SWM16. After he did all of that hard work in near blizzard conditions, he came in with that. After him taking the time to complete that work in those conditions, I wasn't about to tell him no because it's not the right receiver. My hope all along was getting the HR24, but it didn't work out. The first day I got it, I called in and complained how slow it was. They sent out a replacement, and it's the same exact model. I haven't even opened it and don't plan to. It's going to do the same thing, it's just that model. They'll just keep sending me out the same replacement so that won't work.

#14 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,843 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Well, I didn't know I was getting the HR23. They sent a tech out, who had to upgrade my system to the SWM16. After he did all of that hard work in near blizzard conditions, he came in with that. After him taking the time to complete that work in those conditions, I wasn't about to tell him no because it's not the right receiver. My hope all along was getting the HR24, but it didn't work out. The first day I got it, I called in and complained how slow it was. They sent out a replacement, and it's the same exact model. I haven't even opened it and don't plan to. It's going to do the same thing, it's just that model. They'll just keep sending me out the same replacement so that won't work.

It is damn amazing how they do that when all HR2x in their inventory system are supposed to equal. I've be going thru HR21 replacements for years and I always seem to get another HR21. Yep it's truly amazing how the high odds on getting the same model is easily defeated by DirecTV.

Edited by Drucifer, 25 February 2014 - 01:13 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

It is damn amazing how they do that when all HR2x in their inventory system are supposed to equal. I've be going thru HR21 replacements for years and I always seem to get another HR21. Yep it's truly amazing how the high odds on getting the same model is easily defeated by DirecTV.

I think it's just coincidence.  I replaced a failing HR22 a couple months ago and was sent an HR24 in the mail, so it can happen.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#16 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Good news! Got 'upgraded' to the HR24 yesterday. The first tech that originally had the job said he didn't have any HR24's on his truck so he didn't see the point in coming out, and I agreed. He ended up giving the job to another guy and he happened to come with an HR24 which I found a little ironic. The first guy had to tell him about it. No more HR23! Right now though in this area, it seems like that is all they are giving people is the HR23. I just happened to luck out and I can already notice a difference in the units speed between the two, I am much happier with the HR24. Of course it's not near as good as my HR44, but I can't have two of those right now..

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,378 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the update.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#18 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Is it normal for the HR24 to sound a little loud? The genie is so quiet, but I've noticed the HR24 has a little noise to it. I'd hope that's normal and I want to say I remember it in the past.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

My HR24 is whisper quiet 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

Uh oh.. Hopefully I didn't get a bad one, that would be my luck. Then for a replacement they'd send me an HR23 lol. I noticed a fan type noise that I can hear pretty well and noticed it gets warm pretty fast.. Never know what you are getting, nothing seems to be new.

spam firewall