Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR23-700

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Is it normal for the HR24 to sound a little loud? The genie is so quiet, but I've noticed the HR24 has a little noise to it. I'd hope that's normal and I want to say I remember it in the past.

Fan noise? Yes. My wife picks up the slightest sound and it took her a good week to get used to the fan on our bedroom HR24.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

nothing seems to be new.

Your are not going to get a new HR24, that's for sure

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

Your are not going to get a new HR24, that's for sure

Oh well, as long as it works.. It's quite a bit faster than the HR23, so I'm happy.

#24 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Uh oh.. Hopefully I didn't get a bad one, that would be my luck. Then for a replacement they'd send me an HR23 lol. I noticed a fan type noise that I can hear pretty well and noticed it gets warm pretty fast.. Never know what you are getting, nothing seems to be new.

To check the internal temp:

Menu, Settings, System Info and test, More Info. The internal temp should be on the bottom right hand side.

One of mine runs 122° and the other one is at 113°. I don't think it is a worry unless the get over 135°.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#25 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

To check the internal temp:

Menu, Settings, System Info and test, More Info. The internal temp should be on the bottom right hand side.

One of mine runs 122° and the other one is at 113°. I don't think it is a worry unless the get over 135°.

Mine is currently at 108°

#26 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Also, since I am using an RF remote, is there a way to have the receiver at RF or don't this receiver support that? I wasn't sure. I like RF a lot more than IR but I'm not sure which ones have it and which ones don't

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Also, since I am using an RF remote, is there a way to have the receiver at RF or don't this receiver support that? I wasn't sure. I like RF a lot more than IR but I'm not sure which ones have it and which ones don't

Yes, the HR23 supports RF and it has a built on RF antenna.  Pretty much all receivers but the "D" series SD receivers supports RF. some need an external antenna and then the H25 needs a "special" dongle 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Yes, the HR23 supports RF and it has a built on RF antenna.  Pretty much all receivers but the "D" series SD receivers supports RF. some need an external antenna and then the H25 needs a "special" dongle 

Well I don't have the HR23 any longer, I now have the HR24 so I am assuming the HR24 has those capabilities as well. 

#29 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

I am using the RC71 remote for all the receivers I have..

HR44

HR24

H25

H25

That's what the installer gave me.. So I was just wondering if this remote would work with the HR24 in RF mode

#30 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

I am using the RC71 remote for all the receivers I have..

HR44

HR24

H25

H25

That's what the installer gave me.. So I was just wondering if this remote would work with the HR24 in RF mode

No.

It only works with the Hr44 and the C41 client. It is a different RF than used with the HR2X and H2X receivers.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#31 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

No.

It only works with the Hr44 and the C41 client. It is a different RF than used with the HR2X and H2X receivers.

Well, that's unfortunate. I really like the RC71 remote. What remote will be required to get RF on the HR24? 

#32 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Well, that's unfortunate. I really like the RC71 remote. What remote will be required to get RF on the HR24? 

You can buy the RC65RX and RC66RX remotes on Ebay or Amazon for about $7.50 each delivered.

I just bought 2 of the RC66X models for $11.50 for the pair of them. I do not need RF capability.

#33 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

As soon as our current house sells and we build a new house (wife's design is off to the Architect for blue prints) we are going to drop from 4 TV locations (2xHR23 and 2xDTivo "old style") down to 3 locations... and I will have to make a decision about what to retire

BOTH of our leased HR23's have minor problems of one kind or another... while our 2xDTivo boxes just keep chugging along (with larger hard drives that I put in 2-3 years ago) so right now I am thinking about buying a 1Terabyte HR24 from Weaknees and sending both HR23 boxes back

It does GRIPE me that DTV will consider my HR24 to be leased even though I will buy it from Weaknees, but there's nothing I can do about that... and I would get exactly the model I want

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

As soon as our current house sells and we build a new house (wife's design is off to the Architect for blue prints) we are going to drop from 4 TV locations (2xHR23 and 2xDTivo "old style") down to 3 locations... and I will have to make a decision about what to retire

BOTH of our leased HR23's have minor problems of one kind or another... while our 2xDTivo boxes just keep chugging along (with larger hard drives that I put in 2-3 years ago) so right now I am thinking about buying a 1Terabyte HR24 from Weaknees and sending both HR23 boxes back

It does GRIPE me that DTV will consider my HR24 to be leased even though I will buy it from Weaknees, but there's nothing I can do about that... and I would get exactly the model I want

Why not get a Genie? it already comes with 1TB drive

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

"Why not a Genie?"

I use and build computers so I know from long experience that hard drives fail... every brand and every model

There is absolutely NO WAY I will ever go to a single source for all DTV recordings for my entire house... not as long as DTV does not provide an EASY way to copy recordings to an eSata drive to then copy onto the drive of a replacement receiver... even having an embedded code so the external recordings could not be played unless they were on a new receiver's drive would be OK... but, since that is not how the system works, I will stay with a DVR in each room

When a DTV hard drive or receiver fails (I have had this happen twice since I started with DTV) I only lose the recordings on that drive... not every recording in the house

Edited by JohnTSmith, 06 March 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

"Why not a Genie?"

I use and build computers so I know from long experience that hard drives fail... every brand and every model

There is absolutely NO WAY I will ever go to a single source for all DTV recordings for my entire house... not as long as DTV does not provide an EASY way to copy recordings to an eSata drive to then copy onto the drive of a replacement receiver... even having an embedded code so the external recordings could not be played unless they were on a new receiver's drive would be OK... but, since that is not how the system works, I will stay with a DVR in each room

When a DTV hard drive or receiver fails (I have had this happen twice since I started with DTV) I only lose the recordings on that drive... not every recording in the house

and how is this different than an HR24 with a 1TB drive? Perhaps you are not understanding how the Genie works.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

An HR24 with a 1Terabyte drive is so I may record ALL of the Olympics without having to remove anything already on the drive (as I just had to do with the HR23 I now have... running out of space for HD Olympics coverage) and then if THAT receiver/drive dies, nothing else on the other 2 receivers is changed

Not at all the same as if I went to a Genie and that receiver/drive died... and then I would have NOTHING recorded in the other 2 locations because they would be Genie "clients"

Bottom line... Genie is not for me

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Not at all the same as if I went to a Genie and that receiver/drive died... and then I would have NOTHING recorded in the other 2 locations because they would be Genie "clients"

Bottom line... Genie is not for me

I as suspected you are not understudying how the Genie works.  You don't need to get Genie clients, you can get the Genie and keep your existing DVRs!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

OK... I can keep my existing receivers... and the Genie only has 1 input for SWM, and I use 3 "old" DTivo receivers which do not have SWM which would mean I need to replace them AND a couple non-HD TVs which don't need to be HD because of where they are and what they are used for

Slimline 5 dish to a WB68 multiswitch to new house location works... switching every thing to SWM does not... so, someday, HR24 w/1T drive works for me... Genie works for other people

#40 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,006 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

Although it is not supported by DirecTV, it is entirely possible to run a hybrid system with both SWM and legacy multiswitches in parallel. I've got an SWM16 and a WB68 connected to the same dish in parallel and have both technologies available for whatever mix of technology I choose to use.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...