Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving. should i upgrade to Genie?

genie hr24

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tabush

tabush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

My current setup is as follows:

HR24 as my main DVR with 2 coax feeds and internet connection

H23's and H24's throughout the house, all networked.

I like that i can watch recorded shows from anywhere. 

I am moving in a week. not sure what to do for the new house. my options are:

1. Optimum online cable. Very inexpensive ($50 extra as i pay for internet/phone through them), but i know the equipment they give you stinks. I can go with all Tivo boxes, but it gets expensive.

2. Keep what I have and move it all. I will need to run Coax and Cat-5 throughout the house (it's already built and finished, but the prev owners only had 2 TV's with DTV). I don't want to trust DTV's installer as the house is fully built, i don't want them messing up my walls, etc.

3. Ask DTV to upgrade some of my gear (the 4 TV's i mainly use) to Genie. I don't know the advantages to genie, but i read that each "remote" genie box can only get a Cat-5, not a Coax, and then watch live TV or recorded. If that's the case, it saves me on cabling.

Would love to hear everyone's recommendations. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   capnp72

capnp72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, IL

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

How many tuners do you currently have?  HR24 has 2 tuners and each H2X receiver has 1.  If you were to get the Genie, it has 5 tuners.  If you have less than 8 tuners with SWM, you only need 1 coax from the dish and to each tv.  I would get the Genie and replace one or 2 of the receivers with clients.  With the mover's connection, I don't think upgrading will cost you anything but you will have a 1 or 2 yr commitment. 

#3 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,440 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Genie clients use coax, they don't have ethernet jacks. When on live TV, they use a tuner from the Genie.

#4 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Replace your main DVR with a Genie and use your most current DVRs as clients. That way you get the maximum number of tuners and recording space. You can have only up to 8 tuners with the standard swim install, so keep that in mind. You can get more, but you have to ask and plan for it with the necessary equipment ahead of time.

HR34/44: Genie: 5 Tuners, 1 TB recording (Main recording)

HR24: 2 tuners 500 gig, I think (More recording and tuners)

H24 (just receiver no dvr) : 1 tuner, no space (Bedroom viewing)

Total Tuners: 8, Total Recording Space 1.5 TB (but I've actually added 2 TB to the HR24 and am in process of adding 2 TB to the HR44 with external SATA drives)

The above it what I'm using and we can watch all programming from either DVR on the H24 in the bedroom, or simply use its own tuner to watch whatever we like.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

1. Optimum online cable. Very inexpensive ($50 extra as i pay for internet/phone through them), but i know the equipment they give you stinks. I can go with all Tivo boxes, but it gets expensive.

Optimum is currently pushing their own Whole Home DVR service, that features 10 tuners.  That initially sounds good.  But, the service is cloud based.  None of the recordings are on equipment at your home.  This makes for EXTREMELY slow response time during any "trick play" on recorded content.  Menus are no faster.  A friend of mine is saving a reasonable amount of money having consolidated TV Phone & Internet to Optimum.  But, both his wife and son are pissed at him.  They both hate the TV service (compared to their old DirecTV service) and his son hates the Internet service (compared to their old FiOS service).

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Replace your main DVR with a Genie and use your most current DVRs as clients.

The TS has only one DVR and replacing it would not be the correct recommendation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

My current setup is as follows:

HR24 as my main DVR with 2 coax feeds and internet connection

H23's and H24's throughout the house, all networked.

I like that i can watch recorded shows from anywhere. 

I am moving in a week. not sure what to do for the new house. my options are:

2. Keep what I have and move it all. I will need to run Coax and Cat-5 throughout the house (it's already built and finished, but the prev owners only had 2 TV's with DTV). I don't want to trust DTV's installer as the house is fully built, i don't want them messing up my walls, etc.

3. Ask DTV to upgrade some of my gear (the 4 TV's i mainly use) to Genie. I don't know the advantages to genie, but i read that each "remote" genie box can only get a Cat-5, not a Coax, and then watch live TV or recorded. If that's the case, it saves me on cabling.

Would love to hear everyone's recommendations. Thanks.

First, get a genie, that's not even a debate, and with movers connection im sure they will bring it out and hook up any multi switches and install a dish if needed.  I am with you, run all the wiring yourself first, just make sure you use the proper wire, preferable solid copper core rg6..

Second though, how many tvs are you going to have?  And how many of the h34/h24s did you have before?  How many people are in your house?  And do you all record everything you watch? These things make a difference on what you might want to do.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

The TS has only one DVR and replacing it would not be the correct recommendation.

Completely  agree!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Completely  agree!

Me too, I was telling him to keep his DVR and add the Genie (don't use clients as such), and if he had a choice of dvrs to keep, keep the most current one and dump the  old ones.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

Me too, I was telling him to keep his DVR and add the Genie (don't use clients as such), and if he had a choice of dvrs to keep, keep the most current one and dump the  old ones.

Now you went too far, I will keep all HDDVRs  :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

Now you went too far, I will keep all HDDVRs  :righton:

I'm not keeping HR20 or HR21 or HR23 series ones, the first two series are on their last legs and all three are horribly under-powered for the ever increasing demands of the firmware. The other thought I had was that he was going to run out of tuners, but it is a great loss of convenience to not be able to program the remaining DVRs from a remote location like the bedroom, so keep one plain receiver for the bedroom. I know you can do it with an app, but having used both a lot, it is much more convenient to use the H21 in the bedroom than the Smartphone.

In any case, however clumsily I put it, the goal is to maximize the number of available recording tuners, starting with a base of an HR44, keeping as many DVRs as possible, and having one receiver only in the bedroom. In my case, I wanted to stay with 8 tuners max, but if his household needs significantly more, then he can SWM16 it and keep all the DVRs! (I don't know if it will cost more or not, I've never gotten that far, because I have two dishes, and the second one only has one HR24 on it.)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I'm not keeping HR20 or HR21 or HR23 series ones, the first two series are on their last legs and all three are horribly under-powered for the ever increasing demands of the firmware. 

But with a little "grease" those can be "upgraded" to HR24s.  The Genie does grant you some wishes, well, sometimes.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

But with a little "grease" those can be "upgraded" to HR24s.  The Genie does grant you some wishes, well, sometimes. 

So you're saying that he shouldn't get the Genie upgrade?   I would definitely upgrade to the Genie and replace one of his hd receivers with a HD DVR,  and with a Mover's Connection they will take care of the rest in regards to a SWM 16 installation,  as that would put the OP with 10 tuners.  But he'll have to call to see if his eligible for free or reduced upgrade first, and how much would the Mover's cost or if the OP is eligible for free Mover's.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

So you're saying that he shouldn't get the Genie upgrade?  

NEVER, I would NEVER say that!  A Genie upgrade is a great opportunity to refresh your older receivers (given the right circumstances)

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,532 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

"Greasing" a service call via "Jackson" or "Franklin" may work but it doesn't say much about the character of a Service Tech or DirecTV's reputation.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,525 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

"Greasing" a service call via "Jackson" or "Franklin" may work but it doesn't say much about the character of a Service Tech or DirecTV's reputation.

and who's judging?  !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

I've never been happier with a DVR than I am with the HR44-700. Now that I put a 2 TB external drive on it, I have all five tuners humming away a lot of the time.

Finding time to watch the stuff....well....that's another matter. 

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: genie, hr24

spam firewall