Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44 upgrade and OTA?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

I currently have one each of HR20, HR21, HR24 and H24 (I think its a H24, but that is not relevant to this question).  I am going to do the Genie upgrade this week.  Although I do not use an OTA antenna, I like the ability to use one if I want.  

Since (as I understand) the Genie does not  have the ability to accept the OTA antenna (w/o the AM21), if I request an AM21 (since I will be deactivating the HR20), will D* charge me for it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

I currently have one each of HR20, HR21, HR24 and H24 (I think its a H24, but that is not relevant to this question).  I am going to do the Genie upgrade this week.  Although I do not use an OTA antenna, I like the ability to use one if I want.  

Since (as I understand) the Genie does not  have the ability to accept the OTA antenna (w/o the AM21), if I request an AM21 (since I will be deactivating the HR20), will D* charge me for it?

Probably, but you'll never know unless you call them for it. I have two of the older ones (AM21 not the current AM21N), and am quite pleased with their performance and as I recall, they are not that expensive, considering what they give you.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

If you are requesting the upgrade, I doubt they will give you an AM21 especially since you dont really use the OTA on your HR20 anyway.  They are only $50, and since if I were you I would actually deactivate the HR21, the HR20 is faster anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

If you are requesting the upgrade, I doubt they will give you an AM21 especially since you dont really use the OTA on your HR20 anyway.  They are only $50, and since if I were you I would actually deactivate the HR21, the HR20 is faster anyway.

That's your answer right there, keep the HR20. If you record OTA from it, you can watch that from any other location via whole-home.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

If you are requesting the upgrade, I doubt they will give you an AM21 especially since you dont really use the OTA on your HR20 anyway.

Do you really think that they consider this?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

If the customer is willing to lie their way into it to try to save $50, I guess thats their prerogative.  Thats the crappy thing to do but people dont surprise me anymore what they will do to try to save a buck.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Probably, but you'll never know unless you call them for it.

+1

You'll never know what you'll get until you call and ask.  When I was going through my upgrade to MRV, I was using OTA but plugged directly into my TV. And I told him that. So I asked about an AM-21. "Free" was his answer.   

So call and ask. I don't recommend lying or misleading the CSR and don't threaten to leave DirecTV over your upgrade unless you are willing to do so.  Treat the CSR like you would want to be treated.  Good luck and post back here what happens.

#8 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

I called in a few weeks ago to ask and order an AM21, as I wanted OTA capability on my Genie (44) and despite her taking a while to find them in their system, she offered it to me for no cost. So I asked if I could get another, and she said "sure,there's no cost for that one either".
Next day they were delivered, unbelievably quick!

Didn't have to beg or lie, didn't expect them to be free either.

#9 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

OP here:

First, I understand I am not entitled to anything, and unless you ask, the answer cannot be YES.  I also never lie or threaten to cancel.

I called and told them exactly the situation, i.e., that I have OTA capability now, and since the HR20 will be replaced, I lose the OTA capability.  The CSR looked into it and said that she would have the tech bring one - no charge.  

I also asked about the GenieGo.  The first rep told me I would need to call back and talk to Retention to see if I could somehow get the GenieGo for less than $149.  When I called back, I told the CSR the situation and said that at $149, I am going to have to pass.  She said that the price was not $149, but $99 + $19.95 for s/h.  She looked into it and said that she could waive the $99, but I said I would pass.  She then said she couldn't give me the GO for free, but could charge me the $20, but give me credits to offset it.  

I *NEVER* lied or mislead the VERY HELPFUL CSRs or threatened to leave.  I have been a D* customer since '00, and I told them that I have no intentions of leaving.  I asked for things and got them.  I was polite, respectful and expected nothing.  I was happily rewarded.  

Its this type of Customer Service that has kept me a customer for nearly 15 years.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

I called and told them exactly the situation, i.e., that I have OTA capability now, and since the HR20 will be replaced, I lose the OTA capability.  The CSR looked into it and said that she would have the tech bring one - no charge.  

Bit of a red flag here, because as far as I know techs never bring or install the AM21, they are strictly shipped directly to the customer for install.  Sounds to me more like another CSR talking out of their behind in order to say what they think you want to hear and get you off the phone.  Did you check your order online to see if there was anything about the AM21 on there?

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 ONLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I too have never heard of a tech rolling with an AM21.  Unusual to even talk to a D* CSR that even knows that there is such a thing as an AM21. (just had another D* tech beg me for some RG-59 cable ends, LOL, there be all kinds of goodies they don't have)

FWIW, I have three at my house, IIRC, I bought one, and D* (eventually) gave me 2 for free.  My customers that need the capability, and have me intercede with TPTB generally get them for free or for S&H.  I won't spend too much time on the phone trying to find a CSR that knows of the AM21, if it looks like an hour phone call is looming I will just order one from Solid Signal (they be on sale today, btw). That hasn't happened very often.

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Yes, it's still pretty hard to find a CSR that even knows what an AM21 is.  They tend to just think you are wrong and you are really talking about an HR21.

I still don't understand whether or not they are supposed to be covered by the protection plan.  I always assumed they were, until I had an issue with one and then was told they weren't.  Had a big discussion on here and eventually it was stated that since it was purchased/self installed equipment that it wasn't.  The protection plan supposedly only covered DirecTV installed equipment like receivers, multiswitches, wiring, PI, DECA, etc.  But now I'm seeing reports of the Genie Go being covered by the protection plan, so if that is covered then why isn't the AM21.  They are both self installed equipment.  Maybe DirecTV has changed this policy recently?

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

since I will be deactivating the HR20

Don't give back DVR's unless you have to.  Give back the H24.

#14 OFFLINE   jperkins71

jperkins71

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Just went through a Genie upgrade yesterday.  The installer said AM21's work with some but not all of the Genie units.  He didn't know of a good way to tell whether it worked or not.  D* won't provide any training on the AM21 at all; it is only a drop-ship item.  Installers *rarely* have them on the truck.

I did speak with a D* CSR agent last night about something else and asked about whether the AM21 would work with the HR44 Genie.  He said it does not work with the AM21.  I was staring at an HR44 with working AM21 attached at the time.

You may find the AM21 will produce only a black screen on some channels as reported at

http://www.dbstalk.c...genie-hr44-dvr/

I see it here on 15-2 here, which is a WeatherNation local broadcast; 15-1 is our local NBC affiliate. (Madison, WI market).  Other OTA channels seem to work fine as long as you don't go through 15-2.  And if you do, better go to a satellite channel before trying a different OTA broadcast, or it will be multiple channels of blackness for you.  :(  It would be great if D* engineering were to fix this some day.

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Bit of a red flag here, because as far as I know techs never bring or install the AM21

COrrect. Installers do not carry or install AM21s

Installers *rarely*  never have them on the truck.

I fixed that for ya!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Don't give back DVR's unless you have to.  Give back the H24.

Id actually deactivate the hr20 after the installer is gone, means he gets to keep it as a back up spare but not use it in general since its so dang hot and power hungry.

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Just order one from your on-line acct if you really want one and be done with it...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...