Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tough Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grippy

Grippy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts
  • Locationda UP

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

Looking for some good help.

I have the 722k and the 211k.

I want to replace the 722k with a Hopper and KEEP the 211k

1st I was told yes you can do that for $7/month

next call I was told NO

next call I was told yes if I bought the 211k

next call I was told only if I used the 211k  in my RV, I don't have an RV

I know the sales people are poorly trained and probably don't pay attention when being trained 

My question is where can I get an answer.

I want a Hopper and 1 or 2 Joeys AND I want to keep the 211k 

Hope someone can help

Thanks

What goes here?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Officially Dish doesn't allow you to have a 211 with a Hopper system unless you are using the 211 for a camping/RV kind of situation. I'm not saying that there aren't some people who are either technically savy enough or paid someone (independent retailer/installer) to set up a 211 with a Hopper system, but Dish doesn't officially support that configuration, so if you have it done you won't be able to turn to Dish for tech support and/or service calls if something goes wrong.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,231 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

If the range of the advice given the TS is any indication, support may not be all that valuable. The ViP211K isn't a very complicated unit.

I'd like to have a Hopper and a ViP211K myself so I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

The 211 can only be used with a Hopper if you own the 211 it can't be LEASED. The 211 can only be used on a Hopper system in a RV or for tailgating time to tell a tall tale about your usage. The Hopper uses a NODE the 211 can't run off the NODE it must have a line from the satellite dish to the 211.

#5 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

If the range of the advice given the TS is any indication, support may not be all that valuable. The ViP211K isn't a very complicated unit.

I'd like to have a Hopper and a ViP211K myself so I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out.

This is true, it's not complicated, but I figured it was fair to let Grippy know exactly what getting a 211 w/ a Hopper system would entail, since you can't go directly through Dish to get it done. For some people that's no big deal, others just wouldn't want to bother if it takes any kind of special effort.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Yes, you can but you must return the 211k you have now and purchase one.  "DishDepot" is one source and they aren't too expensive.

There are wiring diagrams on how to do it on this or maybe another dish related forum on how to set it up at home so that you can have it connected when you aren't using it for tailgating or camping, etc.

You may need to buy a DPP44 switch depending on which dish you currently have installed.  I would guess that if you can't do it yourself, you will need to find a local installer that can do it.  It isn't hard to do your self but you will need to find the diagrams so understand what has to be done.

Do search using Google and you will no doubt find the info you need.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#7 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

Looking for some good help.

I have the 722k and the 211k.

I want to replace the 722k with a Hopper and KEEP the 211k

1st I was told yes you can do that for $7/month

next call I was told NO

next call I was told yes if I bought the 211k

next call I was told only if I used the 211k  in my RV, I don't have an RV

I know the sales people are poorly trained and probably don't pay attention when being trained 

My question is where can I get an answer.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Grippy,

The answer to your question is yes but with the Hopper/Hopper w/Sling, the 211k will not be compatible with the in home TV’s. And there would be an additional monthly charge for a receiver you can’t use.

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...