Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Drop AT&T But Keep D*?

AT&T

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

I got the AT&T/DirecTV bundle about a year ago.  Love DirecTV but not AT&T.  Has anyone tried to drop the bundle but keep D*?

How did that work out?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

When at&t was partnered with DISH you had to open a new account and get new equipment. Either Directv or at&t may have to be consulted to get their answer.
  • DBSTalkUser01 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

When at&t was partnered with DISH you had to open a new account and get new equipment. Either Directv or at&t may have to be consulted to get their answer.

incorrect, been there, just new account been created

as to TS question - I would cut the cord and will go OTA, with Netflix or other streaming service

#4 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

Just did the opposite. Kept U-verse internet, dropped DTV added U-verse TV. More channels, ETF payout in the form of a debit card and about $50 a month cheaper for 12 months. I can sacrifice a tad inferior HD to save money. Don't do the NFL package so a non issue.

And after 12 months I'll shop around for a better price. They are out there.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#5 OFFLINE   DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

Yea, I think I'll have to call DirecTV and see.  Combing through the fine print it says "AT&T acts as a sales agent for DIRECTV and DIRECTV is responsible for providing the service."  I'm sure I'm not the first person to consider this...

#6 OFFLINE   DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Just did the opposite. Kept U-verse internet, dropped DTV added U-verse TV. More channels, ETF payout in the form of a debit card and about $50 a month cheaper for 12 months. I can sacrifice a tad inferior HD to save money. Don't do the NFL package so a non issue.

Yea, if they had UVerse available to me I would have done that in the first place.  I really just wanted something cheaper than cable....

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

I have a relative who had D* bundled with AT&T and when they canceled the AT&T services the only thing that changed was the bill credits were no longer applied on the D* account. The bills were always separate, they payed AT&T for DSL and Landline (POTS) phone and D* for TV service; never were the bills combined together. Nothing else changed as far as the D* account goes, which they still have active to this day. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

The discount for bundles service lasts for 12 months. After that, D* pricing is unaffected by ATT, and you have completed the ATT agreement (12 months). If you choose to find a different internet provider, it will not affect your D* service and there is no penalty from ATT.

-=K=-

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Good luck with Uverse. We had lots of problems, like no TV service for 15 hours.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

15 hours over what period of time? A month? Year? And that's nothing compared to the down time I've experienced with DTV and my harsh winter.

I had Comcast for decades before switching to DirecTV. There were instances of outages with them too.

Now that I'm retired it's all about the price. And by shopping for the best one year deals I don't mind the wheeling and dealing.

#11 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

15 hours over what period of time? A month? Year? And that's nothing compared to the down time I've experienced with DTV and my harsh winter....

I have to ask where you live?

We've had a lot of snow this winter and I only needed to clear my dish once.

During the year there were several outages due to thunderstorms, but none lasted more than 10-15 minutes.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#12 OFFLINE   rickclem

rickclem

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Chicago suburb. It happens to be placed on the part of the roof where snow tends to drift. Never gave it a thought until the dish was placed there. Guess I could have it relocated.

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

15 hours over what period of time? A month? Year? And that's nothing compared to the down time I've experienced with DTV and my harsh winter.

I had Comcast for decades before switching to DirecTV. There were instances of outages with them too.

Now that I'm retired it's all about the price. And by shopping for the best one year deals I don't mind the wheeling and dealing.

I assume the way he worded it, that it was 15 hours straight on one occasion.  I had outages like that quite a bit back when I was with Comcast, a time or two I think it was even for days at a time.  Now with DirecTV I think the longest outage I've ever had at one time was like 15 minutes (obviously I'm not counting the times we have been without power).  In the last 6 years I think I've only had a handful of recordings that were actually affected by outages (again, other than power outages), usually they happen early in the day or late at night when I don't have anything recording.

As far as your situation goes, yes I think it would be a good idea to consider having the dish relocated.  I live in IL as well and don't think I've had a snow related outage at all this winter, even with it having been the 2nd worst on record in our area (after this weekend it might be the worst on record).  I did have a short outage last week when we got the really hard rain.  My dish is on a pole in the back yard, so even if I had a snow related outage I could have just gone out and brushed it off with a broom.  Usually the strong winds at my house make that a non-issue though.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 01:27 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I called the service number (which really just appears to ring through to DirecTV) and the CSR said that nothing changes on DirecTV's side except that DirecTV starts billing directly instead of bundled with AT&T (which mine is).  And obviously lose the $5 discount...

Vonage here I come!

#15 OFFLINE   frytzz

frytzz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

Take a look at Ooma for phone service...

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Yeah I had vonage now I have ooma. Get ooma. It's just as good and cheaper.

#17 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

Not to steal the OP's thread but, please tell me more about this "ooma" .....

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

Not to steal the OP's thread but, please tell me more about this "ooma" .....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ooma&l=1

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   DBSTalkUser01

DBSTalkUser01

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Forgot about ooma - Thanks. But it looks like it would be more than Vonage for me by a couple of bucks.  Not to mention the ooma box is twice the price (at least today)

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Uh, ooma is free, just paying the taxes, unless you need the extra stuff..  I know I sure don't need the extra stuff since i use  my cell phone mostly...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AT&T

Protected By... spam firewall...And...