Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New To Genie HR44

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   topcat84

topcat84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi Everyone!!
I replaced my DTV TiVo yesterday with a new Genie (HR44) and being new to it, I had a few questions.

1. Should I leave the Genie on or off when not in use? Is it okay to leave it on all the time like my TiVo?
2. Is there a way to bring up the scrub bar w/o hitting the "play-pause" button? When I press it, it pauses the program and I just want to see how far I'm into the recording w/o pausing it.
3. I have a Harmony One and was wondering if I can use it to turn the Genie on and off, or can I program the Genie's remote to turn on and off my Sony AV Receiver, my Samsung TV and the Genie at the same time?
4. When I set up my Series recordings, I used "First Run" only, but I'm getting recordings of shows that clearly show the dates as 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. What am I doing wrong?

That's all I can think of right now. I really like the unit so far. Just got to get used to it. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

The Genie remote can be set to turn on and off the TV and the Genie, but can't do that for the AV receiver though it can be set to control the volume.

The Harmony One will offer more controls than the Genie Remote, including turning it on and off.

And I think that whenever you set up a series link, it records the episode you are on when you set it, regardless of whether it is new or not.  And of course, some show's guide info isn't good enough for the Genie to know if a show is new or not.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

I use a D* RC66RX - It does both IR/RF and Controls power on & off  for TV,AVR & Hr44 & Blu-ray . Leaving the receiver  on is not a problem - It's on all the time anyway to record shows. (even When it's Dark (off)

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

On your Harmony One you should be able to press the play button and have it bring up the scrub bar without pausing the show (assuming the play button is mapped to the play command and not the pause command).

The Play/Pause button on the RC71 remote actually sends out the pause command, which toggles between pause and play.  There is no way to bring up the scrub bar using the RC71 without pausing or using FF or REW (or skip/slip FW and REW).

In my opinion, unless you need to use RF to control the genie, ditch the RC71 and just use your Harmony One.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 12:13 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#5 OFFLINE   topcat84

topcat84

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks so much for the help guys. I really prefer to just leave the Genie on, so was happy to see your answers. Another question I have concerns the resolution and I'm not as tech savy as I'd like to be. I have one of the Samsung Smart TVs and wanted your opinion on the resolution setting that involves "Native". (I don't really know what that means, but my TV is capable of 1080p.) The DTV installer set it up with check marks next to 1080i and 1080p, but left Native off. Is this the ideal setup to receive the best picture quality, or should Native be turned on ? Once again.....thanks for helping a newbie in the world of Genie. I'm really loving it so far!! Cheers!!

#6 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi Everyone!!
I replaced my DTV TiVo yesterday with a new Genie (HR44) and being new to it, I had a few questions.

1. Should I leave the Genie on or off when not in use? Is it okay to leave it on all the time like my TiVo?
2. Is there a way to bring up the scrub bar w/o hitting the "play-pause" button? When I press it, it pauses the program and I just want to see how far I'm into the recording w/o pausing it.
3. I have a Harmony One and was wondering if I can use it to turn the Genie on and off, or can I program the Genie's remote to turn on and off my Sony AV Receiver, my Samsung TV and the Genie at the same time?
4. When I set up my Series recordings, I used "First Run" only, but I'm getting recordings of shows that clearly show the dates as 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. What am I doing wrong?

That's all I can think of right now. I really like the unit so far. Just got to get used to it. Thanks in advance. Cheers!!

As for question 1 (power) that's totally up to you. When the Genie is "off" it's actually still on. I believe turning it "off" only turns off the lights on the Genie and turns off the A/V output signals. It's even okay to turn it off while it's recording a show, it will continue to record. I'd imagine the power savings is negligible when turning it off.  

#7 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thanks so much for the help guys. I really prefer to just leave the Genie on, so was happy to see your answers. Another question I have concerns the resolution and I'm not as tech savy as I'd like to be. I have one of the Samsung Smart TVs and wanted your opinion on the resolution setting that involves "Native". (I don't really know what that means, but my TV is capable of 1080p.) The DTV installer set it up with check marks next to 1080i and 1080p, but left Native off. Is this the ideal setup to receive the best picture quality, or should Native be turned on ? Once again.....thanks for helping a newbie in the world of Genie. I'm really loving it so far!! Cheers!!

Native passes the original resolution to the TV. If you tune to a SD channel, your TV will revert to 480i, if you tune to a 720p channel it will display in 720p, and so on (assuming you're using HDMI.) 

I'd suggested checking the boxes for all of the screen resolutions and setting it to Native. As it is configured now, it will "upscale" the resolution of SD and 720p channels to 1080i. Nothing wrong with having it set this way, just my personal preference to have each channel displayed in it's original native resolution. 

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'd suggested checking the boxes for all of the screen resolutions and setting it to Native. As it is configured now, it will "upscale" the resolution of SD and 720p channels to 1080i. Nothing wrong with having it set this way, just my personal preference to have each channel displayed in it's original native resolution. 

One caveat to this is that native can cause delays in channel changing.  I'm not sure whether it's an HDMI handshake issue or something else.   But, depending on whether you have components between the Genie (or any HD DVR for that matter) and the TV, you may experience channel changing delays when using Native.

I have a Mitsubishi TV that was 3D-ready.  In order to actually used 3D once the specs were finalized, I needed to put a box between the DVR and my TV.  As soon as I did so, I started experiencing multi-second delays when changing channels.  Turning native off, eliminated this delay.  Others have experienced this same thing when the have an AVR connected via HDMI between the DVR and TV.

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

To expand a little bit on what the others have said, the way your Genie is set now (with native off) it will upscale all standard def and 720p channels to 1080i, and it will leave 1080i channels as is.  If  you turn to a 1080p PPV channel, or download a 1080p VOD title then it will send that out as 1080p (assuming your Samsung TV accepts a 1080p24 signal, without a model number I am not sure, but if it is relatively new then it should).

If you turned native on, but didn't add any check marks next to any other resolutions nothing will change at all.

If you have native on and put a check mark next to 720p also, then whenever you tune to a 720p channel the Genie will output it as 720p and your TV will upscale it to 1080p.

If you have native on and put a check mark next to 480i then whenever you tune to a standard def channel the genie will output 480i and your TV will upscale it to 1080p.

Now as far as which you need to do that is up to you.  You can try both ways to see which component upscales the channels better, your Genie or your TV, and then leave it set for whichever gives you the best picture.

As the others have mentioned leaving native on and having all the resolutions checked means that your Genie must change its output resolution whenever you change to a channel with a different resolution.  This will make channel changes a tiny bit longer.  Some AV equipment will require a new HDCP handshake over HDMI every time there is a resolution change.  If your equipment requires this then it could increase the channel change time more significantly.

For my setups I have found that the increase in channel changing time was more annoying than the slight decrease in picture quality by having my DirecTV receivers upscale instead of my TV.  You however may find differently with your equipment, so it is a good idea for you to try it out and decide for yourself.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   topcat84

topcat84

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Once again......great answers and help for someone new to the Genie. I even like the remote (RC71) that came with it. I know some people don't like it, but being a TiVo addict, it works for me in most ways and fits my hand nicely. There's actually only a couple of things I liked better with the DTV TiVo. The DTV TiVo just wasn't the same as I've had in the past, so when I was eligible for an upgrade, I took the plunge and so far, I'm very pleased. Thanks again, guys!! Cheers!!

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

I use a D* RC66RX - It does both IR/RF and Controls power on & off  for TV,AVR & Hr44 & Blu-ray . Leaving the receiver  on is not a problem - It's on all the time anyway to record shows. (even When it's Dark (off)

However, the RC66RX can only work on IR on the HR44

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

As for question 1 (power) that's totally up to you. 

Also turning the Genie off "releases" the tuner that "might" be needed to record something else.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...