Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44/C41 Questions Prior to cutting the cable

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobdec

bobdec

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

I have 3 questions, was not sure if they s/b in one thread or if I should have created 3 eperate. New to this forum (1st post) so I'm open for suggestions.. 

I'm planning to update my antiquated TiVo multi room home setup and after a lot of forum searching and reading (TiVo Roamio, Dish, Direct TV) Direct TV with Genie/Mini Genie solution is looking real good solution and cost wise. I have a combination of 2 HD TV's, 3-SD TV's with (component/composite) and 1- SD TV that is RF Coax.  I'm looking at a HR44 Server with 5 C41 Mini's with various connections. 

Question 1: Will an SD TV connected to a C41 mini client Via the 10 pin to composite or component cable be able to watch live HD channels and recorded HD playlist programming and if so how does is the picture displayed (aspect ratio).

Question 2: Will an SD TV connected to a C41 nini client Via the 10 pin to composite or component cable then to a RF modulator to analog coax to channel 3/4 on TV play the same as in the previous question.

Question 3:  The RC71 IR/RF remote, I will have multiple C41 mini's in the house I would like to use in RF mode (clients on wall behind TV's). My assumption is when you program the remote for RF mode, the 6 digits entered during the setup is how each individual pair of remote transmitter/ mini receiver's are setup to communicate only with each. That allows use of multiple RF remote transmitters in close proximity w/o interfering with other units.   

Edited by bobdec, 26 February 2014 - 10:34 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Q1 & 2: yes the clients will downscale the HD channels so you can watch on an SD TV (and I recommend doing so, they will look much better than the SD channels).  I recommend using the component video connections if you TV has the option as they will also give you a better picture than using composite.  You can have the channels either letterboxed on your TVs, or have them cropped to fill the whole screen, you just need to set that up in the settings of each client.

Q3:  Yes, you can have multiple RC71s set to RF at the same time, they get paired to the specific client you are at when you switch them to RF.  I am not sure if there is a limit for the number of remotes you can have in RF at one time, but if there is I would imagine it is much higher than 5 so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Caution on the HR44 and 5 clients. The HR44 can serve only 3 clients at one time.

You may want a HR 24 or H24 or H25s for some of the clients.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

You will never have an rf issue with multiple remotes.

Personally with what you are looking at id get the genie and three clients and two h25s for the least used two tvs. I would never have a system that didn't allow me to watch tv on all tvs at one time. A genie system can drive no more than four tvs at once. Unless you know you will never have more than four on at any one time ever.

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

Personally with what you are looking at id get the genie and three clients and two h25s for the least used two tvs. I would never have a system that didn't allow me to watch tv on all tvs at one time. A genie system can drive no more than four tvs at once. Unless you know you will never have more than four on at any one time ever.

It really comes down to a person's needs.  My parents are perfectly happy with a Genie and 5 clients (three C41, two Samsung32f5500).  Most of the time it is just the two of them in the house, so no need for more than two TVs on at one time.  When my sister and her kids visit, or when I visit with my family, even when both of us visit with our families, we have not run into an issue with needing to watch at more than 4 places at one time. In our instance though we are visiting so we are more likely to be watching TV together or in groups if at all so it isn't a big deal.

Obviously if there were 5 people that lived together all the time the chances of running into an issue would be much higher.  In that instance yes getting HD recievers, or possibly even additional HD-DVRs would be a good thing to consider.

It was a good idea to mention this limitation though, I should have noticed the OP was a new member and done so myself.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#6 OFFLINE   bobdec

bobdec

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Thank's for the quick replies. I completely missed the streaming limitation to 4 TV's simultaneously. That may be something (as empty nesters) we can deal with, have to think about that. But It's good to know there are options. Biggest challenge will be to convert the Misses over to the new menus and program lists, She's ticked that none of D* packages have one or the other, but not both Hallmark Movie and Lifetime Movie available.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

She's ticked that none of D* packages have one or the other, but not both Hallmark Movie and Lifetime Movie available.

Those two channels are available on the Premier package.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Or most regular packages plus hd extra pack.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Thank's for the quick replies. I completely missed the streaming limitation to 4 TV's simultaneously.

You can only stream to three TVs. The fourth TV is driven uniquely through a video cable (typically HDMI) from the Genie.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Those two channels are available on the Premier package.

Is that true?  I thought that was just a mistake on the website.  Hallmark Movie Channel is normally in the HD Extra Pack, which I didn't think was part of the Premier package.  I don't see any of the other channels from the HD Extra Pack listed as being in the Premier package.

He should be able to get the Choice package, or any package above that, which will give him the Lifetime Movie Network.  Then he can just add the HD extra pack so he gets Hallmark Movie Channel.  Choice plus the HD extra pack would be much cheaper than the premier pacakge, if it does in fact include the Hallmark Movie Channel.

Edited by Beerstalker, 27 February 2014 - 10:48 AM.

-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Is that true?  

DIRECTV-Packages-and-Pricing---Call-855-Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

DIRECTV-Packages-and-Pricing---Call-855-Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I know that is what the website shows, but it is known to be wrong on occasion, and I think this may be one of them.  I can't believe that Hallmark Movie Channel is available in Select and Premier, but not any of the others.  As far as I know it is only included in the HD Extra pack.

It is also very strange that Hallmark Movie Channel is the only channel from the HD Extra Pack that is listed in the package section.

Edited by Beerstalker, 27 February 2014 - 11:16 AM.

-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

I know that is what the website shows, but it is known to be wrong on occasion, and I think this may be one of them. 

Well, don't you think that if it is advertised this way they have to honor it? Just saying...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Well, don't you think that if it is advertised this way they have to honor it? Just saying...

No I don't because I know that the channel line-up tool you are pointing to is wrong on some occassions.

For example do you really think Cartoon Network East HD is available in every package except Xtra?  Oh wait, that one is listed twice so we must get two Cartoon Network East HD channels, and one of them is in the Xtra package and one isn't. 

If you have the Select package you get two different Disney XD channels and one Disney XD HD channel.

Select is the only package to get ECTV.

Select gets FX but not FX HD.

PVT is in every package except Choice.

There are quite a few Sonic Tap channels I think are screwed up.

These are just a few I noticed scrolling through that tool right now.  I know back when I had Choice Extra Classic it had a few of those wrong as well.

That tool is not 100% correct, so that is why I am asking if Hallmark Movie Channel is another screwup.  Seems really strange to me that it would be included in Select which is the lowest advertised package they have, but not in any of the ones above it except Premier.

-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

No I don't because I know that the channel line-up tool you are pointing to is wrong on some occassions.

Whether is wrong or not, it is advertised as such and if I were to subscribe to the "Select" package I will be expecting to see ALL of the channel listed on THIER website. wether that be by giving a higher package and giving me credits.  otherwise this is known as "bait and switch" and I believe that is "illegal"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Interesting, they need to fix that.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Interesting, they need to fix that.

Yep, this is where a call to the office of the VP will come into place.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

Yeah that channel is in the entertainment package as well as premiere and Hi Definition extra pack. But not in any of the middle packages. The tool is correct believe it or not. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...