Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF Remote(s) range suddenly diminished

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shippert

shippert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

So I have an HR24 connected up to an HDMI splitter, so I can watch at multiple locations throughout my house.  Accordingly, I have four remotes I use to control that one box via RF.  Until a couple days ago, all four worked fine, from all corners of my house.  Yesterday, I started having to hit a few buttons multiple times before they would take, and today I can't control the box from anywhere except within maybe 6 feet of the box.  I know its not the remotes themselves, because I checked all four - they all work when close to the box, and none of them work from across the room or in other rooms, and they all used to work in exactly those places a week ago.  (I swapped out the batteries in a couple of them anyway, just to be sure.)

Any clues as to what might be happening?  My first guess is some kind of interference; I did get a second HR24 box a few days ago, which sits right next to the HR24 - but I control it via IR (so I can hook it up to a slingbox).  This new HR24 replaced an HR21 that was failing, and was hooked up the same way, but I did move a few things around in my setup.  Maybe there's now some kind of weird signal valley with all the wires and stuff back there? 

Or maybe somebody nearby has started blasting radio waves or something.

Still, the most likely scenario seems to me to be an issue with my HR24.  I did a red button reboot and a yank-the-power-cord reboot, neither of which solved the problem. 

Anybody have any ideas how I might fix this?  As I understand it, there isn't an external RF antenna jack on the HR24s, so I don't know how to boost the signal. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Would it be possible to move the electronics to a different physical location.  If it works there, you would know if it is some interference at your house.

#3 OFFLINE   Tisby

Tisby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

To confirm that it is the specific box, not outside interference... Try programing the remotes to the new (the one that replaced the HR21) HR24 just to see if they work from the same far-away locations that worked previously. If they do, you know it's the first box. If they don't, time to wrap the house in tin foil. :grin: Or start messing with the wires & other components that you moved around.

#4 ONLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

Unplug the power from the second HR24 and see if the issue goes away. 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Legacy DIRECTV remotes use 433MHz (70cm band). If something is constantly broadcasting at that frequency, there's a pretty serious pollution problem.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   shippert

shippert

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Okay, it seems to be in the original receiver, as setting the new receiver to use RF seems to have the long range I saw before.  The old receiver still needs the remote close by, but the new receiver will hear the remote in RF mode from the other side of the house.

Just to be sure, I unplugged the new receiver, changed the old receiver to IR and then back to RF, and moved various wires, cables, and electronic equipment around on my TV stand.  None of this changes anything - the old receiver needs the RF remote within 6 feet or so, the new receiver will work from anywhere that I've tried.

The only thing I noticed is that the old receiver has a different version of the software, 0x7eb, downloaded this morning at 2:24am.  The new receiver has version 0x79b, from Monday at 4:25am.  I know that software updates can mung up your units in weird and stupid ways sometimes; does it seem plausible that it's a software issue, and that my new receiver will stop working when it gets the same update?

Anyway, any suggestions as to what I should do?  Right now my plan is to wait a week or two to make sure things stay this way, and then swap the receiver connections around so the old one uses IR and is hooked up to the slingbox while the new one is on the splitter and uses RF - but man, that's going to be a pain.  It'd just be so much easier if I could kick the old one back into working with RF like it always has.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...