Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home and Internet Random dropouts.

Best Answer Rigger01 , 08 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

hat run to

You came for one problem and it looks like it's fixed.

While looking at your diagram, I see problems with the long runs.

I would add the amps, and "wait and see" what happens with the 330' guy "before" I change that run to RG11.

If the 330' run isn't going to be used, no point changing it to RG11.

I only count 3 runs, out of all of them, that without amps I'm comfortable with.

BTW the amp on the left is backwards.

Amps ordered.  Everything you have told me so far has helped 100%.  AMP on the left is now fixed.  I will let you know when the amps are installed.

i358r8.jpg

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:04 PM

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this error?

"More than likely"

First off can you relate the nodes [0-10] to your layout drawing above with receivers and cable runs [lengths]??

A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

"More than likely"

First off can you relate the nodes [0-10] to your layout drawing above with receivers and cable runs [lengths]??

yes. I will do it tomorrow when I get back to work.

#83 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,333 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

And just to make sure, are the Phy levels and Mesh results taken yesterday and not from back then, correct?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#84 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

And just to make sure, are the Phy levels and Mesh results taken yesterday and not from back then, correct?

Yes, taken yesterday.

#85 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

yes. I will do it tomorrow when I get back to work.

The Phy levels were from a 245' run [node 10].

It would help to also get a reading from the "other side" off a H24 or H25 in the 150' range.

A.K.A VOS

#86 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

nxon0k.jpg

When I have time tomorrow, I will post all phys levels from the other 24's and 25's

#87 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

The more tests from different receivers, the better we'll know what's up.

The only improvement that can be done is changing RG6 over to RG11.

"The problem is" the difference is not going to be significant as for every 100' it will only be about 1.75 dB.

Changing these four coax runs to RG11 looks to model "just within" the limits.

post-445551-0-58817400-1417747542.jpg

The more Phy levels and mesh data, the more "what is" can be related to "what should be".

nxon0k.jpg

A.K.A VOS

#88 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

ATO_H25_170'

rtl2f4.jpg

If I am reading this right. The zeros are #4 DECA and #8 is BP.

BTH_H24-197'

ofoxt4.jpg

DSR_H25_175

1zl54s5.jpg

The zeros are #1 PRP and #4 DECA

FF_H24_150

2gwxbma.jpg

WRD_H25_245

2n01ysw.jpg

The zeros are #5 BTH and #9 MG

Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation of the zero lines.

I can't imagine the zero's are good.

Edited by Rigger01, 05 December 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#89 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

If I simply look at the nodes with zeros, I'd see the 8-way splitter is in common, so I'd check/inspect it and the connectors carefully.

If nothing was found bad, then this would seem to be more of a concern.

The bottom is the "as is" modeling and the top is what changing some to RG11 should be.

post-445551-0-56934600-1417828262.png

With four lengths of RG11, it models [at the top] with 4-5 dB below the limit.

Better.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#90 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:26 PM

What exactly do the zero's mean?  Does it mean that particular receiver can not see the other one?

For example on the ATO Receiver DECA and BP can't reach any of the other nodes. right?

I will check all the connectors tomorrow and start there.

Edited by Rigger01, 05 December 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#91 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

This morning I went trough and checked a couple connectors.  I found 2 that were suspect, I replaced connectors on PRP and WRD.  On WRD I found 20' of excess cable that I promptly took out of the mix. Below are the readings from FF which I make my standard as it's the receiver that is in front of me.  As you can see WRD went from -42 to -39.  It makes it clear to me that every foot counts.

2q9xaft.jpg

Below are the new readings from WRD as you can see 90% of all the readings went down -2 or at least -1. 

2moqagg.jpg

The GREEN light is back on DECA II now.

I still have the zeros on the phy mesh. Now when I do a system test on FF I get the reduced network error on WRD and BTH. Where as before it was just on WRD. 

VOS, Am I correct in saying that RG11 is the next step?  Should I start with WRD and BTH and then see if the reduced network error goes away?  I am going to get 1000ft so if I have to I can do all that you recommended.  

Does anyone have a good site to buy RG11 in bulk? I looked on amazon and was getting $180 for 1000'

#92 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's weird to get zeros imho with only -39 isn't it VOS? I'd probably swap a couple good number units with the two with zeros to see if it follows the units. Just in case before I went and repulled that much cable.

#93 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

This morning I went trough and checked a couple connectors.  I found 2 that were suspect, I replaced connectors on PRP and WRD.  On WRD I found 20' of excess cable that I promptly took out of the mix. Below are the readings from FF which I make my standard as it's the receiver that is in front of me.  As you can see WRD went from -42 to -39.  It makes it clear to me that every foot counts.

Below are the new readings from WRD as you can see 90% of all the readings went down -2 or at least -1. 

The GREEN light is back on DECA II now.

I still have the zeros on the phy mesh. Now when I do a system test on FF I get the reduced network error on WRD and BTH. Where as before it was just on WRD. 

VOS, Am I correct in saying that RG11 is the next step?  Should I start with WRD and BTH and then see if the reduced network error goes away?  I am going to get 1000ft so if I have to I can do all that you recommended.  

Does anyone have a good site to buy RG11 in bulk? I looked on amazon and was getting $180 for 1000'

Your 20' is worth ≈ 1 dB

The Phy level test has a ±1-2 dB

Look at your mesh numbers for those below [or close to] 221. Then look at the nodes involved. Disregard nodes: "0 to 0" through "10 to 10"

This should give you some idea of the nodes involved.

RG11 is the only thing at this point because of the long distances and that there is NO DECA amp

It's weird to get zeros imho with only -39 isn't it VOS? I'd probably swap a couple good number units with the two with zeros to see if it follows the units. Just in case before I went and repulled that much cable.

The zeros are a bit strange. I've seen them before in my own testing, but they were at or beyond the limits/range.

I don't have a good answer about them because the phy level test does find the node(s) and they report back the loss, but during the phy mesh test they aren't reporting.

Mesh comes from a SNR so while the loss might be within limits, the noise is higher than expected.

I'd need to play with it for a while to give a better answer.

Swapping receivers and retesting IS something I'd do before "dropping the bucks" for the RG11

• Rigger01 likes this
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...