Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Television Cost

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Got this email flyer . . .

0079234323262_500X500.jpg

SCEPTRE X322BV-HDR 32" LED Class 720P HDTV with ultra slim metal brush bezel, 60Hz

$179.00

By my simple calculation that's mo' than 90% drop in price in under 10 year.

How low can the price of televisions get?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

I bought a 32" Seiko from HRGregg last year for $179. I regard its performance as flawless.

Back in the 1960s, working class families used to figure that if they thought they could get another year out of the car, then that was the year to buy a new TV. My father was a manager of a fairly large, prosperous store, and the color TV we bought in the mid 1960s cost him about a month's pay.

I saw a digital calculator watch for $600, and a few year later, Radio Shack sold them for about $20 something. A watch used to be a high school graduation present. One of my uncles gave me a nice Bulova Accutron - the kind with the tuning fork - for high school graduation in 1970. That was a big deal. A decade later, I was wearing a Budweiser watch and inadvertently left it at a bathroom sink when I washed my hands. I had driven about three or four miles when I realized that, so I brought the car to a screeching halt, but before I had even turned around, I realized that the $3 watch, which kept time as accurately as my Bulova did, wasn't even worth the time it would take to retrieve it even if it was still there.

I would guess the limiting factor on the price or a TV would be the display, but I don't know the display industry or market well enough to assess it.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

My Sharp 1080p, 32" that I bought a couple of months ago was on sale at Best Buy for $199.00

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,545 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

There's got to be something ironic about the fact that TV's are now cheaper than a monthly payment for TV channels when at one time we paid more for a TV than the payment on a house and the TV channels were free, albeit far fewer channels.

Edited by phrelin, 27 February 2014 - 04:29 PM.

• FHSPSU67 likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

The US price of LG's first curved OLED TV dropped from $15,000 to a slightly less stratospheric $10,000 late last year, but that five-digit sticker was still bound to scare away all but the richest buyers. It's a good thing, then, that LG has cut the 55-inch set's price a second time. You can now pick up the curved screen for $7,000

http://www.engadget....led-tv-to-7000/

Since it was announced last July at $15,000, that's more than 50% in less than a year.  At that rate it should be $1,500 by when?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,398 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

The original TVs were often built buy people who made lots of money and robots using many relatively expensive components (like they were in the days of yore).

Now they are assembled by people who cost less than robots out of a handful of VLSI chips, cheap casework and a few electrical fittings. Crafted lenses and mirrors don't come into play anymore. Sound systems are almost entirely ignored. Development is all about cost reduction and outside of adding some wireless phone features to TVs, that's about all they have to show for the development over the period.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,545 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

http://www.engadget....led-tv-to-7000/

Since it was announced last July at $15,000, that's more than 50% in less than a year.  At that rate it should be $1,500 by when?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I bought a Sceptre 32" HDTV about three years ago and paid about twice that price. It's a very nice set; it even includes a USB jack where you can plug in a stick and listen to music.

Our first TV, an RCA 7-inch black and white set, cost about $300. That was back in 1948. There were only 12 channels available then, 2 through 13, and only one station, WPTZ, was broadcasting four or five nights a week in Philadelphia then.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

I've bought a pair of 24" Insignia HD TVs for $99 when they go on sale at Best Buy (one on Black Friday, one again a month or so ago) - and those are *1080p* models with 2 HDMI ports in addition to VGA.

For comparison, I paid $700 for a 27" SD tube set in the mid 1990s that had S-video, composite and RF inputs.

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

The original TVs were often built buy people who made lots of money and robots using many relatively expensive components (like they were in the days of yore).

Now they are assembled by people who cost less than robots out of a handful of VLSI chips, cheap casework and a few electrical fittings. Crafted lenses and mirrors don't come into play anymore. Sound systems are almost entirely ignored. Development is all about cost reduction and outside of adding some wireless phone features to TVs, that's about all they have to show for the development over the period.

Not really. The original TVs  were built on steel or aluminum chassis using vacuum tubes and discreet components, all soldered by hand. Robotics didn't enter the picture until relatively recently. Second generation TV's used transistors  instead of tubes for the most part, but still had a few tubes. Integrated circuits began to make an appearance.  Fast forward to today.-- the electronics in TV receivers consist primarily of integrated circuits, mounted on a motherboard by robots. Quite often, a solder bath is used to solder the many leads ot th components to the motherboard all at once.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Got this email flyer . . .

By my simple calculation that's mo' than 90% drop in price in under 10 year.

How low can the price of televisions get?

Tiger Direct??

#12 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Tiger Direct??

Walmart

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#13 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,927 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Today's televisions are essentially souped-up LED monitors with a digital tuner attached. Some of the cost savings are a result of some components being eliminated including VGA input and DVI input (in favor of HDMI) and the elimination of the Analog tuners.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#14 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Today's televisions are essentially souped-up LED monitors with a digital tuner attached. Some of the cost savings are a result of some components being eliminated including VGA input and DVI input (in favor of HDMI) and the elimination of the Analog tuners.

My $179 Seiki 32" HDTV has  one VGA and three HDMIs inputs, along with an analog tuner.

Edited by AntAltMike, 04 March 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,398 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Some of the cost savings are a result of some components being eliminated including VGA input and DVI input (in favor of HDMI) and the elimination of the Analog tuners.

As long as NTSC repeaters and analog cable exist, there will likely be "analog tuners".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Analog cable exists?  Tell me where to move to.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...