Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling DISH ServiceI am ready to cancel DISH

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:29 AM

This has to be the dumbest statement I have ever read in my life.  What kind of shows does Roku bring you?  Does it bring you ESPN?  Does it bring you your local channels?  Does it bring you DIY and HGTV?  Does it bring you music channels?  If so, and it brings you all of that I take back my comment.  If not, then it stays. 

It isn't nice to insult other people or their statements.

For me, I could find plenty to watch on Amazon Prime, which a Roku delivers seamlessly to my television.  Some people don't care to watch ESPN (50% of households, if the polling data are to be believed.)  And it is possible with some Internet providers to watch ESPN3 without a pay TV service, which gives you an awful lot of ESPN's programming - though granted, not all.  Roku does have music channels, including Pandora.  I watch DIY and HGTV about.... hmmm... never.  And you'll note they included an antenna in their solution list, which brings all the local channels (including sub channels not carried by Dish.)

Everyone has their list of "must haves" their list of "nice to haves" and "can easily do withouts."  Your list is for you - you have to make a value judgement about what you're willing to spend on "must haves" and "nice to haves."  But just because you find Dish's offerings worth the expense does not mean everyone else must come to the same conclusion.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

Maybe not, but he pretty much is insulting when he says you have no business having Dish or Direct.  It does not make sense.  You can only get locals if you live in a city.  My closest local tower is over 50 miles away with others even farther.  His comment is totally for a limited portiion of people.

Edited by ingeborgdot, 03 March 2014 - 06:18 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

If you can meet all of your household needs with an antenna and Roku,

Does it bring you your local channels?    Does it bring you music channels? 

If so, and it brings you all of that I take back my comment.  If not, then it stays. 

I'm going to say Yes. 

An antenna brings you your local channels including all of the sub-channels which are not always included on satellite.

Roku and other services bring you music channels along with quite a bit of content that is not on Dish or Direct.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#24 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

His comment is totally for a limited portiion of people.

Of course it was. His comment was of the form IF condition THEN statement. The statement only applies if the condition is met.

#25 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Maybe not, but he pretty much is insulting when he says you have no business having Dish or Direct.  It does not make sense.  You can only get locals if you live in a city.  My closest local tower is over 50 miles away with others even farther.  His comment is totally for a limited portiion of people.

Sorry but OTA TV does work beyond 50 miles. According to tvfool my locals are 63 miles away and I get 50+ channels counting subchannels.

#26 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

This has to be the dumbest statement I have ever read in my life.  What kind of shows does Roku bring you?  Does it bring you ESPN?  Does it bring you your local channels?  Does it bring you DIY and HGTV?  Does it bring you music channels?  If so, and it brings you all of that I take back my comment.  If not, then it stays. 

Does it even bring you reliable PVR "trick play" ability without endless buffering? Or an easy to navigate EPG?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#27 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Here I live on the the OR coast, and with the advent of all digital now, the only channels I get are local translators. No more long distance TV for me OTA. I used to get both Portland and Seattle OTA in analog, but those days are gone.

#28 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

I do not live in a city.  I get perfect reception of all my locals, and the nearest tower is 31 miles away, the furtherest one is 41.  I can also turn the antenna around and get stations almost all the time from 71 miles away.

I'd go back and re-read the sentence that says "you have no business having Dish or Direct."  You might have missed the condition that he used prior to that conclusion.

And I agree.  If you can get everything you want to watch through a Roku+Antenna, you really have no business paying the outrageous prices Dish or DirecTV charge, unless you like wasting money.

#29 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

OTA is great for those that get it well.  For many in the "satellite is my only choice" locations, OTA is a crapshoot.

#30 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

OTA is great for those that get it well.  For many in the "satellite is my only choice" locations, OTA is a crapshoot.

I understand the issues.  I really do.  I've spent a lot of time researching OTA options for people, and have been in contact with numerous station engineers to help them resolve tricky reception issues.  Most people believe "I'm too far away to get a decent signal" because they try horrible antennas in horrible locations and... surprise!  They get nothing.  Or they get something, but it keeps breaking up on them.

If you plug your numbers into TVFool, you should be able to get everything up to -100dBm reliably with a top-notch rooftop antenna and preamplifier.

#31 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

I see two different things being blended here. One is the content available if you don't have Cable/Satellite, the other what you are willing to give up.

If you say you would not be giving up anything by using just a Roku/Hulu/Amazon/OTA then as Harsh posted why are you wasting your money even one more second with Cable/Satellite.

But make no mistake, you do not and in many cases can not get the programming you do with a carrier. Yes, you can hunt and peck and get some of the big four Network shows, with commercials that can not be skipped in many cases. So if you do not have a way for OTA it will be tedious. You are paying less for a reason. You also can get shows from USA and the like through Hulu and other sites, but again it isn't turning the TV and picking a channel. One show is here, the other there. And of course some shows are a cost per show or season.

Don't take that for being down on "cutting the cord." You do save tons of money, but if anyone is portraying it as similar to or a replacement for the carriers it isn't. It is a different way to watch entertainment, minus much of sports. 

And with the new DISH agreement, I think there is going to be a shift in the universe when it comes to online programming. I don't expect any Disney channels, that may include ABC, to be available in anyway other than how it will be with DISH at some point. You will need to subscribe to a package, similar to but smaller than you do now with carrier packages. Online programming is in its infancy. I expect major changes to how you can obtain it.

Edited by tampa8, 06 March 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Don't take that for being down on "cutting the cord." You do save tons of money, but if anyone is portraying it as similar to or a replacement for the carriers it isn't. It is a different way to watch entertainment, minus much of sports. 

It isn't similar.  I don't think anybody believes that.  But if you have an OTA-only DVR and a streaming service, you have access to a lot of programming.  Live sports are somewhat limited, and that limitation seems to be growing by the day, but if numbers are to be believed, half of all households don't really care for sports enough to pay for it.

I find it hard to give up college and professional football and professional tennis.  But I could survive quite comfortably on my antenna + Amazon Prime's streaming if not for those.  And with a library 2 miles away with an extensive video library, I could even get by without Prime.  Once you get down to it, television is television.  Either you're entertained by it or you're not.  There isn't much there that you have to have to survive.

#33 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

It isn't similar. I don't think anybody believes that. But if you have an OTA-only DVR and a streaming service, you have access to a lot of programming. Live sports are somewhat limited, and that limitation seems to be growing by the day, but if numbers are to be believed, half of all households don't really care for sports enough to pay for it.

I find it hard to give up college and professional football and professional tennis. But I could survive quite comfortably on my antenna + Amazon Prime's streaming if not for those. And with a library 2 miles away with an extensive video library, I could even get by without Prime. Once you get down to it, television is television. Either you're entertained by it or you're not. There isn't much there that you have to have to survive.

And that's the reason why I want to cut the cord, minus HSI, I've been watching far less TV nowadays, and more YouTube and Netflix so I don't see a reason to keep it anymore, I don't watch sports or at least enough to care, and everything else ill catch it Hulu and if I really want to watch series episodes I can always do something that I rather not post here. I currently have 50/10 so it's not a problem streaming and download wise.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#34 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

I picked up Hulu Plus on their 1 week trial this last week to catch some of this seasons shows I had missed.

The fact that I could not skip the commercials was pretty bad. Same commercials repeated 3-4 times. 

So, once I had those shows watched,  I cancelled HuluPlus.

Netflix and Amazon I keep as they have no commercials and picture quality is excellent.   We are mainly into Movies and Drama Series shows. 

WTR Dish,  I have dropped from Top 250 to Top 200 to Top 120 with very minimal loss of service.  I do like the shows on AMC and TNT. 

However, my bill still hits $105/mo with HD, DVR,  two 722s and a 211k. 

OTA is pretty easy for me so the future may hold a new Tivo or something similar if I really cut the cord.  I think all of those Dish DVR shows on my external drive would have to go. 

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#35 OFFLINE   morrisdl

morrisdl

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Simple tv single tuner dvr is also a good dvr solution. Discontinued, but still avail on amazon for $125 incl lifetime guide data. Its not a nice as tivo romio, but it's a fraction of the cost. It also acts like a slingbox, playing upto 5 playback streams - but my 5M/1M pipe and switched 100m network seems to stumble after at 4. Works great with roku, phones, tablets, and browsers.

Also checkout "playon" server software to seriously augment the content available on roku. I thought we would watch less tv after cord cutting, but we just watch better quality tv (for free). Less bs "reality tv" and more ted talks, pbs, natgo, Smithsonian, comedians-in-cars, network programs, nfl replay.. etc

Its definitely not for everyone like the foxnews 24/7 crowd, but there is a growing percetage going this online route.

#36 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

I understand the issues.  I really do.  I've spent a lot of time researching OTA options for people, and have been in contact with numerous station engineers to help them resolve tricky reception issues.  Most people believe "I'm too far away to get a decent signal" because they try horrible antennas in horrible locations and... surprise!  They get nothing.  Or they get something, but it keeps breaking up on them.

If you plug your numbers into TVFool, you should be able to get everything up to -100dBm reliably with a top-notch rooftop antenna and preamplifier.

I live only 36 miles from the transmitters but can get only VHF channels reliably.  I use a high power Winegard HD-8200 antenna for VHF and an Antennas driect XG-91 for UHF combined with a Channel Master 7777 preamp.  The Winegard shoots straight at the towers, but UHF can only be gotten on a bounce off the mountain behind us.  I have been tweaking this setup for over a decade and have never gotten great results on UHF.  UHF is quite difficult here and my wife gets particularly annoyed at the slightest dropouts when recording OTA on our Hopper, so locals on the Dish are a must here.  I tried to atach my TV Fool.  Only VHF channels (other than the channel 19 translator 2 miles from my house) are under the -100dBm.Radar-All Home 09-28-11.png

#37 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I live only 36 miles from the transmitters but can get only VHF channels reliably.  I use a high power Winegard HD-8200 antenna for VHF and an Antennas driect XG-91 for UHF combined with a Channel Master 7777 preamp.   ...Only VHF channels (other than the channel 19 translator 2 miles from my house) are under the -100dBm.attachicon.gifRadar-All Home 09-28-11.png

Yes, and I wasn't saying everyone can get signals from 50+ miles away.  Local topography and obstructions do matter.  But if I had a nickel for every time somebody went to Walmart and bought a $10 "amplified" indoor antenna and stuck it in the basement on the floor and then complained that they couldn't get anything...

#38 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Now that the wife's beloved Dallas mini-series is finished for now, I called this morning to cancel DISH Network.  Of course they mentioned lower packages, which didn't interest me.  They then mentioned over the air TV, which I sort of find interesting.  I mean, isn't the whole idea of Direct Broadcast Satellite to be able to offer channels not received over the air.  Yeah, I do get how some people can't get those over the air, but I still find it interesting.  Anyway, they asked how much I thought it was worth and they ended up reducing my rate by $40 per month, so it is now about $21.99 per month.  They also offered some premium channels for 3 months.  I will stay with DISH a little longer.

Edited by Jim148, 19 April 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#39 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Another important thing to keep in mind...everyone keeps saying "oh, Dish has MORE channels than anyone else" but do you actually watch any of them?  Quantity only matters when it's not dozens or hundreds of channels of programming you're not interested in to begin with.

There are too many channels with the same content.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

They then mentioned over the air TV, which I sort of find interesting.  I mean, isn't the whole idea of Direct Broadcast Satellite to be able to offer channels not received over the air.

The additional channels are a benefit ... but the idea is to provide customers with whatever level of service they are willing to pay for. If you or others are willing to pay for a very basic package with OTA channels and not much more then why not offer the service?

The competition - Cable TV - started out as a common antenna TV service (or community antenna TV) delivering OTA channels. While it may seem odd to offer an OTA package, DBS is simply getting back to the roots of paid TV delivery.

They also offered some premium channels for 3 months.  I will stay with DISH a little longer.

And there is the rest of the story ... Watch for the expiration of your three month package and make sure you don't end up paying for extra content you do not want. But as long as there is DISH service in your home, DISH will be able to make some money off of the content and convenience services provided and perhaps a little more if you decide to buy a PPV or add more channels in the future.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...