Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling DISH ServiceI am ready to cancel DISH

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Now that the wife's beloved Dallas mini-series is finished for now, I called this morning to cancel DISH Network.  Of course they mentioned lower packages, which didn't interest me.  They then mentioned over the air TV, which I sort of find interesting.  I mean, isn't the whole idea of Direct Broadcast Satellite to be able to offer channels not received over the air.  Yeah, I do get how some people can't get those over the air, but I still find it interesting.  Anyway, they asked how much I thought it was worth and they ended up reducing my rate by $40 per month, so it is now about $21.99 per month.  They also offered some premium channels for 3 months.  I will stay with DISH a little longer.

May I ask what package you have, and how many months did they offer you that discount?

Thanks!

chris

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think it is America's Top 120.  They first offer was only 9 months, but the counter offer, which we agreed upon, is 12 months.

#43 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

They offered me a small package at that price (Welcome Pack), but it didn't include ESPN.  Other great deals they offered came with 24-month commitments.

#44 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Sorry but OTA TV does work beyond 50 miles. According to tvfool my locals are 63 miles away and I get 50+ channels counting subchannels.

good for you. My local stations are less the 30 miles and you need a large rooftop model, to receive 3 channels.
Not everyone lives in the city or the plains states.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#45 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

Portland OR is 75 air miles and Seattle WA is 140 air miles from the Northern Oregon coast and unless a person lives on the tall hill or mountain, the digital signals do not work. The only OTA I get are the local translators located 12 miles away. I cannot even get the translators at 30 miles away. In the Midwest where everything is flat, OTA does get out well, but not in mountains.

#46 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Portland OR is 75 air miles and Seattle WA is 140 air miles from the Northern Oregon coast and unless a person lives on the tall hill or mountain, the digital signals do not work. The only OTA I get are the local translators located 12 miles away. I cannot even get the translators at 30 miles away. In the Midwest where everything is flat, OTA does get out well, but not in mountains.

I have some experience with long-distance reception.  I know that over average terrain, full-powered digital works just fine for 60 miles.  But mountains are not average terrain, and it becomes a matter of just how blocked you are from the transmitter.  I know that some people are 100+ miles from Mount Wilson in LA but have line-of-sight and get perfect reception.  And people are able to get incredible distances over lakes, because of the unique features of that situation.  But beyond 60 miles is difficult to do reliably in most situations, simply because the earth is not flat and UHF signals do not "bend" very much.  VHF will travel much further, as it bends more readily, but the FCC really didn't provide enough power for long distance reception of digital VHF.

However, translators are rarely very high-powered, and are typically only intended to cover a small area around a city.  Receiving LP translators at any significant distance is going to be difficult at best.

Because television reception depends on a very large number of variables, it takes someone with experience and knowledge to assess each individual situation.  And since not all the variables can be known, even the best engineers sometimes scratch their heads and say, "Huh."

#47 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

You are very correct in your comments. Analog VHF was much easier to receive. Even analog UHF was difficult at best from here for Seattle. I rarely seen it. Now with lower power digital UHF and very low power on the digital high VHF, long distance TV reception from here is about impossible, unless I had a very tall tower (200') or so. That is not practical, with the airport 5 miles away and our very high winds in the Winter. But the translators at 12.2 miles run an ERP from 500w to 5750 W and all are about line of sight. I get 92-100%. Anything farther signals will not lock. A large hill blocks me to the NE where the other lp translators are at 30 miles. But I guess I am lucky to get what I get. 2-6-8-10-12-49) out of Portland including sub channels on 8 & 10. The translators are from ch 17 to 34. Adds up to 10 TV and 3 Audio. Only 2 (26) is still in  analog,

#48 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

But I guess I am lucky to get what I get. 2-6-8-10-12-49) out of Portland including sub channels on 8 & 10. The translators are from ch 17 to 34. Adds up to 10 TV and 3 Audio. Only 2 (26) is still in  analog,

That's not so bad. When I was a kid in the flat midwest, we only got three (analog) channels and that was with a rotating antenna on the roof. By the time I was a teenager, we were up to 4 (PBS added) and there were two more where you could get intelligible signals for seconds to minutes at a time depending on weather. Then we got cable and there were around 15-18 channels.

#49 OFFLINE   opiee

opiee

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

I hate dish support, they dont understand customers even though we pay outrageous bill charges.

recently i got call from dish support guy saying he is from dish and he gave promotion for 2 yr program free for just $900.00.  And he added bunch of programs, they have connection internally with dish behind the scenes and added some programs and made my monthly bill go up.

they backed my account with some gift cards what they say and asked us to send money to some guy in ca adeel and then  after few months all those gift cards charged back and the bill is outstanding and connection is cancelled.

when talked to dish says yes we know that kind of fraud, we can't help it even though you did not added the programs you have to pay.  i said why i pay when they hacked your systems behind  the scenes and you actually allowed our private information to loose and now my identity is lost.  they say no dish systems are not hacked they activated the program from your online account.  I said they added bunch of deals that i don't see on online account access, it has to be inside job.  I said dish you don't fix your systems, you don't go after this fraud guys

dish is risking customer personal information

-  never put banking information on dish accounts, they are easily hacked by these groups

-- never pay by credit card or debit card on dish account, no one knows what charges will be applied to your cards

-- not sure what else they took from your account like ssn , date of birth street address

-- dish is not fair to understand our concern, we lost our money, we lost dish service and over the top we have to pay huge bill that dish said that programs were added by me so i have to pay even after i told them do not refund excess money from my account

these fraud guys called dish internal and asked them to erase those special comments and finally the have full control of dish account

dish don't don anything, and still they charge huge bill, while netflix etc can be available for less than $10.  the whole dish is stupid, high charges, bad customer support, fraud guys throw deals that makes us attractive and we lose money and we lose dish service

i can't afford dish service at the cost of person identity theft, my banking information is public available for fraud guys to exchange in black markets, and dish studious bill

i recommend people to stop taking dish for ever there bill goes up up up 74.99 per month

and dvr fee

and extra receiver fee

and hd fee

and etc

and etc

so expensive and highly unsecured.

better for me is to get sirius radio for live news and watch netflix for entertainment and if possible have over the air digital transmission service

all end up by $30 bucks a month and your life is happy.

i hate dish support not even understanding about my situation just want their bill to be paid and don't protect our banking information.  i have zero consumer confidence in dish

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

While I can sympathize with your plight... it sounds like you were scammed, and gave out personal information over the phone to someone you didn't know... then that person took the personal info that you freely gave and used it to hijack your Dish account.

You should never give out personal information like that to anyone who calls you.  The smart thing to do would be hang up and call Dish yourself.  I'm pretty sure you would have been immediately told that the offer was a scam and was not offered by someone representing Dish Network.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#51 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I hate dish support, they dont understand customers even though we pay outrageous bill charges.

recently i got call from dish support guy saying he is from dish and he gave promotion for 2 yr program free for just $900.00.  And he added bunch of programs, they have connection internally with dish behind the scenes and added some programs and made my monthly bill go up.

they backed my account with some gift cards what they say and asked us to send money to some guy in ca adeel and then  after few months all those gift cards charged back and the bill is outstanding and connection is cancelled.

when talked to dish says yes we know that kind of fraud, we can't help it even though you did not added the programs you have to pay.  i said why i pay when they hacked your systems behind  the scenes and you actually allowed our private information to loose and now my identity is lost.  they say no dish systems are not hacked they activated the program from your online account.  I said they added bunch of deals that i don't see on online account access, it has to be inside job.  I said dish you don't fix your systems, you don't go after this fraud guys

dish is risking customer personal information

-  never put banking information on dish accounts, they are easily hacked by these groups

-- never pay by credit card or debit card on dish account, no one knows what charges will be applied to your cards

-- not sure what else they took from your account like ssn , date of birth street address

-- dish is not fair to understand our concern, we lost our money, we lost dish service and over the top we have to pay huge bill that dish said that programs were added by me so i have to pay even after i told them do not refund excess money from my account

these fraud guys called dish internal and asked them to erase those special comments and finally the have full control of dish account

dish don't don anything, and still they charge huge bill, while netflix etc can be available for less than $10.  the whole dish is stupid, high charges, bad customer support, fraud guys throw deals that makes us attractive and we lose money and we lose dish service

i can't afford dish service at the cost of person identity theft, my banking information is public available for fraud guys to exchange in black markets, and dish studious bill

i recommend people to stop taking dish for ever there bill goes up up up 74.99 per month

and dvr fee

and extra receiver fee

and hd fee

and etc

and etc

so expensive and highly unsecured.

better for me is to get sirius radio for live news and watch netflix for entertainment and if possible have over the air digital transmission service

all end up by $30 bucks a month and your life is happy.

i hate dish support not even understanding about my situation just want their bill to be paid and don't protect our banking information.  i have zero consumer confidence in dish

I've been with them for more than 10 years without a problem...but then I wouldn't fall for a deal that seems too good to be true.

#52 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Roku and OTA competitive? For who? The small number of users who use this site and other satellite sites? I'd bet you the majority of people out there have no clue what a Roku or OTA is. I'd bet they do know names like Dish or Direct or Cox or Comcast.

I think calling it competitive is a bit of a stretch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using DBSTalk mobile app

#53 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

I've been with them for more than 10 years without a problem...but then I wouldn't fall for a deal that seems too good to be true.

Agreed, I mean, would you send money to someone in Africa who told you that you won the lottery of that if you send him money first you'll get more in return? Come on... A little common sense goes a long way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using DBSTalk mobile app

Protected By... spam firewall...And...