Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Schedule manual recording on Genie when away?

Best Answer Steve , 28 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Is there a way, either through the D* iPad app, D* iPhone GenieGO app, the D* Android GenieGO app or the D* website to program a manual recording?  Whenever I have tried to record something that has already started, it always fails.

Inky's point aside, you can schedule a manual recording using the DIRECTV for iPhone app. It's under "settings".

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I just got my Genie and GenieGO installed.  I understand that in order to stream a particular show, it must be recorded on the Genie.  Accordingly, the only way to stream "live" TV is to have it being recorded.

I have tried searching and I cannot figure out how to "schedule" a manual recording on the Genie unless I am in front of it.  By "manual recording" I mean tell the DVR to record from a particular time to a particular time on a particular channel, irrespective of what show or program may be on at those times.

Is there a way, either through the D* iPad app, D* iPhone GenieGO app, the D* Android GenieGO app or the D* website to program a manual recording?  Whenever I have tried to record something that has already started, it always fails.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,116 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Recordings/Manage Recordings/Manual Records

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,840 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

He wants to start it while he's not home.

There's no way to do that.

However I can start a recording in the middle of a show so I wonder what else is going in here. You should be able to.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,902 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

another option if using the DirecTV app is to extend the show.  you can extend up to 3 hours

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

However I can start a recording in the middle of a show so I wonder what else is going in here. You should be able to.

The goal would seem to be to simulate Slinging a channel versus just one program (and perhaps some programs that follow it) on that channel. You don't care what is on, but you want a channel to be available to watch (or perhaps just listen) OOH.

I can see where you might want to do this on a channel where there aren't clearly defined programs or what programs there are come in relatively long blocks.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,840 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

The goal would seem to be to simulate Slinging a channel versus just one program (and perhaps some programs that follow it) on that channel. You don't care what is on, but you want a channel to be available to watch (or perhaps just listen) OOH.

I can see where you might want to do this on a channel where there aren't clearly defined programs or what programs there are come in relatively long blocks.

I read his issue as he wants to be able to do a manual so he can start it in a min and then be able to watch it because he doesn't think it will begin a recording if a show is already started.

But it should start after something is already started. So that's the root of his issue.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:32 PM   Best Answer

Inky's point aside, you can schedule a manual recording using the DIRECTV for iPhone app. It's under "settings".

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0681.PNG

/steve

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,840 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

Oh, I forgot about the iPhone app having that! My bad. :)

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,902 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Oh, I forgot about the iPhone app having that! My bad. :)

Which begs the question, Why the iPad app does not?  :shrug:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

I read his issue as he wants to be able to do.....

What the OP wants is the ability to use the GENIEGO as if it were a Slingbox.  The functional difference is that the Slingbox lets you view live programming.  If he can simply set a recording for a program that is currently running, this makes the two functionally equivalent.

I know that he has a Slingbox and all the necessary Slingplayer clients.  He wants the ability to use either.

I believe he found that solutions.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

If he can simply set a recording for a program that is currently running, this makes the two functionally equivalent.

In that a Slingbox will let you perform the simple act of changing channels without cancelling a recording in progress and setting up a new recording, they're not all that functionally equivalent in place shifting terms.

If you can limit yourself to GenieGo eligible content and keep it to one channel, it may meet your needs but it is not a general purpose place shifting device.

Edited by harsh, 01 March 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...