Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Military Channel name change?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Just wondering if DTV is going to change the name of the Military Channel to American Heroes Channel? I cant find the Military channel on my iphone, but I can see on my phone AHCH channel 287 which is the same channel number of the Military channel.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...eroes-from-all/

LOS ANGELES –  The Discovery-owned Military Channel is just days away from debuting its new look and new name. On March 3, it will become the American Heroes Channel (AHC).

While the channel will continue to present military-themed specials, executives hope the new name will reflect their desire to focus on a broader range of American heroes and helpers.

"When we launched a few years ago we were engaged in two wars overseas, and we wanted to really acknowledge the acts of valor that were going on," the channel’s general manager, Kevin Bennett, told FOX411. "But these stories of heroism aren't solely reserved for the battlefield.

“With the rename, we hope to expand our audience. We are still going to have that same action feel as our military programs, but also look at heroes in things like the space race and first responders to tragic events. It's a natural evolution for us."

Bennett said space seems to be lacking these untold stories of heroism, so the expansion is a crucial one.

"There has been a misconception with the Military Channel that we were all guns and ammo all the time, but we are about all sorts of heroes on and off the battlefield."

AHC, currently in 63 million homes, will debut 17 new series and specials, including "CIA: Declassified," which reveals stories of America's top-secret Cold War missions, and "Codes and Conspiracies," which reveals the history of the world's most clandestine institutions and mysterious symbols.

But perhaps the most hotly anticipated show is "Against the Odds," a six-part series Bennett calls the "most powerful" program they've aired to-date.

Narrated by Rob Lowe, the series unveils the harsh realities of war, using archival footage and first-hand interviews to illuminate U.S. troops who banded together during battle.

March 3’s premiere episode, "The Marines at Hue," focuses on the three U.S. Marine battalions that, along with two Army battalions and South Vietnamese troops, beat the odds to defeat entrenched North Vietnamese troops and the Viet Cong in the South Vietnamese city in 1968.

"People deal with the fog of war and combat situations differently,” said John Ligato, a Marine who fought in Vietnam . “[Recalling] some moments were somewhat difficult – these were things I really hadn't thought about in many years – but this is a story that had to be told. It is a story a lot of people need to know ... the tremendous odds that the Marines were up against. And for the first week, because of the weather, we had no other ground or air support."

Each episode of "Against the Odds" zooms in on a different battle, including "A Chance in Hell," which looks at U.S. Army Col. Sean MacFarland's Ready First Combat Team's victory in Ramadi, Iraq, and "The Battle for Sugar Loaf Hill," which explores the fight on the island of Okinawa during World War II.

Ligato says young Americans need to be exposed to moments like these.

"They need to see the brotherhood and the sacrifices people make,” he said. “They'll learn that the most ferocious fighting machine is a pissed-off 19-year-old Marine. But we're proud of who we are. We are the greatest fighting nation."

"Against All Odds" debuts on American Heroes Channel March 3 at 10/9c

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,355 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Just wondering if DTV is going to change the name of the Military Channel to American Heroes Channel? I cant find the Military channel on my iphone, but I can see on my phone AHCH channel 287 which is the same channel number of the Military channel.

I think you've answered your own question.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

The guide on my dtv receivers still says Military Channel. I thought AHC was going to be a seperate channel. Thanks for the info Mshaw.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#5 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Let's hope it does not turn into another "reality channel" like History, H2, National Georgraphic, Discovery, et. al. While some people can't get enough of these type of programs, there are people who want to watch in depth real documentaries, history and science. "Pawn Stars", "Ice Road Truckers", "Ax Men", "Swamp People", "Bering Sea Gold", "When Ghosts Attack", etc. do not fall into this category. Neither do so called "documentaries"using extraterristrials to speculate about historical events. Discovery and A&E Networks have been in a race to the bottom, in regards of what is called history and science.

The "Marines at Hue" and "Against teh Odds" sounds like a good start for this new channel. The other shows are promising, as long as AHC does not fall into the trap the other Discovery and A&E Network channels already have. Unfortunately, "reality" TV is cheap to produce.

• Dude111 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Oh yeah, it would be nice if this channel was in HD.

#7 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Previously discussed at this link: http://www.dbstalk.c...ch-3/?p=3232194

#8 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Well, if they stop running those shows about Hitler three times a week, I'm sure they'll have room for a wider variety of programming...

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,192 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

The Channel is still pushing the old logo as well as the new. When they stop, then worry about DirecTV

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Another disappointing case of channel drift. 

Prediction: This channel will have 75% alien and bigfoot programming by 2016.

#11 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Why? Because they changed their name?

#12 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Another disappointing case of channel drift.

As opposed to when it was Discovery Wings? At least it's keeping the military based theme.

Edited by KyL416, 02 March 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#13 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

The Channel is still pushing the old logo as well as the new. When they stop, then worry about DirecTV

The two articles I read said they are changing their name on (Monday) March 3rd. So I'd wait until after the 3rd to see what logo is being used or what name is in the guide. 

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,242 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

As opposed to when it was Discovery Wings? At least it's keeping the military based theme.

They are expanding into non-military heroes. I don't expect every program on the channel to be about a specific hero or group of heroes. But the removal of "military" from the name opens up the channel to be able to memorialize people who are or were not specifically military.

Hopefully this will mean less shows about Hitler ... unless they are ethnocentric shows about how American heroes fought Hitler. With "American" in the title I'd expect a focus on the heroes of this country over the heroes of other countries.

So unless Bigfoot is an American hero I would not expect a show about him. Perhaps UFO shows will make it on the air if the story is about an American hero who hunts UFOs. No channel is 100% true to their title.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Would be nice if D* had the Military Channel (or American Heroes Channel) in HD.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Let's hope it does not turn into another "reality channel" like History, H2, National Georgraphic, Discovery, et. al. While some people can't get enough of these type of programs, there are people who want to watch in depth real documentaries, history and science. "Pawn Stars", "Ice Road Truckers", "Ax Men", "Swamp People", "Bering Sea Gold", "When Ghosts Attack", etc. do not fall into this category. Neither do so called "documentaries"using extraterristrials to speculate about historical events. Discovery and A&E Networks have been in a race to the bottom, in regards of what is called history and science.

The "Marines at Hue" and "Against teh Odds" sounds like a good start for this new channel. The other shows are promising, as long as AHC does not fall into the trap the other Discovery and A&E Network channels already have. Unfortunately, "reality" TV is cheap to produce.

I love Pawn Stars. It's educational.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   Ssgreeno

Ssgreeno

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

The Military Channel was one of our favorite channels.  I am dismayed to find they have changed the name and now  have a lot of religious programs listed .I went thru school and have a college degree, and I still had no idea how and why WW2 was fought until I was able to watch the Military channe on this subject..  Young students today have no knowledge at all about it. We need to see it to understand we must never let this happen again.   

#18 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Vietnam was longer ago for students today than WW2 was when I was in school.  For today's students, WW2 is as far in the past as the Spanish American war was for me when I was in school.

#19 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

The Military Channel was one of our favorite channels. I am dismayed to find they have changed the name and now have a lot of religious programs listed .I went thru school and have a college degree, and I still had no idea how and why WW2 was fought until I was able to watch the Military channe on this subject.. Young students today have no knowledge at all about it. We need to see it to understand we must never let this happen again.

Really? You had no idea how or why World War II was fought until you watched it on TV? How did you get out of high school history? Consider my mind boggled.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • sigma1914 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Really? You had no idea how or why World War II was fought until you watched it on TV? How did you get out of high school history? Consider my mind boggled.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Here's some more boggling for your mind. When the movie "Apollo 13" was released my nephew went to see it. When he returned home he discussed the movie with his parents and was surprised to learn from them that it was based on fact, not fiction.   

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...