Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Military Channel name change?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Here's some more boggling for your mind. When the movie "Apollo 13" was released my nephew went to see it. When he returned home he discussed the movie with his parents and was surprised to learn from them that it was based on fact, not fiction.   

OK, we are getting off topic, but that reminds me of the story of the kids who were standing in line to watch Titanic and were bummed out because someone in front if them made the comment that she was probably going to cry when the ship sunk.  The kids thought that statement was a spoiler.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

As opposed to when it was Discovery Wings? At least it's keeping the military based theme.

The definition of an American hero is very broad. Teachers can be heroes. Environmentalists can be heros. Civil servants can be heros. Civil rights leaders can be heros.  Athletes can be heros. Comic book characters can be heros. Politicians can be heros. Ordinary people faced with extraordinary circumstances can be heros. Their president said:

“We will honor those who serve our country with courage and distinction in any number of other ways as well. It can be firemen. It can be policemen. And those who don’t even necessarily wear a uniform, but whose actions inspire all Americans.”

In other words, this channel can be about anything, anyone and everything. While I think they will have a military theme in the near term being they hold the rights to that type of programming, that will shift over time.

Why? Because they changed their name?

The name change foretells that they are going to go away from military niche based historical programming and bridge to a wider audience, i.e. they are going to be trying to get the same eyeballs as the A&E networks History, H2, CI and Bio. I can't blame them being they answer to shareholders, but I can already get that kind of programming on the before mentioned channels and can't get the military content anywhere. 

I think the real question at this point is what's their first reality show going to be about?  

#23 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

I think the real question at this point is what's their first reality show going to be about?  

Housewives of Camp Lejeune?

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

This morning there was a show about the influence of UFOs on Nazi Germany. Must have forgotten the name change. :rolleyes:

As far as the comments on education ... My wife has noted that in school they started at the front of the textbook and worked through it until time ran out at the end of the year. They barely got to WW2 and then tried to skip through and cover the important bits after that. She lamented not having a class on the last 20 years. There was a semester on "current events" but they were about "now" and the past couple of years that formed the now, not the 20-30 year gap between the end of History class and the beginning of Current Events.

I'm older than my wife, so I had less history to learn. :D

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

This morning there was a show about the influence of UFOs on Nazi Germany. Must have forgotten the name change. 

As stated above, they currently own the rights to a large stockpile of military themed programming. Thus, said programming will make up a majority of airings until new rights purchases inline with their updated strategic theme manifest into the lineup.  This transformation often takes a few years. 

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

OK, we are getting off topic, but that reminds me of the story of the kids who were standing in line to watch Titanic and were bummed out because someone in front if them made the comment that she was probably going to cry when the ship sunk.  The kids thought that statement was a spoiler.

The same type thing is now going on regarding the movie "Pompeii".  Sad really...

Probably for "Noah" as well.  Love how that bill that one as "The untold story of Noah".  lol

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

As stated above, they currently own the rights to a large stockpile of military themed programming. Thus, said programming will make up a majority of airings until new rights purchases inline with their updated strategic theme manifest into the lineup.  This transformation often takes a few years.

Perhaps if they want to synergize the upflow of viewership they might want to get a move on ... lest those the initial bubble of viewership increased caused by the publicity of the name change be lost when said viewers see programming that does not fullfil the channel's announced mission.

First impressions mean a lot.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

This morning there was a show about the influence of UFOs on Nazi Germany. Must have forgotten the name change. :rolleyes:

As far as the comments on education ... My wife has noted that in school they started at the front of the textbook and worked through it until time ran out at the end of the year. They barely got to WW2 and then tried to skip through and cover the important bits after that. She lamented not having a class on the last 20 years. There was a semester on "current events" but they were about "now" and the past couple of years that formed the now, not the 20-30 year gap between the end of History class and the beginning of Current Events.

I'm older than my wife, so I had less history to learn. :D

My classmates and I endured the same teaching methods as your wife. Seeing how World War II greatly affected the later half of the twentieth century one would think more emphasis would have been placed upon it.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Really? You had no idea how or why World War II was fought until you watched it on TV? How did you get out of high school history? Consider my mind boggled.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

A few years ago (about 10), I regularly attended baseball games next to a senior in high school. Her take on WW II was all focused on a small number of children who were forced to give birth to children who fit the correct genetics. Hitler? Who? Oh, yeah. He had something to do with it.

This was not her being lazy (she finished 7th in her class). This was a complete lack of coverage of the war in the history curriculum.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#30 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

My classmates and I endured the same teaching methods as your wife. Seeing how World War II greatly affected the later half of the twentieth century one would think more emphasis would have been placed upon it.

One would think, but  in a topsy-turvy world where school children at play pointing 'finger-guns' is severely punished, to do so would expose younger generations to the real reality of real guns, real war and real death.

Don't get me started on zero-tolerance.

pew-pew-pew!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#31 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Beyond teaching...more has been written about World War II than any other conflict in history, not to mention museums, monuments, families with veterans, references in popular culture, movies... etc. I would think somewhere along the line one would acquire at least a rudimentary knowledge of the greatest conflict in human history.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

spam firewall