Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I can't believe what the installer did over two years ago!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timothy2001

timothy2001

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Long story short when I had DTV installed almost three years ago I just figured out that the installer cut my coax cables in my house to suit his needs, disconnected my pre-wired and remodeled two story garage and connected the second dish to that existing coax.  

Thought I would post here before I take it up with DirectTV, I am certain I don't have proof but there is nobody else who has been in my attics or installed anything that has to do with cabling.  

Now I am moving my office out to my garage (work full time from home and internet is vital provided by Comcast) and I need internet in my garage and have no way to get it there.   DirectTV is running over the coax in my house and garage that was intended for internet.  

I can remember tipping the guy very well too, little did I know he screwed me. 

53 years old and still don't know enough to not be taken.  

Unreal.  

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Um, can you explain a bit more how you had wired things and how they are wired now? There is always a way... ;)

#3 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Isn't it common for the installer to use existing wiring if available and it's up to par? Did you tell the installer to not use the wiring? How was he supposed to know that it was "intended for internet" in the future?

It doesn't sound to me like the installer did anything to intentionally screw you.

#4 OFFLINE   timothy2001

timothy2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

You bet and I appreciate that there is always a way.  In the garage the coax from the internet source to the exterior connection through the wall is gone and in its place is the feed from the dish that was installed.  Instead of running new cable they used the coax intended for the internet.   I wrongly assumed they would run their own cable.

In the house it's just a mess.  I had to purchase a tone generator to try to figure out why I had no continuity to all of my coax outlets and come to find out there are multiple cut cables in the attic for what reason I have no idea.  

My issue is this;  I want to have (need) wired internet in the house and in the garage and maybe this is for a different forum?  Cable modem and router in the house and maybe I just need to split the coax feeding the house and run a new cable out to the garage to feed those outlets and get a router and modem out there.  Sheesh.  A lot of trouble and expense for that model, technology maybe could accommodate a different way. 

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Your cable company should run it for you.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   timothy2001

timothy2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Isn't it common for the installer to use existing wiring if available and it's up to par? Did you tell the installer to not use the wiring? How was he supposed to know that it was "intended for internet" in the future?

It doesn't sound to me like the installer did anything to intentionally screw you.

Your probably right, I should have paid closer attention to what was going on too.  

#7 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Give yourself a break.  Go to a simple end game.  Hire a qualified electrician to run cables to where you need them.  It might be more money than you want to spend, but your pain will be over soon.

Ut Prosim

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

Cutting prewired cables without explicit permission seems to be too much ... perhaps the installer misunderstood you?

As far as Internet, I'd expect the cable to enter the house, go to a cable modem, and then be distributed from that point to where it is needed. But I understand that in a cable ready home an installer might install the cable modem elsewhere in the home (wherever a cable outlet is handy). If the cable outlet has been repurposed for a satellite system the cable internet installer would need to run their own cable or find a different location for the modem.

Can the cable modem be placed elsewhere and Ethernet be used to get the service to your office?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   timothy2001

timothy2001

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

I may be able to move the cable modem to another location and then feed the distribution for the Ethernet but it's still got no way of hitting the garage. 

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

I get decent wireless connections to a computer in a free-standing hobby room next to our alley. The distance from Verizon's router to the back building is about 50 feet. 

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,607 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

I am missing something here?

Some one had to run a cable, DirecTV didn't do it, why not let the cable tech do it.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

You bet and I appreciate that there is always a way.  In the garage the coax from the internet source to the exterior connection through the wall is gone and in its place is the feed from the dish that was installed.  Instead of running new cable they used the coax intended for the internet.   I wrongly assumed they would run their own cable.

In the house it's just a mess.  I had to purchase a tone generator to try to figure out why I had no continuity to all of my coax outlets and come to find out there are multiple cut cables in the attic for what reason I have no idea.  

My issue is this;  I want to have (need) wired internet in the house and in the garage and maybe this is for a different forum?  Cable modem and router in the house and maybe I just need to split the coax feeding the house and run a new cable out to the garage to feed those outlets and get a router and modem out there.  Sheesh.  A lot of trouble and expense for that model, technology maybe could accommodate a different way. 

Wait, you already have a modem in the house and you want a second one in your office?  Unless you have two separate setups because of your business, I don't think they will let you have more than one modem per account.  Maybe what you actually need is cat6 wire run anyway? And use switches, not routers?

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

Wait, you already have a modem in the house and you want a second one in your office?  Unless you have two separate setups because of your business, I don't think they will let you have more than one modem per account.  Maybe what you actually need is cat6 wire run anyway? And use switches, not routers?

Not sure how it is with the other cable providers but, comcast will let you have as many modems as you what on your account as long as you purchase a data plan with each one. I know a family that currently has 4 of them on one account... they also have 9 teenagers in the house!

Edited by Old_School, 02 March 2014 - 06:33 AM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

I can remember tipping the guy very well too, little did I know he screwed me. 

Unreal.  

Should have never tipped him, you wouldn't be as disappointed.

#15 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Thought I would post here before I take it up with DirectTV 

You are going to call Directv and TRY to talk to them about some wiring issue from 3 years ago,  C'MON what the heck are you talking about.  It's your issue and your problem now, they don't want to hear from you and will not fix whatever issues you think you have.  I am not trying to be a jerk, just let's keep it real.  Don't waste your time or their time and look stupid calling them, "hey, Directv 3 years ago I think your installer cut some cables of mine, I want you to fix it now".   Directv:  O-K, well be right their sir

Edited by directv newb, 02 March 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Not sure how it is with the other cable providers but, comcast will let you have as many modems as you what on your account as long as you purchase a data plan with each one. I know a family that currently has 4 of them on one account... they also have 9 teenagers in the house!

What do you mean by data plan for each? You mean they charge a separate account fee per modem?

#17 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

Unless you told them otherwise, I would think that any tech would assume that you would want them to use the unused pre-wired cable rather running additional cable, which wouldn't be run inside of walls.

#18 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Your probably right, I should have paid closer attention to what was going on too.  

You really have to stay on top of them.  And don't tip them unless you're absolutely positive the job has been done correctly.  I made those same mistakes and getting an installer who knows what he's doing is rare.  If you know what you want and don't keep an eye on any contractor, you're probably not gonna get exactly what you want/need.  

Rich 

#19 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Unless you told them otherwise, I would think that any tech would assume that you would want them to use the unused pre-wired cable rather running additional cable, which wouldn't be run inside of walls.

Wouldn't you think the installer should have asked first?  That's like an electrician splicing into an existing wire and assuming he can use it without causing any problems.  

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   scr

scr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

You really have to stay on top of them.  And don't tip them unless you're absolutely positive the job has been done correctly.  I made those same mistakes and getting an installer who knows what he's doing is rare.  If you know what you want and don't keep an eye on any contractor, you're probably not gonna get exactly what you want/need.  

Rich 

I recently had HD installed and offered the installer a tip and he politely declined the offer saying it was against the company policy.

spam firewall