Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Blackouts Start

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

I tried to tune into the MLB network to watch a pre-season baseball game, and ALREADY got the dreaded blackout message.  So, I have some questions....

First, since its not on locally, why is it backed out when I pay for MLB channel in my package?

Second, since the team in question claims my location as its territory, but Directv chooses to give us an RSN from another team that claims us, why cannot I subscribe to the second RSN for an extra $2 like some other cities can?

I am guessing, in order to watch this team, I would have to subscribe to the Sports Pack for $13 a month, is that correct?   If the team claims your zip, and you subscribe to the sports pack, you can get their preseason and regular games without paying for Extra Innings?

This baseball blackout crap always confuses me.  Last year, I subscribed to Extra Innings and this teams games were STILL backed out, unless I also bought the sports pack.  Im not going through this again...so someone please explain to me like I am 5, what I need to watch the St Louis Cardinals from Arkansas 72118.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

Last year, I subscribed to Extra Innings and this teams games were STILL backed out, unless I also bought the sports pack.

You just answered your question, you need the Sports Pack. For some outer ring areas DirecTV gives you access to extra teams via the sports pack instead of having everyone with Choice and higher pay for a team over 300 miles away. For example, where I live in the Northeast Pennsylvania, if I get the Sports Pack I can get the Pittsburgh teams.

http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

The way the MLB divides the territories everyone in the country is covered by a team. Within the territory outside of the exclusive windows for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball and Saturday Fox games, the local RSN has all the rights to the team, even if you're in the outer ring and have to pay extra via sports pack to get the RSN. MLB Network can only provide the games to the territories not claimed by that team. The same goes for TBS along with the non-exclusive weekday games on ESPN.

Edited by KyL416, 01 March 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

ok your zip is claimed by both texas teams (Texas & Houston) and both Missouri teams (St Louis and KC). OK so to simplify it

-if one of those 4 teams is on mlb network you are blacked out

-mlb ei WONT get you those teams. MLB EI is for out of market games

-checking the RSN finder with Choice you get FSN SW (676) which gives you

• Dallas Mavericks
  • Dallas Stars
  • Oklahoma City Thunder
  • Rangers

check 677 & 678 too as those are overflow. Houston you're basically screwed as you're blacked out on MLB EI (considered local) and the RSN is not available.

Now if you add the sports pack (13.99) You would also get FSN Midwest (671) and FSN KC (672-1) for Cards and Royals games

You also get FS South but only for the Memphis Grizzles games

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Ok Thanks.  So I need the sports pack, and can watch the Cardinals games...Sounds good to me.  I sure like the way the NFL does it better....I wasted a lot of money last year getting extra innings and still couldnt watch the cardinals games...  Appreciate the answers.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

Do you even get pre-season games in EI? 

Attached Thumbnails

• MLB EI.PNG

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

No, and DirecTv had no idea why this game was blacked out.

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Nope. EI starts opening day. With sports pack, I haven't been blacked out on RSNs yet for live games. Replays have been blacked out.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thumbs up to MLB for opening up live preseason games for SportsPack subscribers.  Kind of stupid that tape delayed games are blacked out, but given MLB's strict (and many would say ridiculous) policy of MLB restricting the use of MLB content, that is not surprising.

NFL and NHL blackout pre-season games on RSNs.

#9 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

This morning I put on MLBN Network to watch yesterday's Mets vs Marlins game it was blackout. The game wasn't even live.

JACK,

#10 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Blackout rules for MLB Network are still in affect. Games that are on the RSN's via sports pack have been in the clear though.

This morning I put on MLBN Network to watch yesterday's Mets vs Marlins game it was blackout. The game wasn't even live.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#11 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

Question for JACKIEGAGA --- is the Fox Sports Midwest (Ch. 671) feed of today's Mets-Cardinals game blacked out for you in the NYC area?

#12 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I was blacked out yesterday for the Cardinals vs Mets game on MLB Network. I thought this was the year that National Broadcasts like MLB Network & ESPN were supposed to Co-Exist along with your Home RSN. Why Was I Blacked Out on the MLB Channel? The Stupid Archaic Blackout Rules in Baseball need to end. This is getting ridiculous. Also I thought for Pre-Season Games they are supposed to NEVER Be blacked out. So What Gives here?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#13 OFFLINE   Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Does MLB plan to black out OOM replays on RSNs as well? NHL and NBA do not. :)

• tonyd79 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   osu1ne

osu1ne

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanal Winchester Ohio

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I live in Columbus Ohio and Reds, Indians and Pirates all claim territory. Reds and Indians are on Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio. Pirates are not available. I signed up for Sports Pack last year to watch Pirates but they were blacked out. I got the games in previous years and when I asked DIRECTV they had no idea.

#15 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Question for JACKIEGAGA --- is the Fox Sports Midwest (Ch. 671) feed of today's Mets-Cardinals game blacked out for you in the NYC area?

Sorry just saw your post now. I don't know if it was or not.

JACK,

#16 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Blackout rules for MLB Network are still in affect. Games that are on the RSN's via sports pack have been in the clear though.

Even if the game is not Live?

JACK,

#17 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Is there any updates on the Blackouts Situation from the Courts? I thought I had read somewhere that Sports Blackouts may end if the Court Rules it.

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Im just fed up with all of it.  Im not going to subscribe to any of the baseball or sports pak stuff.  I get the Cardinals games (my team) in SD on Comcast (secondary RSN with no extra fee), so Ill just watch them there.  Not worth feeding the pig.

Edited by Davenlr, 03 March 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

Does MLB plan to black out OOM replays on RSNs as well? NHL and NBA do not. :)

They have for several years now. Even if you have EI. But if EI includes MLB.tv, you can watch archived games there.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I am SHOCKED. Today the Phillies vs Braves Game on MLB Network is on for me & I Live in Braves Territory. I am Shocked that this broadcast is open for my area. The Cardinals game the other day for me was blacked out & I do not even live in Cardinals broadcast territory. But The Braves Claim My Territory 38834 Zip Code. So I am not complaining but the Blackout issuesstill confuse me. Maybe they corrected it as I thought I had read National Telecasts will be allowed to Co-Exist with The home broadcast of your teams RSN.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...