Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cord Cutters - The Next Generation; "The Copper Droppers"

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Several articles out there today about AT&T developing a test plan to eliminate their copper network entirely. I can't tell, but it looks like they want to switch everything over to wireless. So far, it seems to be all based on cutting costs of maintaining the wired network, without mention of how or if those cost savings would be passed on to consumers. I also can't tell if they are trying to go to fiber or piggyback onto cable TV systems, only that they want to be IP based. And so far, no mention of rates or capacity and speed.
  • gov likes this
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

. . .  So far, it seems to be all based on cutting costs of maintaining the wired network, without mention of how or if those cost savings would be passed on to consumers . . .

Unintentional humor is the best kind, thanx, you made my day there!

:righton:  :righton:

• sigma1914 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

They already have wireless home phones and plans. I looked into it but it did not allow me to use all 7 of my handsets since they were 2 different sets.

If you could plug it into the wired network ( telephone wires ) in the house and all phones use it, it would save me quite a bit of money per month.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,920 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Verizon tried to go wireless in some Sandy damage areas, but their customers fought 'em and won.

I'm live in Verizon 4LTE area. My chance of getting FiOS now is almost nil.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

My guess is that they want to elimiate copper and go all fiber and wireless. It would be a big boost for ATT Uverse.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

The big boost is they would get rid of the millions of lines of fees they have on bills now and the massive oversight from the puc in California and other states.

It would truly be the end of the phone service becoming a truly separate business rather than government run like it was many years ago.

It is so heavily regulated now they just want out if that. This is the path to that.

#7 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Just wondering would these legacy line be worth anything to somebody?

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,449 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Just wondering would these legacy line be worth anything to somebody?

If they replaced the copper lines with fiber, the copper could be recycled for cash, which would help offset the cost of fiber installation.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,505 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

Unfortunately, the labor to get the copper down or out of the ground is higher than it's salvage value.  Only the idiots stealing it to recycle think they make money because they don't include their cost of stealing it.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Verizon tried to go wireless in some Sandy damage areas, but their customers fought 'em and won.

I'm live in Verizon 4LTE area. My chance of getting FiOS now is almost nil.

No fios here either, with none in sight, according to Verizon.

They want to get rid of land lines because of the maintenence. I doubt cost would go down if they got their wish to go wireless,  it Never does.

Umm, is there enough bandwidth if everyone went in this direction? Seems like something would suffer?

chris

#11 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

ATT bought Alltell and Leap last year..IMHO they want spectrum assets in the US and other assets in Europe..looking for acquisitions and expansion.

-=K=-

#12 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

They are pushing hard where I am. I called in to get the one copper landline repaired. I got lots of pressure to go to a better phone service for free, Fios is in this area. I said no. When Sandy hit and I had no power for over a week. My copper landline worked, The Cellular service was so overloaded You could only get a dial tone after midnight. Her (CSR) response was it has a battery backup. Mine was that will not run for days will it.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

:rant:

Being a Californian in an ATT copper service area, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that should they succeed in dumping land line service, my phone service will be Verizon which is my cell service.

I was getting regular phone calls from ATT offering me high speed internet service. I asked how is that going to work? They told me new fiber lines had just been installed in our area. I asked where as I haven't seen any fiber installation going in within 30 miles of my house. So then they backtracked after checking somehow....

The problem is, of course, that the only remaining universal (meaning to almost every home) access to emergency service and well as to calling family is the land line. Cable does not, by any stretch of the imagination, cover all or nearly all American homes. Cellular service in many, many rural areas is hit and miss. But back when people cared what happened to other people, most of America was wired for phone service.

Naturally, this discussion is prompted by ATT and Verizon both of which are making huge profits. It's a real case of figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure and this idea regarding no wired service in use is simply untrue. The last data available on total lines was published by the FCC in 2006. When we examined the AT&T and Verizon's companies, as listed by the FCC's Statistics of Common Carriers and compared this to what was listed in the AT&T and Verizon annual reports -- mysteriously, 70 percent of all lines disappeared:

2013-07-24-SOCCANNUALRPTOACCESSLINES.png

I recommend that the American people take a look at the correlation between poverty and the plans of ATT and Verizon regarding abandonment of land lines. Check out this web site:

Regardless of what the companies say, using their own data, closing whole areas of the U.S. will impact everyone including small businesses, residential customers, schools, libraries, municipalities, among others. And this won’t be only in rural areas. We found:

• AT&T’s U-Verse is probably 99 percent copper-to-the-home. Out of 76 million locations, AT&T only has 5 million U-Verse TV locations–less than 7 percent.
  • AT&T could be abandoning 57 percent of customers,
  • Verizon also only 5 million households have FiOS TV out of 27 million households in its territories–only 18 percent of households. 82 percent of the wires are still copper.
  • Verizon could be abandoning 47 percent of customers.

I have cell service. I have cable high speed internet. But many, many homes in my area have no access to either and many of the people in those homes have very low incomes. How do they make a 911 call without copper? Our community relies on "robocalls" for emergency notifications - do we just let these folks burn in a wildfire? For in return for having access to all the customers in California, ATT is stuck providing a basic land line service to low-income households as follows:

• Unlimited local calls - The lesser of range $5.47 to $6.84 or 1/2 of the carrier’s residential flat-rate local telephone service.
  • Measured Local Telephone Service (60 calls a month)  - The lesser of range $2.91 to $3.66 or 1/2 of carrier’s residential measured rate for local phone service.

To eliminate this service is to say to some Americans that they simply are not worth worrying about.

The great cell phone and fiber revolutions in the United States have been implemented in such a way that many Americans were told that the U.S. has become a nation that no longer cares about the least among us.

:rant:

Edited by phrelin, 03 March 2014 - 07:13 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

The problem is, of course, that the only remaining universal (meaning to almost every home) access to emergency service and well as to calling family is the land line. Cable does not, by any stretch of the imagination, cover all or nearly all American homes. Cellular service in many, many rural areas is hit and miss. But back when people cared what happened to other people, most of America was wired for phone service.

I think that what the trial and pilots programs are trying to find out --- how to address those issues.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

Several articles out there today about AT&T developing a test plan to eliminate their copper network entirely. I can't tell, but it looks like they want to switch everything over to wireless. So far, it seems to be all based on cutting costs of maintaining the wired network, without mention of how or if those cost savings would be passed on to consumers. I also can't tell if they are trying to go to fiber or piggyback onto cable TV systems, only that they want to be IP based. And so far, no mention of rates or capacity and speed.

For many areas, complete coverage by wireless could mean TV, broadband internet, cell and land line substitutes could be possible where only one or two are available now. It'd be a boon for some. Maintenance costs would go down, but rates to the consumer won't. 

I am under the impression that land line service cannot simply be abandoned but don't know the exact regulations (or even the inexact or loose ones!) —so poor people won't get totally hosed. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

It would not surprise me to see in a decade or 2, any / all "copper landline" POTS service will probably have to be heavily government subsidized if not actually run by them. The "big phone companies" (AT&T /  Verizon) very dearly want OUT of the copper landline business in favor of the mostly unregulated / heavily capped wireless business - check the example of what Verizon "stuck" Fairpoint with in New England (and what else has been happening in the telecom sector in the last couple years). As far as home internet - most households will have 3 choices - cable, highly capped wireless, or none (and don't be too surprised that cable isn't capped either unless some serious laws get passed protecting the consumer in favor of the ISP (fat chance)).

I would also like to foresee a day that internet access starts getting treated as a basic utility (like water and electricity), but you know the ISPs will fight that one tooth and nail...

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

I would also like to foresee a day that internet access starts getting treated as a basic utility (like water and electricity), but you know the ISPs will fight that one tooth and nail...

I see that for both ISPs and wireless providers.

#18 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Since many ISPs are already regulated (Telcos for DSL, cable franchises, etc.), why shouldn't they all be?

#19 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,231 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

They want to get rid of land lines because of the maintenence. I doubt cost would go down if they got their wish to go wireless,  it Never does.

Cost to the provider might go down. Price to the consumer probably not.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#20 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,981 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

They already have wireless home phones and plans. I looked into it but it did not allow me to use all 7 of my handsets since they were 2 different sets.

If you could plug it into the wired network ( telephone wires ) in the house and all phones use it, it would save me quite a bit of money per month.

I have one of the wireless home phones (it is with Consumer Cellular but the device has the ATT logo).  I connected it to my home wiring and it works fine, although I only have one connection (to a cordless base station with 3 phones).  It costs me $10 per month and the minutes are shared with my cell phone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...