Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cord Cutters - The Next Generation; "The Copper Droppers"

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Again - that only works if you get decent cell phone coverage in your house. I don't - Voip is currently and for the concievable future be how I get telephone at home (over cable internet).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Certainly one size doesn't fit all.  I tried VOIP but my Clearwire wireless internet (4 down/0.4 up) wasn't adequate.  Prior to the homephone device, I tried a device which connected my phone line to my cell phone via bluetooth but that didn't work every time.

#23 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

For many areas, complete coverage by wireless could mean TV, broadband internet, cell and land line substitutes could be possible where only one or two are available now. It'd be a boon for some. Maintenance costs would go down, but rates to the consumer won't. 

I am under the impression that land line service cannot simply be abandoned but don't know the exact regulations (or even the inexact or loose ones!) —so poor people won't get totally hosed. 

Could also mean caps. bye, bye netflix and others. If your thinking of cutting the cord this could nix that idea. Guess the tv providers would like that.....

chris

#24 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

I had to get Verizon in to repair a landline. When I called for repair there was lots of pressure to go to FIOS. Then they called every day offering a free conversion to FIOS as the repair. I kept repeating "Not Interested" when they asked why, I did not fall for that either. If I had given a reason I believe they had a set speech as to why I was wrong. TBoneit
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#25 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

I had to get Verizon in to repair a landline. When I called for repair there was lots of pressure to go to FIOS. Then they called every day offering a free conversion to FIOS as the repair. I kept repeating "Not Interested" when they asked why, I did not fall for that either. If I had given a reason I believe they had a set speech as to why I was wrong. TBoneit

I switched to FiOS phone service over three years ago and haven't had any real problems. My cell phone is the backup in case of an outage. Caller ID and call blocking are two services i really like.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#26 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

When the power was during Sandy for 11 days. The Landline kept working. When The power was out for days from a previous storm the landline kept working.

When The power was out because of sandy, The cellphone worked some of the time and did not work some of the time. It seemed that it depended on time time of day whether it was overloaded and unavailable or not. It was reliable after Midnight until sunrise, Wheee.

I think I'll keep the $27 a month landline for now.

TBoneit

• wingrider01 likes this

#27 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

I wouldn't call switching to fiber as giving up the copper as there is still a physical connection.

It's in area where the communication companies are only offering wireless as an upgrade, that I find unsettling.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#28 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

I wouldn't call switching to fiber as giving up the copper as there is still a physical connection.

It's in area where the communication companies are only offering wireless as an upgrade, that I find unsettling.

But we've used wireless almost the last century for AM- FM, TV and other radio communications.   Why is it unsettling to you?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#29 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

The problem is that the battery backup for the FIOS equipment in the home will not keep the system going for days. If I had VOIP or FIOS when the power was out over a week, My phone would have been out too.

TBoneit

#30 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

In an extended power outage, I think Fiber would be the least desirable.

Voice over copper is fairly independent of utility power.  As long as their system has power and/or their batteries hold out and the wiring is intact, you'll have dialtone even if you don't have power.  You may or may not have DSL or other data though, even if you have local power for the modem.

With wireless/cellular, you have to hope the towers have power and there isn't too much traffic clutter.

For fiber and cable, you have to have power for the set-top box/modem to get anything now since most cable systems have gone digital.  You would not have voice if you didn't have a way to power the adapter.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#31 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

SayWhat?, Thank You. In terms of desirability from best to worth for voice, That is more or less how I feel.

Prior to Sandy the person that bought the location (franchise) where I was working switched over to VOIP. It took the cable people several days and visits trying different models and brands of equipment to get Voice, Internet, The Fax machine and the Credit card reader to be able to connect. They were able to get 3 out of 4 working reliably, Getting all four going took a while. In a location where many of the transactions were via credit card and the work bench needed Internet and the Phones were needed to call customers and tell them their equipment was repaired that wasn't good.

Then there were the times the Phone would go out for 1 or 2 days. When we had Verizon landline phone at least everything did not have one point of failure. Then There were the Verizon Lies. We were a little far for DSL and never got the full rated speed. So when Cable became available for our location we jumped on it. Internet speed went from 500K to 20meg so I got the task of calling Verizon to cancel the DSL. I was told why not keep it and see if You want to switch back. Keep it for a year at no cost. Sure enough they kept billing anyway. Since it was verbal no way to contest it either.

Which explains my desire not to go to FIOS fiber or Cable phone service.

Cheers

TBoneit

#32 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Verizon Accused of Forcing Internet Phones on Land-line Users

SOURCE LA TIMES

Edited by Drucifer, 26 March 2014 - 10:43 AM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#33 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

I find this statement rather amazing . . . .

Now Verizon is squabbling with customers and government regulators who want the company to rebuild the network exactly as it was.

. . . .

And many replacement parts for Sandy-flattened infrastructure aren't manufactured anymore - forcing repair crews to scour eBay for hardware.

SOURCE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#34 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

With the change in technology, it makes absolutely no sense to rebuild it as it was.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...