Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• New Multi-Year Deal to Deliver Best in Sports, News and Entertainment to DISH Customers, In and Out of the Home
  • DISH First to Secure Rights to Carry Disney, ABC and ESPN Networks for Over-the-Top, Personal Subscription Service
  • Landmark Deal Adds Disney Junior, Fusion, Longhorn Network, ESPN3, To-Be-Launched SEC ESPN Network and the Full Suite of Authenticated WATCH Services
  • Expanded Video-On-Demand Content Available to DISH Customers at Home, On-The-Go
  • Dismissal of All Legal Proceedings Between the Two Companies

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. & BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) and DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH) today announced a groundbreaking, long-term, wide-ranging distribution agreement that will provide DISH customers with access to Disney's robust line-up of top quality sports, news and entertainment content across televisions, computers, smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles and connected devices.

The renewal agreement supports the companies' mutual goal to deliver the best video content to customers across multiple platforms by strengthening the value of the multichannel video subscription today and by creating the opportunity for DISH to deliver new services in the future.

The extensive and expanded distribution agreement grants DISH rights to stream cleared linear and video-on-demand content from the ABC-owned broadcast stations, ABC Family, Disney Channel, ESPN and ESPN2, as part of an Internet delivered, IP-based multichannel offering.

Additionally, for the first time, DISH customers will be able to access Disney's authenticated live and video-on-demand products, including Watch ESPN, WATCH Disney, WATCH ABC Family and WATCH ABC using Internet devices in the home and on the go.

The agreement will result in dismissal of all pending litigation between the two companies, including disputes over PrimeTime Anytime and AutoHop. As part of the accord, DISH will disable AutoHop functionality for ABC content within the C3 ratings window. The deal also provides a structure for other advertising models as the market evolves, including dynamic ad insertion, advertising on mobile devices and extended advertising measurement periods.

"The creation of this agreement has really been about predicting the future of television with a visionary and forward-leaning partner," said Joseph P. Clayton, DISH Chief Executive Officer and President. "Not only will the exceptional Disney, ABC, ESPN entertainment portfolio continue to delight our customers today, but we have a model from which to deliver exciting new services tomorrow."

Anne Sweeney, Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks, and President, Disney/ABC Television Group, said, "We knew early on we had a responsibility with this deal to not only do what was best for our business, but to also position our industry for future growth. After months of hard work and out-of-the box thinking on both sides, led by Bob Iger and Charlie Ergen, this agreement, one of the most complex and comprehensive we've ever undertaken, achieves just that. Not only were innovative business solutions reached on complicated current issues, we also planned for the evolution of our industry."

Added John Skipper, President, ESPN & Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks: "We worked with DISH to smartly address the future of the multi-screen world on several levels. Together, we are adding value to the traditional video subscription by making great content accessible across platforms and delivering new products, including our WatchESPN authenticated networks, the highly anticipated launch of the SEC ESPN Network, expanded distribution for Longhorn Network, and a reimagined ESPN Classic video-on-demand channel. At the same time, we are creating opportunities to add new subscribers and introducing the value of a multichannel subscription to a small subset of broadband-only consumers."

"This agreement allows us to bring more innovation to the customer experience, including new marketing, packaging and delivery options," said Dave Shull, DISH Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer. "This paves the way for more customer choice and control over the viewing experience."

DISH will make available Disney Junior, Fusion, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, as well as Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC ESPN Network upon its launch. In addition, DISH, ESPN and ESPN Deportes customers will have access to the live and video-on-demand channel ESPN3.

As part of the agreement, DISH will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition. ESPN Classic will be reintroduced as a video-on-demand channel.

The extensive and expanded rights package gives DISH customers access to video-on-demand content at home, on computers and on-the-go through the DISH Anywhere app for tablets and smartphones, including:

• ABC On Demand, a fast forward-disabled service that features a selection of top-rated primetime entertainment programming, including episodes of such popular current ABC shows as "Scandal," "Castle," "Grey's Anatomy," "Once Upon A Time" and "Revenge."
  • ABC Family On Demand, which features a variety of top-rated full episodes, refreshed monthly, from such popular millennial favorites as "The Fosters," "Switched at Birth," "Baby Daddy" and "Melissa & Joey."
  • Disney-branded On Demand offerings, including Disney Channel On Demand, Disney Junior On Demand, and Disney XD On Demand. Refreshed each month, the Disney Channel On Demand offering will include episodes from such series as "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse," "Sofia the First" and "Jake and the Never Land Pirates" for preschoolers, as well as variety of episodes from "A.N.T. Farm," "Liv and Maddie," "Jessie" and other popular series for older kids. Select episodes featured on Disney Channel On Demand will be available in innovative new offerings, such as playlists and monthly programming blocks, in addition to a number of episodes available in multiple languages. A variety of Disney Channel Original Movies will also be available. Disney XD On Demand features a selection of episodes from such series as the Emmy Award-winning animated hit "Phineas and Ferb," "Pair of Kings" and "Kickin' It."
  • Expanded On Demand content from ESPN, including content from ESPN Deportes and ESPN's award-winning original content from ESPN Films.

The companies also renewed carriage agreement for ABC's eight owned local stations, including WABC-TV in New York City, KABC-TV in Los Angeles, WLS-TV in Chicago, WPVI-TV in Philadelphia, KGO-TV in San Francisco, WTVD-TV in Raleigh-Durham, KTRK-TV in Houston, and KFSN-TV in Fresno.

About DISH

DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.057 million satellite TV customers, as of Dec. 31, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value. Subscribers enjoy a high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

About The Walt Disney Company

The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international entertainment and media enterprise with five business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive. Disney is a Dow 30 company and had annual revenues of $45 billion in its Fiscal Year 2013.

• steff3 likes this

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

Curiously...  DisneyXD is not mentioned... and that is the other Disney HD feed we lost a few years ago.  Hopefully this was just an omission from the press release.

edit: Also... no word on when those HD feeds or already existing channels or the WatchESPN access will happen.  They say "when launched" for those new channel carriage agreements... but no official timeline for the stuff that already exists.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

"We knew early on we had a responsibility with this deal to not only do what was best for our business, but to also position our industry for future growth.

Yeah, thanks for thinking about US, the people that pay your bills.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

what about disneyXD and disney junior in HD

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

what about disneyXD and disney junior in HD

See above - and be patient!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

Three days? Maybe Dish will take autohop all the way through Disney's offerings now...

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Three days? Maybe Dish will take autohop all the way through Disney's offerings now...

I'll just wait until Day 4 ... or not watch ABC content. Everyone's taste is personal, but looking through the PTAT shows recorded from ABC on my Hopper "Last Man Standing" is the only one I see of interest (although I recognize other popular shows in the list). NASCAR is the only thing I watch regularly on ABC/ESPN - and this is the mouse's last year. (AutoHop doesn't work on sports anyways.)

The "we want the same deal" agreements are likely ... and if it will get the other three major networks off of DISH's back perhaps a three day no hop will become "normal". I guess we'll just go back to using our remotes the old fashioned way (or wait to Day 4).

ESPN Classic is occasionally used for sports overflows ... so seeing it convert to an "on demand only" channel removes a place where programs can start while something else runs over. Perhaps ESPN/DISH will need to use an alt channel for those occasions.

At least we're not losing channels and having other carriers laugh at DISH. Now it is their turn to get a deal like the one DISH has done.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

The kicker is STILL the tie between a PayTV subscription somewhere and web streaming.  That has to end.  There is no reason at all someone without PayTV should not be able to view those shows on the web.  Disney is still tied to old school thought.

#9 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

The kicker is STILL the tie between a PayTV subscription somewhere and web streaming.  That has to end.  There is no reason at all someone without PayTV should not be able to view those shows on the web.  Disney is still tied to old school thought.

Sure there is a reason, billions of reasons. 

• david_jr likes this
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

The kicker is STILL the tie between a PayTV subscription somewhere and web streaming. That has to end. There is no reason at all someone without PayTV should not be able to view those shows on the web. Disney is still tied to old school thought.

Really? That's the only way id ever consider offering web content. It's the only way they will survive unless they decide to allow all their stations to be sold a la cart and that's not happening anytime soon.

If try allow people to stream all their shows without a provider they will lose billions in revenue and not be able to afford all the sports contracts and to keep so many channels. It's just not going to happen any time soon not should it really.

I'm much more for more packages with smaller numbers of channels as a way to heads a little towards a la cart without going all the way there.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

At least one thing I always suspected appears to have been confirmed... that being that Dish really wanted to use AutoHop as a negotiation ploy moreso than being a feature for the customers...  I don't mind this, it is smart business... but I always ignored the "we are doing it because viewers have the right" angle to be smoke and mirrors... I always suspected they really wanted to use it as a wedge in contract negotiations with channels.

It sounds like "soon" Dish customers will be getting a lot of cool stuff and channels.  Here's hoping the existing channels show up sooner rather than later!

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

At least one thing I always suspected appears to have been confirmed... that being that Dish really wanted to use AutoHop as a negotiation ploy moreso than being a feature for the customers...  I don't mind this, it is smart business... but I always ignored the "we are doing it because viewers have the right" angle to be smoke and mirrors... I always suspected they really wanted to use it as a wedge in contract negotiations with channels.

It certainly has turned into something they are willing to give up ... for a price. Hopefully if they trade away AutoHop to the other networks the customers will get something worth losing AutoHop for.

It sounds like "soon" Dish customers will be getting a lot of cool stuff and channels.  Here's hoping the existing channels show up sooner rather than later!

The cool stuff is cool ... a lot of streaming content tied to DISH accounts. The four announced HD channels are in AT120 so nearly every customer gets the channel (and the online content). And two new RSNs isn't bad for the people who want them. It seems like a good deal.

#13 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Great news! Now, will Disney show up on the list of providers with Roku? Right now only cable companies are listed. Direct isn't either. I tried to setup Disney on the Roku using my sub to Charter Cable that I use for high speed and phone. I got it, but I cannot view much. It denies me access to most programs. It will be nice to have everything back in HD. Will the 211k work for "On Demand" services? There are tons of channels on the Roku that has "On Demand".

#14 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

Sure there is a reason, billions of reasons. 

I'm glad you wrote that. There are some people who act like every provider of cable-television programming just sees a channels lineup … happen.

#15 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

DISH will make available Disney Junior, Fusion, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, as well as Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC ESPN Network upon its launch. In addition, DISH, ESPN and ESPN Deportes customers will have access to the live and video-on-demand channel ESPN3.

^ This part is great. It should light a fire under the collective a**es of the DirecTV people to deliver "Fusion, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, as well as Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC ESPN Network." (That's not to say when. But that, from the position of remaining a competitive business, it must … happen from DirecTV. )

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:32 AM

Really? That's the only way id ever consider offering web content. It's the only way they will survive unless they decide to allow all their stations to be sold a la cart and that's not happening anytime soon.

If try allow people to stream all their shows without a provider they will lose billions in revenue and not be able to afford all the sports contracts and to keep so many channels. It's just not going to happen any time soon not should it really.

Equal Access would increase their customer base.  More people would be able to subscribe.  People that don't have access to, or can't afford a full PayTV service.

#17 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:54 AM

I am most excited about ESPN3.  This dramatically raises the value of my AT120 package for me.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:46 AM

Equal Access would increase their customer base.  More people would be able to subscribe.  People that don't have access to, or can't afford a full PayTV service.

They would be giving up people who can afford a full PayTV service and choose not to. Don't forget that these are multi-billion dollar companies. They know how to maximize their profit. If there was more money in allowing people to drop PayTV carriers and buy direct they would be doing it. Only the small players who are scrounging for every dollar they can get would undercut their big PayTV contracts.

#19 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

Great deal for DISH.  I hope Directv doesn't take too long to get a similar deal.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

When does it start?

• fwampler likes this

Enjoying AT 250 HBO,