Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Awesome.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

FYI... I checked, and all the apps are functioning as described in the press release.  I went ahead and downloaded the Disney Jr app even though that one doesn't work yet.  I'm guessing we will not get access to that app until the channel itself launches on Dish.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#183 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

I did the same thing tonight. Disney and Disney XD work fine now on the Roku LT. Thanks Dish & Disney!

#184 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:16 AM

Making 1 trip a week to the library would add up to over $600/year in direct and indirect driving costs. (I zeroed out several of their costs and reduced others - their default estimate was higher.)

So, I'm all for libraries but using them routinely is not necessarily a big money saver (let alone a time saver) for many people. They probably work well if you're in a city and can walk to them.

For me, libraries are a $0 extra cost because I take my children there for programming at least once a week.  So I can pick up movies while they're listening to story time, doing LEGO or playing chess.  I've estimated that I take out somewhere between $10,000-$20,000 a year in materials between my children and myself.  Most of that is not video material.

I drive within 2 blocks of the library on a very frequent basis, so I can combine errands which reduces the cost of dropping in to pick up a reserved item.

Your statement about a single $3 show per day being more expensive than Dish gets right to the point.  That's what Amazon or iTunes charges now for a single HD show.  But it is commercial free.  Commercials really do pay the bills, much as viewers don't like them.  I don't see the single episode price dropping significantly.  What makes it work is that if you only have 1-2 shows that you must have that aren't on broadcast, it's cheaper to pay for those episodes than Dish service.  It also reinforces the point Stewart keeps hammering (which I don't disagree with, by the way) that the end of cable/satellite service would not necessarily save viewers money.  Viewing habits would have to change, as well.

#185 OFFLINE   jle1639

jle1639

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • Locationdothan al

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

It time for direc get off their butt and adding some more hd channesl and we want the same as dish.

#186 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Your statement about a single $3 show per day being more expensive than Dish gets right to the point. That's what Amazon or iTunes charges now for a single HD show. But it is commercial free. Commercials really do pay the bills, much as viewers don't like them. I don't see the single episode price dropping significantly. What makes it work is that if you only have 1-2 shows that you must have that aren't on broadcast, it's cheaper to pay for those episodes than Dish service.

I just don't get this at all. I just checked a couple of shows on Amazon and yes indeed they sell for $2.99 per episode. But then again, the same show was available for less than half that on Blu-ray. And a quick check of the used Blu-Ray prices on Amazon seems to indicate that you can watch it on Blu-Ray for maybe 20-30 cents per episode if you only want to watch them once or twice and then resell them. Or you could give them to a friend or donate them to your library. I just don't understand the $3 download thing. Even 2 shows ends up being half the Dish bill (not including the internet fees) for just 2 shows.

I can understand how the ~ $1.40/episode and keep forever or $0.30/episode and keep for awhile model of Blu-Rays are reasonable, but I just don't understand $3/episode.

#187 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Where do I get the APPS for Disney et all?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#188 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

When was the last time you went to the movie theater and halfway through your feature, they broke to commercial?

It's simply a matter of what you're willing to pay to not put up with commercials.  And if enough people will pay to avoid them, it becomes cost-effective to charge $2.99/episode for commercial-free viewing.

A movie at the movie theater is a pay per view and the commercials are at the beginning, not in the middle.

#189 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

With the Roku, I went to the Channels store and added Disney and Disney XD. Went to the channel, the info on the screen walks you through what you need to do. To register you use a computer and go to the Disney site. It took me all of 5 minutes. It is nice to have both channels now on the Roku. By the way, I did the same from ESPN. Too bad the Roku doesn't have ABC and ABC Family as far I can tell. I do have NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX on there.

#190 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

With the Roku, I went to the Channels store and added Disney and Disney XD. Went to the channel, the info on the screen walks you through what you need to do. To register you use a computer and go to the Disney site. It took me all of 5 minutes. It is nice to have both channels now on the Roku. By the way, I did the same from ESPN. Too bad the Roku doesn't have ABC and ABC Family as far I can tell. I do have NBC, CBS, PBS, and FOX on there.

Perhaps you can explain the benefit of a Roku or similar device when you already have a Dish subscription and hardware. I can see the value when Dish releases their Internet only option but in the meantime, wouldn't it make more sense just to us the Dish hardware?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#191 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Not if it's a secondary tv that's hardly used and he doesn't want to spend the money on a box there.

#192 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,119 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Not if it's a secondary tv that's hardly used and he doesn't want to spend the money on a box there.

Plus the Watch apps are a lot more than just live streams of the channels you get on TV. ESPN3 has exclusive games that don't air on regular TV, Watch Disney Channel and Disney XD frequently have new episodes available on demand before they air on TV.

#193 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Disney Jr uplinked ... NOT AVAILABLE ... Channel 168.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#194 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:33 PM

The Roku is an amazing box. I spend enough with Dish, so I watch what I get for free with the Roku. The Roku LT was $50 online from Amazon. I have 312 different channel services in the menu and most have many sub channels. Probably all together well over 1, 000 channels I would guess. There is everything from International programming like France 24, RT and RT Documentry, BBC World, CNN International, and tons more. There are dozens of movie channels, as well as TV services that run old shows and movies. I am a sci fi fan from the 50s & 60s and I have seen many old flicks I have not seen before. There are dozens of PI channels, universary channels, streaming news channels nationwide. Lot of sports too, for those who enjoy that. A really fun box. Netflix, Hulu, WB Streaming, etc are there. We get Epix with Dish, well Epix is on Roku too. One nice thing having the Roku box, it is all available on demand. I can watch the programming when I want to. I only have the Dish 211K receiver that On Demand is not available.  Oh yes, some channels like Disney, HBO, ESPN, Epix, you have to sub to the channel on Cable or Dish to get the On Demand feature, but most you just add. You can easily do a Google search of "Roku". Go on their site and check out the channel store. It is amazing what is there and how much materal is added weekly. The Roku 3 that is HDMI only (HD) also has You Tube. The other boxes do not as yet. There are also private channels you can search for. Lots of fun. With Dish, it is a real nice addition.

#195 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

By the by...  I also checked out authorizing my Apple TV last night to the Disney/ESPN services.

As with the iOS apps, all worked fine except for Disney Jr of course.

What was weird was during the "we will now connect to your provider to authenticate" phase... I was never asked for my login...  so the authentication was different on AppleTV than it was on the iOS apps.  Strange.

#196 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

“Frozen” continues to sizzle for Walt Disney Co. (DIS:US), where quarterly profit rose 27 percent as kids snapped up DVDs and merchandise tied to the animated mega-hit.

Disney, the world’s largest entertainment company, reported second-quarter net income of $1.92 billion, or $1.08 a share, beating the 95-cent average (DIS:US) of 25 analysts’ estimates. Sales grew to $11.6 billion, the company said today in a statement (DIS:US), exceeding projections of $11.2 billion.

http://www.businessw...me-video-charts

Gives ya' a nice warm fuzzy about paying higher rates doesn't it?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#197 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

http://www.businessw...me-video-charts

Gives ya' a nice warm fuzzy about paying higher rates doesn't it?

Not sure what one has to do with another.

If you have a good year and earn more money than last year... do you offer to give money back to your employer because you feel that you "made enough" already?

#198 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:46 AM

Update, You Tube is now available on other Roku units including the LT.

#199 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

Not to defend Di$ney, but they also have to hedge against the next flop.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...