Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

Analysts believe that it's only a matter of time before the pay-TV industry has to offer an Internet-only option, and the Dish-Disney deal is the clearest sign yet that the industry may reluctantly play along. Satellite competitor DIRECTV has also suggested it might offer a lower-priced Net service with basic channels and, in a statement to USA TODAY, says it is working on its own similar agreement with Disney.

http://www.usatoday....ing-tv/6026927/

DISH already delivers international channels via IPTV. Why shouldn't the PayTV providers expand beyond their traditional cables and satellites? DISH also holds assignments for terrestrial broadcast and data services.

At the end of the day they deliver content from the content providers to the customers. All part of packaged PayTV. The new school way of thinking.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

ESPNClassic most of the time has repeats of old games.  That's good and all, but since they are already aired games... I think you can make a case for the content being On Demand content being more valuable than a linear channel anyway.

IF I want to watch a classic, even in instant-classic, game... I'd much rather be able to pick it from a list and watch whenever I want than to wait and hope it comes on the ESPNClassic schedule in the EPG.

I know I would probably partake of On Demand content for ESPNClassic more often than I ever tune to the channel.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

People were estimating the previous ESPN package to be in the $5/sub range even without Disney or ABC.

The new package with the additions including ABC and Disney is estimated where ...  $10/sub range?  Higher?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

People were estimating the previous ESPN package to be in the $5/sub range even without Disney or ABC.

The new package with the additions including ABC and Disney is estimated where ...  $10/sub range?  Higher?

That is pretty much the definition of an apples vs oranges comparison.
How about comparing everything vs everything? Or just ESPN vs just ESPN?

You're making it sound like the price of ESPN doubled when ESPN plus all the existing ABC content was already over $5 per month.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

When does it start?

When does it end?  (Sorry, Paul, I couldn't resist :)

Every time I hear of one of these "wonderful" deals, it makes me sick because I know that I am going to end up paying through the nose for something that I don't use.  I don't watch any of the ABC/Disney/ESPN channels (except occasionally I can receive WPVI OTA and I watch their 70s style Action News - it's the best thing that ABC does - I'll hum the theme for days afterwards).

I wouldn't mind if the programming was better, but it seems to be going downhill fast.  I'm getting closer and closer to cutting the cord; if it wasn't for Al Jazeera America, I think I might have already.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#46 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

ESPN Classic used to be in AT 250, but a couple years ago Dish moved it to the Sports Pak. I wonder if ESPN Classic will be back in AT250 then?

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,552 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

OK, I'm going to be the Grumpy Gus about this because I think it is a major step backwards imposed by one of the largest and most profitable international entertainment conglomerates in the world.

:rant:

To be clear, in case you misunderstood the press release, you will be able to watch the DVRed ABC show immediately.. it's just the AutoHop commercial skipping that will be delayed by 3 days.  You can watch the DVRed content the night it is recorded and skip the commercials manually just like on any other channel.

So what you and the press are telling me is that you've received clarifying information indicating that this....

DISH will disable AutoHop functionality for ABC content within the C3 ratings window.

...means that the Disney folks settled for viewers pushing a skip button for the first three days and are further ok with auto skipping after that. So we know exactly what they did to all future viewers.

I guess it lets the other networks know that Dish was willing to give up the only significant benefit of having a Hopper over, say, having a DVR that is capable of simultaneously recording any five programs at once at any time (like the DirecTV Genie) or four programs at once at any time plus an incredible on-demand streaming selection (like the Xfinity X1 Platform)?

I agree with this assessment....

Dish could not risk a blackout of ESPN, which is by many measurements the most valuable channel to American TV subscribers. So by agreeing to disable AutoHop, the distributor is putting its corporate interests -- and Disney's interests -- ahead of ad-skipping innovation.

And I don't get the enthusiasm for what's described in this AP article:

...The agreement opens the way for the satellite TV service to live-stream Disney-owned channels like ESPN and ABC over the Internet to customers' smartphones, tablets, video game consoles and other devices.

The goal is to attract so-called cord-cutters who have become disenchanted with large channel packages and rising monthly bills for cable or satellite service.

Charlie Ergen, Dish Network Corp. chairman, hinted at the underpinnings of the deal last month, when he admitted that the traditional pay-TV business model — charging customers $80 or $100 a month for hundreds of channels, many of which they never watch — is not appealing to younger people.

Unless someone knows something I don't, paying for the ability to "live-stream Disney-owned channels" such as ABC and ESPN over the internet means watching commercials. What I'm getting from all this is that Charlie caved to the pressure to force viewers to watch commercials along with paying the channels for the right to watch content with commercials.

You see the writer of the AP article wrote this omitting what I'm inserting in bold italic:

With a string of recent deals, cable and satellite providers are beginning to acknowledge a brutal truth that companies like Hulu and Netflix have known all along: Many TV viewers, especially young ones, want shows and movies on their own terms — wherever, whenever and on whatever devices they choose without commercial interruptions.

I'm an old guy not some young guy up on the latest fads. I know that my best alternative to paying Dish or DirecTV or Xfinity $100+ a month is to really "cut the cord" (which really isn't cutting the cord) and use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and iTunes in some combination of subscriptions and purchases at substantially less annual cost than having cable or satellite TV to view a lot of TV without commercials and, at least for the moment, a few days after they air stream for free shows from many channels if I'm willing to watch commercials.

Read this article published today TV Streaming Head-to-Head: Netflix vs Hulu vs Amazon Prime. Then think about how much subscribing to all three would cost compared to what you pay Dish.

I consider this acquiescence by Charlie as a clear indication that it is impossible to mount any real challenge to the five big TV conglomerates.

Now I must return to my spreadsheets to determine what is the most economical method of acquiring access to all the programming I want to see and, Charlie, so far you're not scoring well.

:rant:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

This is what Stewart was replying to:

I don't want to use a system that won't allow me to watch a show until the fourth day after it aired.

To be clear, in case you misunderstood the press release, you will be able to watch the DVRed ABC show immediately.. it's just the AutoHop commercial skipping that will be delayed by 3 days. You can watch the DVRed content the night it is recorded and skip the commercials manually just like on any other channel.

The press release said:

DISH will disable AutoHop functionality for ABC content within the C3 ratings window.

Your assumption in your earlier post that one could not record and immediately watch ABC content was incorrect. It is only the AutoHop (commercial skipping) that will not be available within C3. The multi-channel record feature PrimeTime AnyTime remains intact.

...means that the Disney folks settled for viewers pushing a skip button for the first three days and are further ok with auto skipping after that. So we know exactly what they did to all future viewers.

ABC will accept AutoHop after the C3 period ... apparently the value of those commercials has lessened after C3 - so it is a compromise. That is, until DISH and ABC work out a way to insert current ads in replayed ABC content. (That thought is also buried in the press release.)

What I'm getting from all this is that Charlie caved to the pressure to force viewers to watch commercials along with paying the channels for the right to watch content with commercials.

I still don't see where one is forced to watch ABC/ESPN/Disney commercials on the DVR. The skip buttons will still work and AutoHop will work on ABC after C3.

Now I must return to my spreadsheets to determine what is the most economical method of acquiring access to all the programming I want to see and, Charlie, so far you're not scoring well.

I hope that search turns out well for you ... for me there is a lot of content that simply is not available streamed at a reasonable price. Perhaps the younger generation has different tastes or is more patient with streamed media. If I went streamed I'd probably end up paying more for Internet bandwidth and losing any potential savings on a PayTV package. And I'd probably lose content.

#49 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Forcing people to subscribe to cable/satellite to be able to watch programs on the web without use of cable or satellite will ultimately cost them viewership.  Maybe not this year or next, but in the not too distant future.  This sounds like nothing but an effort by the cable/satellite companies to try and keep people from going IP only.  It's an attempt to protect the company at the expense of the public.

And it will likely hurt both the carriers and the content providers.

#50 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

The bottom line is that customers who want to watch only the stations they really want (instead of a package of networks) and want to watch online instead of through a cable are becoming more important to video companies and that should ultimate be good for consumers.

http://www.forbes.co...utting-options/

#51 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,714 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:47 AM

Charlie Ergen, Dish Network Corp. chairman, hinted at the underpinnings of the deal last month, when he admitted that the traditional pay-TV business model — charging customers $80 or $100 a month for hundreds of channels, many of which they never watch — is not appealing to younger people.

“We're losing a whole generation of individuals who aren't going to buy into that model,” he told analysts. “Obviously you'd like to kind of have your cake and eat it too, and make sure that you come up with products that can engage that new generation.”

The new service will bypass Dish's 14 million-customer satellite system and offer content via the Internet in much the same way that Netflix delivers video.

No start date has been announced. Dish will probably have to cut similar deals with other programmers to make such a service attractive.

Dish would not say how much the service might cost, except that it would probably be cheaper than current packages.

http://triblive.com/...sh-service-deal

If I'm reading that right, it almost looks like Dish may be offering a separate service.  Maybe a web-based Dish package where you won't need a dish and DVR box?

#52 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

I could be wrong... but these two press releases today sure make it sound like Longhorn Network and SEC Network will be in AT120+ and above for everyone... as opposed to being in MultiSport like Pac12, and BigTen.

That's the way I read it too, however if I'm remembering correctly when Big Ten and Pac12 first came out they also were available nationwide for a while before going to their current arrangement of being available as an RSN in their regions and available in the Multi-Sport for everyone else.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#53 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

ABC will accept AutoHop after the C3 period ... apparently the value of those commercials has lessened after C3 - so it is a compromise. That is, until DISH and ABC work out a way to insert current ads in replayed ABC content. (That thought is also buried in the press release.)

I still don't see where one is forced to watch ABC/ESPN/Disney commercials on the DVR. The skip buttons will still work and AutoHop will work on ABC after C3.

Agreed.  Keep in mind that DISH is being sued by all 4 networks over auto-hop.  For once Charlie chose to compromise instead of fight all the way to the supreme court.  It really is a win-win even though it may seem not.  Di$ney DROPS its litigation and DISH gets to keep autohop after the C3 window on ABC.  Autohop is great.  Most who use it LOVE it.  The best thing about autohop is that you only have to enable PTAT for one channel on one day and ALL primetime networks shows, EVEN OTA, get autohopped.  Having to give up AH for a 3 day window is better than having to give it up if some judge (lawyer who is a freind of a highly placed public official) decides against it, or so Charlie seemed to think or he wouldn't have agreed to the window.  I also agree that you may see that in future agreements as well due to precedent. 

Phrelin, Don't give up on the Hopper over this deal, it is a wonderful piece of equipment most of the time.

#54 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Agreed.  Keep in mind that DISH is being sued by all 4 networks over auto-hop.  For once Charlie chose to compromise instead of fight all the way to the supreme court.  It really is a win-win even though it may seem not.  Di$ney DROPS its litigation and DISH gets to keep autohop after the C3 window on ABC.  Autohop is great.  Most who use it LOVE it.  The best thing about autohop is that you only have to enable PTAT for one channel on one day and ALL primetime networks shows, EVEN OTA, get autohopped.  Having to give up AH for a 3 day window is better than having to give it up if some judge (lawyer who is a freind of a highly placed public official) decides against it, or so Charlie seemed to think or he wouldn't have agreed to the window.  I also agree that you may see that in future agreements as well due to precedent. 

Phrelin, Don't give up on the Hopper over this deal, it is a wonderful piece of equipment most of the time.

Meh I don't get what the big deal is over auto-hop anyway. I use it on occasion but it doesn't improve my life in any significant way, I mean if I don't use it I push my skip button a few times, whoop de frickin doo. I remember thinking that when I saw the lawsuit over it that we live in a world where we're all puppets for lawyers, just one more stupid lawsuit that the only good it does it fatten lawyers bank accounts at the expense of the rest of us. Anyway yes I do love my Hopper too most the time, other than the odd on again off again glitch it seems to have picked up recently with the OTA signal occasionally just going "black", I've had to be careful with that otherwise I miss recordings.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#55 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

All I know is that when I went to ESPN3 this morning, it didn't list Dish Network as one of the possible providers to have access to the service.

Granted, the French Open is still over a month away, so I can afford to be patient.

#56 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

^ This part is great. It should light a fire under the collective a**es of the DirecTV people to deliver "Fusion, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN Buzzer Beater, as well as Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC ESPN Network." (That's not to say when. But that, from the position of remaining a competitive business, it must … happen from DirecTV. )

What is "Fusion?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#57 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

What is "Fusion?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fusion+network+

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#58 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

I rarely watch shows within a week of when they aired.  It's often weeks, months or years later.  I have several first run episodes on my HTPC from early last year I haven't watched yet.

I never watch amateur hour game shows.

Me either!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#59 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

When does it end?  (Sorry, Paul, I couldn't resist :)

Every time I hear of one of these "wonderful" deals, it makes me sick because I know that I am going to end up paying through the nose for something that I don't use.  I don't watch any of the ABC/Disney/ESPN channels (except occasionally I can receive WPVI OTA and I watch their 70s style Action News - it's the best thing that ABC does - I'll hum the theme for days afterwards).

I wouldn't mind if the programming was better, but it seems to be going downhill fast.  I'm getting closer and closer to cutting the cord; if it wasn't for Al Jazeera America, I think I might have already.

I don't watch ABC, ESPN et all. But I'm waiting for  ABC Family Channel. :)

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,251 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Forcing people to subscribe to cable/satellite to be able to watch programs on the web without use of cable or satellite will ultimately cost them viewership. Maybe not this year or next, but in the not too distant future. This sounds like nothing but an effort by the cable/satellite companies to try and keep people from going IP only. It's an attempt to protect the company at the expense of the public.

And it will likely hurt both the carriers and the content providers.

You seem to be missing the point if they don't do that they would lose all their customers in the cable and sat fields and raise prices on ip delivery that equalled what they get today.

Hollywood will never decrease the amount I money they get. Not going to happen.

Ip deliver will never be cheaper than cable or sat for a full package. The only reason it might be for a very few today is because so few use it today and Hollywood is taking its time to concern themselves with it but they are never going to just let it be.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...