Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

One clue to look for, perhaps...  Anyone with a Hopper... check your ABC recordings and see when they stop putting the AutoHop on them after the first night.  Since this contract calls for a 3rd day delay... I would assume that would be one of the easier things to implement in this new contract... and Dish might have to prove they are sticking to that before they get the new uplinks for channels.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

My HWS received an overnight update last night.  There wasn't much detail on the splash screen and I was too busy trying to make it to work on time that I didn't investigate much.  But perhaps the update is related to the ABC 3-day issue.

#83 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

And (of course) while Disney is raking in more money, they're cutting 700 employees.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#84 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wow, this sure generated a flurry of posts!

#85 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,323 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

The Internet of today is a different animal, in part because there was nothing comparable to it 15 years ago, let alone 50.  It is a phenomenal source of information.  It is amazing what you can learn on it.  But it is also a phenomenal time-waster.  Am I getting smarter reading these forums?  Probably not.  Am I really informing and educating others by writing this post?  Again, most likely the answer is no.  I'd be better served in bettering my mind by picking up a Charles Dickens book and studying what made it so appealing that it is still in print over 100 years after the author's death.

The Internet does not make us smarter.  It makes it easier to access information.  But it is not necessary for education.  A reading of Neil Postman's "Technopoly" might be in order.  And while you're at it, "Amusing Ourselves to Death" is a classic that should be required reading for anyone who owns or lives in a home with a television.  For too long, we've bought into the promise that new technologies were going to deliver smarter, better educated and informed citizens.  And for too long, we've ignored the good things those technologies have taken away.

I think I'm learning by reading posts such as yours. So I would say you are informing me. But yes, I have ignored many of the good things lost to me because of diversions offered by technology. I didn't miss out on Neil Postman's thoughtful musings which were 20th Century and am always aware of his observation "the tie between information and action has been severed."

But I never agreed with his "sky is falling" view of the information age:

"Information is now a commodity that can be bought and sold, or used as a form of entertainment, or worn like a garment to enhance one's status. It comes indiscriminately, directed at no one in particular, disconnected from usefulness; we are glutted with information, drowning in information, have no control over it, don't know what to do with it."

I think to some extent beginning with the printing of books somebody was wringing their hands over the misuse of information. Everything he said was true prior to the 20th Century though perhaps ordinary people were not so glutted with and drowning in information. But even then, most people didn't know what to do with most of the information. They certainly didn't have the ability to search and sift through the information that we do, though effective use of that requires distinguishing bogus sources from potentially reliable sources and knowing when something contributes to a less distorted personal big picture view of the world.

To bring it back to the subject at hand, my gut tells me that this Dish and Disney agreement is bad for most Americans. In order to keep package costs affordable, something is going to have to give and I have a feeling in the end we'll have, to use a paraphrase of Postman's musings, television that confounds discourse about serious issues because of the use of superficial images and it will be continue to become less about ideas and thoughts and more about entertainment. In other words, this agreement means we'll be funding ESPN and the Disney Channel because the Disney suits have way to much clout in our society.

I guess I'm going to have to be contented with the realization that Disney subsidiaries distributed both "Frozen" and "The Wind Rises" and that the latter won "Audience Favorite" at the Mill Valley Film Festival and "Best Animated Feature" from the Online Film Critics Society. I can only hope my money helped "The Wind Rises" be seen by thoughtful young people.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#86 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

This is just another event in the demise of broadcast TV.  What is inevitable is the "killer app" that will mean the vast majority of content consumers will get their content from the internet.
Some of us may remember that Lotus 123 was the killer app for the PC.

#87 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

This is just another event in the demise of broadcast TV.  What is inevitable is the "killer app" that will mean the vast majority of content consumers will get their content from the internet.
Some of us may remember that Lotus 123 was the killer app for the PC.

Others will say "What's Lotus 123" as that company and its software have long since ceased to be...

There are too many problems, not the least of which being poor infrastructure, bandwidth/speed issues, and escalating costs that will prevent IPTV from being "the main thing" for years to come.  There are too many roadblocks right now to internet-delivered content squeezing out the satellite and cable world.

Yes, there is some unique internet-created/distributed content... and that finds an audience and is doing well...  but that is still not the majority of TV content being watched by a long shot.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#88 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

There are too many problems, not the least of which being poor infrastructure, bandwidth/speed issues, and escalating costs that will prevent IPTV from being "the main thing" for years to come.  There are too many roadblocks right now to internet-delivered content squeezing out the satellite and cable world.

Similar discussion on several threads it seems, but I'm hoping EchoStar/Dish/Excede are working on dealing with that problem with the "H" Band.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#89 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

So when is dish going to be launching the hd channels for espnnews,ABC family, etc.... in HD ?

#90 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

No one knows an exact date yet, just that they will launch this spring, which could mean anytime between March 20th and June 21st if they mean the actual season or anytime between now and July if they're being general. It's also possible that they won't give out an exact date in advanced so the first sign of it will be when they show up in the uplink report.

#91 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,361 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Watch the skies ...I do - and will report what I see as soon as I can. :)

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#92 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Others will say "What's Lotus 123" as that company and its software have long since ceased to be...

Yes, there is some unique internet-created/distributed content... and that finds an audience and is doing well...  but that is still not the majority of TV content being watched by a long shot.

You know Walt Disney has to be rolling in his grave.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#93 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

One clue to look for, perhaps...  Anyone with a Hopper... check your ABC recordings and see when they stop putting the AutoHop on them after the first night.  Since this contract calls for a 3rd day delay... I would assume that would be one of the easier things to implement in this new contract... and Dish might have to prove they are sticking to that before they get the new uplinks for channels.

There is no 3 day delay on anything this week, so I guess that isn't what Disney is asking for

#94 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,361 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

No effective date has been announced. We all should be patient. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#95 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hey, I use Lotus 123 every day.  Still a 'killer app' for me. :hurah:

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#96 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

I used Visicalc long before Lotus 123 and Excel came along.

#97 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,323 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

I used Visicalc long before Lotus 123 and Excel came along.

Funny you mentioned Visicalc. I mentioned it in a post yesterday:

... And though it doesn't justify Prop 13, I have to acknowledge it wasn't so easy to calculate what was going to happen then, as VisiCalc didn't hit the market until 1979 and my wife and I didn't discover it until 1980. Back then we could do the math, but not everyone could. Now I couldn't do the math without a spreadsheet.  wink.gif

VisiCalc was a real eye opener to the potential of the personal computer in 1980. VisiCalc running on our Tandy Model II's, it could do about 85% of what I do with Excel today. 1-2-3 was introduced in 1983, the same year we bought a Tandy 2000 running MS-DOS (I really did not want to buy an IBM computer). In the late 1980's we locked into 1-2-3, Word Perfect, and dBASE on Compaq's.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#98 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

In the end we all will pay, as subs, whether we watch these channels or not.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less about ESPN, and I do not have children to entertain.  I can live without the meager offerings of ABC.

What I can do without is yet another increase, and all the afore mentioned contractual lingo translates into just that, make no mistake.

I know I'm not the only one that thinks this is out of hand.

chris

#99 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

All I care about is getting the HD feeds back for Disney and Disney XD for Star Wars: Rebels this Fall.  I do not wanna have to wait to get the  Blu-trays to see Rebels in HD.

END OF LINE

#100 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

I sure would like to see some implementation of the deal. No HD yet, no access to WatchESPN etc. Mostly all we have seen in press releases. 

spam firewall