Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Its been stated at Satguys that the contract effective date has not yet been reached and that significant back end work has to be done.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

i just want to let you know that the disney HD channels are uplinked right  now 

5316 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family added to 110° TP 19 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 10 Ch 180
5316 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family added to 61.5° TP 10 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 10 Ch 180
5320 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) added to 110° TP 13 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 12 Ch 172
5320 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) added to 61.5° TP 10 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 12 Ch 172
9530 ESNWS (142 HD) ESPNews added to 129° TP 29 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 11 Ch 142
9530 ESNWS (142 HD) ESPNews added to 61.5° TP 10 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 11 Ch 142
9531 ESPNU (141 HD) ESPN U added to 110° TP 13 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 11 Ch 141
9531 ESPNU (141 HD) ESPN U added to 61.5° TP 10 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 11 Ch 141
9557 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) added to 110° TP 13 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 12 Ch 172
9557 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) added to 61.5° TP 10 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 12 Ch 172
9558 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family added to 110° TP 19 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 10 Ch 180
9558 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family added to 61.5° TP 10 (HD *TEST* HiddenEPG linked to 119° TP 10 Ch 180

thanks

Allen 

#103 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

NOT available to customers yet ... Just to make that abundantly clear before the "why can't I see them" posts appear. :D
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#104 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

And only on the 119 Sat.

#105 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

And only on the 119 Sat.

According to the uplink I read... not on 119 at all... on 61.5 or 110 depending on the arc.

In any event... wonder why no DisneyXD in HD?  That is disappointing, as I would have expected that to come at the same time as these HD feeds.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#106 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

And only on the 119 Sat.

The channels are on 110 and 61.5 ... the EPG is shared with the SD channels on 119.
(DISH will probably split off the EPG for the HD channels at some point. Most HD channels do not use the SD channel EPG.)

The way I read the press release, DisneyXD was not promised in HD. It was mentioned for On Demand content and the four channels uplinked today were mentioned as being added in HD.
"As part of the agreement, DISH will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition."
"Disney-branded On Demand offerings, including Disney Channel On Demand, Disney Junior On Demand, and Disney XD On Demand."
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#107 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

do you think disney/abc will add more movies to the free movie section of ondemand?

#108 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

The way I read the press release, DisneyXD was not promised in HD. It was mentioned for On Demand content and the four channels uplinked today were mentioned as being added in HD.
"As part of the agreement, DISH will launch ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Disney Channel and ABC Family in high definition."
"Disney-branded On Demand offerings, including Disney Channel On Demand, Disney Junior On Demand, and Disney XD On Demand."

Yeah, that's how I read that press release too...  but it is disappointing if true.  It also seems weird that they would go through all this for 6 months or so and leave out a previously carried HD feed from the re-launch.

#109 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

the channels are now on

9530 ESNWS (142 HD) ESPNews 129° TP 29 HD – AVAILABLE
9530 ESNWS (142 HD) ESPNews 61.5° TP 10 HD – AVAILABLE
9531 ESPNU (141 HD) ESPN U 110° TP 13 HD – AVAILABLE
9531 ESPNU (141 HD) ESPN U 61.5° TP 10 HD – AVAILABLE
9557 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) 110° TP 13 HD – AVAILABLE
9557 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) 61.5° TP 10 HD – AVAILABLE
9558 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family 110° TP 19 HD – AVAILABLE
9558 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family 61.5° TP 10 HD – AVAILABLE
5316 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family 110° TP 19 HD Hidden – AVAILABLE
5316 ABCF (180 HD) ABC Family 61.5° TP 10 HD Hidden – AVAILABLE
5320 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) 110° TP 13 HD Hidden – AVAILABLE

5320 DISE (172 HD) Disney (East) 61.5° TP 10 HD Hidden – AVAILABLE.

#110 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

now when are they going to add the abc/disney ondemand channels and also the apps also.

#111 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Some people are hard to please. :D

Be happy!

#112 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Beating the horse... but I still would like to see Dish/Disney formally address why DisneyXD hasn't been mentioned as coming back in HD and if ESPNClassic is going away as a traditional channel in favor of On Demand.  For all the details they seem to have nailed during the 6 month negotiation, they released press releases with holes in them that beg filling.

I find it very odd to put all this time into everything including agreements for channels that aren't launching for another 4-5 months... but leaving out some existing channels including one (DisneyXD) that they used to have in HD...  it just seems strange not to cover all the bases and explain that.

#113 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Beating the horse... but I still would like to see Dish/Disney formally address why DisneyXD hasn't been mentioned as coming back in HD and if ESPNClassic is going away as a traditional channel in favor of On Demand.

Press releases are generally written to be positive ... they covered the conversion of ESPN Classic to VOD is a positive way (the channel will be converted). DisneyXD content will be available on demand. While it is always possible that DisneyXD may still be coming I believe that the silence speaks ... it is not positive to say "DisneyXD will remain a SD channel".

I'd like everything in HD ... even stuff I don't watch. But today DISH has capacity for *FOUR* additional HD channels without going to 10 channels per transponder on the rest of their HD transponders or somehow finding additional space for channels. Which four remaining or future channels would you rather see in HD?

#114 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

. But today DISH has capacity for *FOUR* additional HD channels without going to 10 channels per transponder on the rest of their HD transponders or somehow finding additional space for channels. Which four remaining or future channels would you rather see in HD?

Congrats on the New HD.

Do they have a Launch planned?  And since they have 2 Arcs does that mean they have space on one but not the other?

#115 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

Congrats on the New HD.
Do they have a Launch planned?  And since they have 2 Arcs does that mean they have space on one but not the other?

A launch would not help - DISH does not have spare licenses at the current orbital locations to add more transponders and there are already hundreds of spotbeams at each location for locals (no easy way to free up transponders by putting local channels on fewer spots). There is more room on Eastern Arc for new channels but not everyone can see that arc. (DISH had to give up their licenses at 148 because that satellite was needed elsewhere.)

#116 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

A launch would not help - DISH does not have spare licenses at the current orbital locations to add more transponders and there are already hundreds of spotbeams at each location for locals (no easy way to free up transponders by putting local channels on fewer spots). There is more room on Eastern Arc for new channels but not everyone can see that arc. (DISH had to give up their licenses at 148 because that satellite was needed elsewhere.)

Thats not good.  What about the 110 119 from Directv?

Would they sell or transfer to dish?.  Or no way would Directv ever do that?

#117 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

I would not expect DirecTV to sell or lease their DBS space to DISH. DISH needs a place to put future channels. That is their challenge.

#118 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

I was wondering if this was an east vs west scenario...  If I'm reading the uplinks correct, it looked like these HD feeds were new uplinks and did not replace any already existing "test" or "temp" or whatever uplinks... at least not on eastern arc... which led me to believe that bandwidth was not an issue... but then I can't say I paid as much attention to west as I do east since I am on east... and maybe eastern arc temp channels were not disrupted but western arc ones were?

#119 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Nothing was taken out of the uplink to add these channels ... but test channels in the uplink are not necessarily real channels on the satellite. In this case, on Western Arc the new channels filled out two transponders to the 9 channel level - on Eastern Arc the new channels were placed on a transponder on 61.5 that had only two HD feeds (the channel 100 HopView background and one HD RSN feed for a part time channel).

#120 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thats not good. What about the 110 119 from Directv?

Would they sell or transfer to dish?. Or no way would Directv ever do that?

I could only envision a swap of space if it was mutually beneficial. And we have been over it before and couldn't find any space dish has the DIRECTV would want and vice versa really.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...