Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Walt Disney Company and DISH Network Sign Groundbreaking Long-Term, Wide-Ranging Agreement

• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,229 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:13 AM

While you may be right, at some point is has to be cheaper than acquiring new orbital slots and launching new birds.

It will get done eventually ... just like DirecTV will eventually get rid of all their MPEG2 only devices. DISH just needs to figure out how to get it done and remain (mostly) profitable.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   rajmarie

rajmarie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

It will get done eventually ... just like DirecTV will eventually get rid of all their MPEG2 only devices. DISH just needs to figure out how to get it done and remain (mostly) profitable.

Imo dish is waiting till the last moment in the hope that those subs will call in and ask for HD upgrade themselves. This will allow dish to Bill those customers upgrade cost plus tie them to another 2 year contract.
If dish wanted they could have at least swapped all legacy equipment allowing at least 8psk transition on western arc by now

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

#128 OFFLINE   jrh1985

jrh1985

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'm confused,  weren't we supposed to get DIS JR the channel?  Is it still coming? 

#129 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

I'm confused,  weren't we supposed to get DIS JR the channel?  Is it still coming? 

Reread post #1.

#130 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

According to the press release Disney jr is included. So I expect it to come along soon. :D

#131 ONLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Icon

• Registered
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the update. Isn't the Eastern Arc all MPEG4 now? Are there more subs that use the Western Arc? Living on the West Coast (Oregon), I can use either Arc's but the Westerb Arc is higher so less apt to get rainfade.

Patrick

#132 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 20,351 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the update. Isn't the Eastern Arc all MPEG4 now? Are there more subs that use the Western Arc? Living on the West Coast (Oregon), I can use either Arc's but the Westerb Arc is higher so less apt to get rainfade.

Patrick

Once they formally started putting people on eastern arc years ago, yes, they made it a requirement to get the newer equipment for MPEG4... so while there could be a few legacy mixed arc/custom install scenarios... officially anyone on eastern arc is required to have the newer equipment.

Western arc, though, still has a lot of subscribers... and even people with a primary MPEG4 receiver on western arc might still have some legacy equipment in use too for other rooms.

Dish tries to entice people to swap to things like the Hopper partially to get that system out there but also to upgrade those folk...  There will one day be a tipping point where less people are left to upgrade OR costs of satellite launch are prohibitive by comparison OR they are willing to cut and run on customers who don't want to upgrade...  but we are likely years away from that point.

IF Dish takes the hard-line too soon to "force" people to swap out equipment...  those customers might decide to switch to cable, DirecTV, or cut the cord altogether... so Dish has to be careful applying too much pressure too soon.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#133 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,229 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

There is not much on Eastern Arc that is of use to a subscriber without MPEG4 equipment.

DISH loses 2.5 million plus subscribers each year and replaces them with new subscribers (at a cost of $842 each). That works out to 5.3 years to cycle through all 14 million customers. Unfortunately the customers they lose and replace are not necessarily the ones with the older equipment. Too many people bouncing back and forth between providers every two years or so.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#134 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

:righton:  :hurah:  :hurah:  :hurah:  :hurah:  :hurah:  :hurah:  :hurah: Today AT Last ESPNU and news in HD

#135 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

There will one day be a tipping point where less people are left to upgrade OR costs of satellite launch are prohibitive by comparison OR they are willing to cut and run on customers who don't want to upgrade...  but we are likely years away from that point.

I suspect we will have transitioned completely to IPTV by that point. Even now, cable/satellite has become what old folks subscribe to.

#136 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Getting rid of MPEG2 (or QPSK transponders as a first step) would free up space on existing satellites. But doing that would require replacing millions of older QPSK only receivers that are still in use. There are some SD receivers that can do MPEG2 on 8PSK transponders (a roughly 50% increase in channels per transponder). Getting everyone over to 8PSK, preferably MPEG4, will not be cheap or a quick transition.

Any answer has to take into account every supported receiver in the field. Even changes that only affect the HD signals need to work on receivers that were placed as early as 2005 (411 and ViP-211) and 2006 (ViP-622) or we're back to replacing receivers.

DISH can squeeze a few more HD channels on existing transponders so all is not lost ... but new HD comes at a cost. I hope people really enjoy what they have. :)

When will Dish put another bird up? 

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#137 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,229 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

When will Dish put another bird up?

The next satellite should be Echostar XVIII (18) launching at the end of 2015 to 110. It is a replacement for Echostar X (10). It will not be adding any additional bandwidth.

#138 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

I suspect we will have transitioned completely to IPTV by that point. Even now, cable/satellite has become what old folks subscribe to.

Or people who don't live in a major metro area subscribe to. I know it's hard for some people to believe that not everyone lives in a big city or even real near to one and that once you're outside a major metro area there's just not the infrastructure to support something like IPTV. There's an awful lot of people out there for IPTV will never be a viable option unless there's a serious push to get real HSI to everyone, which there doesn't seem to be any serious effort to do.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#139 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Or people who don't live in a major metro area subscribe to. I know it's hard for some people to believe that not everyone lives in a big city or even real near to one and that once you're outside a major metro area there's just not the infrastructure to support something like IPTV. There's an awful lot of people out there for IPTV will never be a viable option unless there's a serious push to get real HSI to everyone, which there doesn't seem to be any serious effort to do.

Exactly, where I live I only had a 1.5mbps DSL line until a couple months ago.  I can now get up to 4mbsp but that is as fast as I can get.

2 Hoppers w/ Sling (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#140 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,383 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

There is a push by AT&T and Verizon to ditch copper and go all wireless at some point and that would reach everyone a lot faster than wiring everyone. But who knows.

#141 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 20,351 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

IPTV is MUCH farther away than some seem to think.  Besides the poor infrastructure and rural coverage... the ISPs want to charge too much for high-speed and have bandwidth caps and overage charges which will make those services cost WAY more than current cable/satellite that people already think cost too much.

IPTV is fine as supplemental "TV" but will not ever become a primary source for most people unless and until some major paradigm shifts happen with the ISPs.

• tsmacro likes this

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#142 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Agreed.  Just bought a Roku box to supplement the Dish and while it is fun, even we went out and installed an OTA antenna, our viewing habits would have to change significantly before IPTV could be an adequate replacement.  Not to mention the fact that my ISP wanted an additional $30 per month to upgrade to a faster speed.  Add on all of the subscription fees for some of the individual channels that Roku offers on a pay basis and the savings doesn't seem worth it, at least not yet.

#143 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Meant to say even if went out and installed an OTA antenna

#144 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Agreed.  Just bought a Roku box to supplement the Dish and while it is fun, even we went out and installed an OTA antenna, our viewing habits would have to change significantly before IPTV could be an adequate replacement.  Not to mention the fact that my ISP wanted an additional $30 per month to upgrade to a faster speed.  Add on all of the subscription fees for some of the individual channels that Roku offers on a pay basis and the savings doesn't seem worth it, at least not yet.

I agree completely! I recently priced out what a cord-cutting scenario would look like for me. I added in the cost of subscription services like Netflix and Hulu, the subscription of an OTA recorder such as Tivo, and what it would cost to purchase all of the shows not available on subscriptions via Apple TV. The savings ended up being only $15/ month which I can easily justify considering the wealth of Sports programming available via Sat that I would not have with IPTV. I can see certain subscription services as a value add but I don't think its viable as a full fledged replacement, at least not for me.

#145 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

I added in the cost of subscription services like Netflix and Hulu, the subscription of an OTA recorder such as Tivo, and what it would cost to purchase all of the shows not available on subscriptions via Apple TV.

Isn't Hulu + Tivo a somewhat redundant system?  Most of Hulu Plus (I know, not all) is to give you access to network programming a day or two later.

Tivo is not the cheapest long-term DVR solution for OTA, though it is probably the nicest.  Channel Master's new DVR would work out to be less expensive, but does have a slightly higher sticker price.

Is it really necessary to purchase all of those shows?  For instance, I'm a huge BBC fan, and Top Gear and Orphan Black are two series I really enjoy.  Top Gear season 20 DVD is only $12 on Amazon.  A month of BBC America was costing me $10.  And Orphan Black's DVD will be out shortly after the show airs in the US, and my library will have it available for a loan shortly thereafter.  So I can get that one for free.  It won't be "the same" as subscribing to BBC America, but it will be a significant cost savings over the course of a year.  Cord-cutting to save money takes more than just replacing the delivery system.  It takes a different mindset about how important it is to watch the latest stuff.

#146 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,990 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

There is a push by AT&T and Verizon to ditch copper and go all wireless at some point and that would reach everyone a lot faster than wiring everyone. But who knows.

Yep at a ridiculous price and ridiculous data caps. Verizion is already trying it in our area. Might as well subscribe to Satellite internet.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#147 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

Cord-cutting to save money takes more than just replacing the delivery system.  It takes a different mindset about how important it is to watch the latest stuff.

Binge watching with no commercials more than makes up for the content not being the latest stuff in my case. After a couple of years with Netflix, I find it next to impossible for me to enjoy anything with commercials - even the 30-sec skip button is annoying.

#148 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

That will be ten years down the road.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#149 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Sorry guys.  :grin:   This is a generational thing.  Younger folks are cutting the telephone and cable/satellite cord in record numbers.  My two teenagers almost never watch Dish and ceratinly would not do something as uncool as watching live TV.  We have netflix and amazon and that's about all they watch, plus a lot of goofy youtube-type stuff....

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#150 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Youngsters don't mind watching things on that itty-bitty screen, but as they grow up (age) things will change.

Their big screen TV may be wireless, but they will not stick with the little screens - too little data on one page.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...