Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

wifi connection options- 722k

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

I just ordered a sling adapter for my 722k. I currently have it connected to wifi via a netgear usb router (the one the dish guy installed). I understand the sling adapter is usb, so I need to switch to a router connected via Ethernet connection. Any suggestions on what the best ones to buy are?

Thank you in advance for any info. 

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

It occured to me that there is a usb port on the front of the 722k. Can't I just connect the sling adapter to the front usb port and keep my current wireless set up?

Thanks again for any comments/wisdom.

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#3 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

I believe you can do that. If that doesn't work use a Ethernet over Powerline Adapter. The VIP series have this built in so you only need by one. I t does have to be the 85MBPS though.

#4 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Sweet. Thanks for the tip!

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Few will actively recommend using a wireless configuration for streaming but you can certainly use the existing setup and see if it gets you where you need to go.

A properly configured (full duplex) Ethernet setup will probably a lot less trouble and bring more reliable streaming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

aaronbud,

Like thomaskj said you can connect the Sling Adapter to the open port on the 722k. If one of our DISH technicians’s installed the Wireless Adapter, it will allow you the ability to Sling to your mobile devices.

Thanks

Sweet. Thanks for the tip!

aaronbud,

Like thomaskj said you can connect the Sling Adapter to the open port on the 722k. If one of our DISH technicians’s installed the Wireless Adapter, it will allow you the ability to Sling to your mobile devices.

Thanks

• aaronbud likes this

#7 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

Thanks guys. Wireless setup is really my only option right now. If the existing one isn't fast enough, I will try the Powerline Adapter. I am able to stream video on demand fairly well, so I am hopeful I'll be good to go. 

One more question, does the Dish Anywhere app allow you to put video from a ipod touch 4 to a tv? I would love to be able to use this in the garage or on the back patio, etc. 

Thanks again, everyone!

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#8 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

aaronbud,

You will be able to use your iPod Touch on DISH Anywhere App as long as it has the correct software.

• aaronbud likes this

#9 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

aaronbud,

You will be able to use your iPod Touch on DISH Anywhere App as long as it has the correct software.

Thank you, Mike, I was able to get it to work, but I have a question:

Today I was recording the NASCAR race while I was at work. I went on my phone to show a coworker how my new "toy" worked, and watched about 2 minutes of the race. When I got home, I discovered the timer had stopped I believe around the time I tuned it to it. Is this something I should expect to happen? Is there anyway to not have the recording stop while you watch it? My 722k is only hooked to one tv, and noone was home at the time to have stopped the recording. Any tips you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#10 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Did you tune to a different channel than what you were recording?  If so, it would have warned you that you were going to stop the recording and you would have had to click Yes for the recording to stop.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#11 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

Did you tune to a different channel than what you were recording?  If so, it would have warned you that you were going to stop the recording and you would have had to click Yes for the recording to stop.

I was watching the channel that was recording. I just disconnected, and later found the timer had stopped at the point I stopped watching. 

Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

spam firewall