Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

771 error on Sat. 2… stuck...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here has seen something like this.

I've been living outside my house while some remodeling has been going on. On Feb 15, I re-routed the coax lines from the satellite to the wall jack in my living room (disconnecting then reconnecting the same connection points). On Feb 19, the drywall guy put up drywall on the other side of the wall from the wall jacks, and did mud/sanding on Feb 20. Sometime on Feb 20, I stopped getting every channel except local channels and, like, Nickelodeon. (I can tell this from Recording history). The error message on all my channels such as HBO, COMC, etc. is no signal from Satellite 2 (771).  When I check signal strength, only 101-degrees shows anything at all. All the other locations -- nothing.

I did some troubleshooting with a phone tech on Saturday.

- Hard Reset

- Tighten connections

- Visit all sorts of 9xxx test channels

The tech then insisted that I had some sort of power booster somewhere on the coax line. Something that the coax line ran through that was also plugged into power. Since 2006 when I got HD, there has never been such a thing, and since I recently re-routed all the coax, I know every inch of the coax line. There are only two, small rectangular boxes (non powered) very close to the receiver -- coax in, coax out.

I have subsequently tried:

- unplugging and then replugging all coax connections: at the receiver, at the two small boxes, at the wall plate, behind the wall plate, and at the dish.

- inspecting the cable that is within the walls (pulling the slack in each direction)

- re-crimping the end on the wall jack for the line for Sat 2 since the crimp job was squished (but probably has been that way since 2006).

I just don't get it.

1) Why do I get some channels and not others?

2) What is the deal with this power device I've never had?

3) If the line is free of (visible) defects, why did it fail on Feb 20?

4) Any ideas how I might solve this?

Thanks to anyone who understands this better than I do. I just have some logic (it used to work) and a knowledge of the physical coax line.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

What model Tivo do you have?

Does it have two satellite coax cables connected? What happens if you swap them?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

There may also be some issues with the specifications of cable and connectors used to "extend" the setup.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

The "two rectangular boxes" are likely BBCs (BaseBand Converters). This tells me that you have an HR2x or THR22 (if you're posting here, then likely THR22). It could be that one of the BBCs has failed - this would result in a symptom similar to what you've seen. If you swap the cables at the receiver, does the problem move?

Steve

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Ah, swapping the BBCs is something I haven't tried!

THR22 is right. 

Others on the DirecTV.com forum (to which Litzdog has replied, too) have suggested it could be dish misalignment.

I do wonder what harsh meant, since I'm not aware that the system has been extended, or, at least, the wiring setup has been the same since 2006 (with the possible addition of the BBCs at some point after that).

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Try swapping the two BBC modules, both with and without swapping the SAT INPUT cables. That will help you narrow down if it's a defective BBC (problems follows the bad BBC), or a defective dish feed (problem follows the SAT INPUT cable).  

Is this your only DirecTV Receiver/DVR?  If you have others, do they have the same problem?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,854 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

On Feb 19, the drywall guy put up drywall on the other side of the wall from the wall jacks, and did mud/sanding on Feb 20. Sometime on Feb 20, I stopped getting every channel except local channels and, like, Nickelodeon. (I can tell this from Recording history). The error message on all my channels such as HBO, COMC, etc. is no signal from Satellite 2 (771).  When I check signal strength, only 101-degrees shows anything at all. All the other locations -- nothing.

Are you sure that when the drywall went up, the drywall screws didn't nick the cable and cause some damage?

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

When I check signal strength, only 101-degrees shows anything at all. All the other locations -- nothing.

Did you check both tuners?  It appears that your issue is on tuner 2

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

You'll also want to recheck the satellite setup to make sure it doesn't think you have a SWM system.

Steve

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Are you sure that when the drywall went up, the drywall screws didn't nick the cable and cause some damage?

That's sort of what I thought when I had pieced it together that the signal drop happened a day after the drywall went up. Since there is some slack int the cable, I was able to pull it through from the jack side, and then pull it back the other way from under the floor. Nothing visible on either cable, and it they both pulled through relatively easily.

#11 OFFLINE   bldxyz

bldxyz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I cross-posted this to the DirecTV forum and had some similar advice, but over there, they ask you to share your detailed satellite readings. Both tuners show pretty similar numbers, with a whole lot of zeroes on a whole lot of places.

The advice over there is for me to wait for my Saturday technician appointment, with some general conclusion that either the dish is misaligned or some hardware is worn out.

It seems a fascinating coincidence that it happened all at once while construction was going on. But just drywall, not like any big, heavy work.

#12 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

.............It seems a fascinating coincidence that it happened all at once while construction was going on. But just drywall, not like any big, heavy work.

Not to hi-jack this thread regarding the drywall comment, but I do not personally know of any retired drywallers that worked until retirement age of 62, usually their bodies were trashed because of all of the big, heavy work over their employment. This coming from an electrician who sympathizes with them even though they occasionally rock over our boxes! :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,552 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

This coming from an electrician who sympathizes with them even though they occasionally rock over our boxes!

I thought that was what mud rings were for.  A spin with a router or a drill saw and you're good to go.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall