Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
Guest Message by DevFuse

Do the 150 mile antennas really work?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,243 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

What manufacturers do you consider reputable?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

There are a few of them. I recently bought an antenna from Channel Master and it does exactly what it says. It said it has a 45 mile range. I live 33 miles from most of the broadcasting towers and it gets them all with no problem.

The thing to be careful of is the fact that some stations are VHF and some antennas only do UHF. Channel Master shows the DB rating for the various frequencies.

Look at one of the places that shows which strength antenna you need and then select an antenna.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   seasoned_geek

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHerscher, IL

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

What manufacturers do you consider reputable?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Sorry to necropost but wished to weigh in.

I purchased a Lava HD2605 (I believe) from here: http://antennadeals....CFQkNaQodgf0GVQ

Possibly some place else on line but the site looks familiar and it was for about that price. I have it erected on 2 sections of our old TV tower, roughly 18 feet in the air give or take. Tall enough to be over the peak of single story house so it could point north for Chicago service.

Sadly, TVFool doesn't list the channel I was interested in researching, but TitanTV does. According to TVFool most of the stations I watch are in the 67-68 mile range. I haven't tried pointing it south for the stations TVFool says are about 146 miles away. I was really hoping to find the distance of 66.2 GetTV because I was watching it last night. We had some mild rain going on. Much of the time it would be crystal clear, then it would occasionally sputter.

In my area we have to content with these ugly windmills. Whenever they are sending control signals to them they walk all over AM 580 WILL http://will.illinois.edu/amand once the windmills stop changing direction it comes in crystal clear again. I suspect the same thing is happening with some of my television signals, especially the weaker ones.

One point I would like to make with the 100+ mile antenna which I haven't seen mentioned here. They are directional meaning you only get a subset of what you could get because of the pointing direction. I would be interested in hearing about any of the omni directional 100+ mile antenna. In particular this one: http://antennadeals....CFYY0aQodoo8Gog

Given what I see on TVFool, my location seems to have a lot of co-channel and adjacent channel problems. I wonder if

1) the co-channel problems would drown out more stations with an omni since I seem to have quite a few co-channels listed at the same distance

2) the hassle of trying to filter out the unwanted co-channels would be worth any increase in the number of channels.

#28 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

If the TVFool dB NM is below zero, the likelihood of receiving the channel is extremely low, and the lower the number goes, the lower the liklihood of it being received also goes.

The small "150" mile antennas do not have the electrolytic capacity to receive signals so weak as those from even 100 miles away.

These antennas purportedly receive signal from so far away because of their amplifier, which is supposed to attone for the lack of the necessary physical characteristics (too small and with too few elements).

IMHO, that Lave HD8000 antenna might be good for 15-20 miles, but is at least 4X overpriced when compared with most other antennas that can provide the same reception.

There is NO 125 mile antenna that can provide omnidirectional reception, similar omnidirectional anrennas can receive signals from possibly up to 25 miles.

The Antennas Direct 91-XG is widely agreed to be one of the best UHF antennas around.  It has many elements that enhance its reception ability, but comparing its exceptional performance with these cheap (quality only - the price is usually expensive) "150" mile antennas, the 91-XG always wins.

Please don't waste your money on miraculous little antennas even with built in rotors that promise the moon and work unimpressively for a short time (until the cheap pre-amp fails).

Buy an antenna from Channel Master, Winegard, Antennas Direct or another manufacturer that builds real antennas with proven design.

If it looks quirky, it is quirky, avoid it.

If it makes claims that outstrip reason like 150 mile reception, avoid it.

If it slices, dices and chops, buy it but don't pay more than $19.95! ;^)

The only proven way to get deep fringe reception is by having your antenna as high as possible to overcome the curvature of the earth (which blocks signals) and to have the largest antenna possible tuned to the frequencies you need to receive.

P.S - I note that these antennas claim to receive 1080p and 4K signals - BUT OTA 1080p and 4K signals DO NOT EXIST, if they lie about one or two things, it reduces their credability about more.

Edited by Jim5506, 11 September 2016 - 07:14 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#29 OFFLINE   trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

And for $19.95, you should get a second one free (with S&H only).

Edited by trh, 11 September 2016 - 07:51 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...