Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using a dock for External Drives?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Wondering if anyone is using a dock like this one (http://tinyurl.com/a2u7auz) and bare hard drives with any of the DVRs? As 3.5 inch HDs have become bigger and cheaper it seems that pretty much the only 1-T drives available are bus powered 2.5s. I'd prefer 1-T drives because anything bigger seems to take forever to connect.

If it'll work I'm also thinking that using a dock would also allow easily swapping drives. I've used the Monoprice USB switch with multiple HDs, but it's never worked reliably for me even though I was very careful to switch off one drive before bringing another on-line.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

ggulch,

I was unable to open your link; I will provide you our link for requirements of an EHD: http://www.mydish.com/support/ehd-overview?WT.svl=gsearch_results

If you wanted to send me the link please PM me to further assist you.

Thanks

#3 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

no self powered drives for EHD

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'd recommend you stay away from 2.5" drives.  They often have nasty power saving habits and are typically much more expensive than their 3.5" breatheren.  They feature slower rotational speeds and more often than not, a smaller cache.

Other than taking longer to process during the nightly check when they get loaded up, I've not noticed an appreciable slowdown with 2TB drives versus smaller devices.

You're not shopping very hard if you can't find a 1TB 3.5" USB systems with 1+ year warranties.  Amazon sells the 1TB Seagate Expansion Desktop drives for $63 delivered with a one year limited warranty.  You can buy them from Seagate for $79.95.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

no self powered drives for EHD

You've seen a USB powered hard drive dock?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

sort of ... not a dock , but an enclosure, small, for 2.5" drive, no power brick

#7 OFFLINE   ggulch

ggulch

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Let me clarify. I'm not wanting to use bus powered HDs. Rather I'm wondering if a dock that lets you use bare drives would work. Here's the URL (http://eshop.macsale...Hard_Drive_Dock) for such a device without trying to run it through TinyURL. Also I don't think I was clear when I mentioned 1-T externals. It seems that 3.5 external 1-Ts, in an enclosure are getting harder to find since everyone wants more disk space, not less.

#8 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

I see, it's looks as  TT BlacX clone ... sure you can use it

#9 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Let me clarify. I'm not wanting to use bus powered HDs. Rather I'm wondering if a dock that lets you use bare drives would work. Here's the URL (http://eshop.macsale...Hard_Drive_Dock) for such a device without trying to run it through TinyURL. Also I don't think I was clear when I mentioned 1-T externals. It seems that 3.5 external 1-Ts, in an enclosure are getting harder to find since everyone wants more disk space, not less.

Note that the conventional designation for a one terabyte hard drive is 1TB as opposed to 1-T (which looks like a backwards telephone service designation).  This may be why you haven't found what you've been looking for

Please read my above reply carefully; it was composed to address some of your concerns as well as raising some that you may not have considered..  If your solution costs even $30 more, you're stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

#10 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yes, I use two of those type docks.  Work great.  Added benefit is you can turn the dock off, pull the drive out and put a different one in without causing your Dish receiver to reboot. (oops, just tried that while looking at the drives contents and powering off the dock caused a reboot.)  Tried again without looking at the contents and got the normal message that the drive was removed from the system without a reboot. 

Anyway, I like the dock setup as the extra dish drives do not take up a lot of space when not plugged into the system.

I have two of the Thermaltake docks, bought from NewEgg for less dollars than the ones from Tech/voyager.

Edited by Grandude, 06 March 2014 - 10:49 AM.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

I have 4 SATA drive docks, used to have them on my 221's and my 722k, but now I have one connected to my Hopper W/S, still work fineeven my 4-5 year old drives I used when I had a 622 work with my Hopper.

I have  a stack of 250GB drives full of mostly movies, that all still work in the drive docks.

Of course the drives off the 211's do not  work with the Hopper or any other 622/610/722/922 DVR.

Edited by Jim5506, 08 March 2014 - 03:34 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   gherna1

gherna1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts
  • LocationYoungstown, NY

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:17 AM

I use an ULTRA USB3 dock, which accepts both SATA and IDE drives with my 211K receiver. I have a 2TB WD20EARS HDD plugged into it as my EHD.

It's an advantage being able to replace HDDs when they get full. In my experience, all that is needed is a receiver reboot for a swapped HDD to be recognized and accepted.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...