Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv in talks with Disney

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soccernut

Soccernut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

http://finance.yahoo...-012742219.html

Contract up in December.

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

hmmm, this could be the beginning for an OTP only programming from DirecTV a la MobiTV

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Not surprised.

I think DirecTV realizes that Dish may try and parley the fact that they have the Pac-12 Network and now SEC and Longhorn Network before the upcoming college football season to potential new customers or transfers.

Programming edge for sure when it comes to college football fanatics. Will they gain a lot? I don't know, but every little bit helps and they have something DirecTV doesn't, and that doesn't hurt.

The big question is: will DirecTV try and gain a deal before the contract actually expires, in front of the college football season, willing to pay MORE SOONER then letting the existing contract expire, as they typically do.

#4 OFFLINE   Soccernut

Soccernut

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Not surprised.

I think DirecTV realizes that Dish may try and parley the fact that they have the Pac-12 Network and now SEC and Longhorn Network before the upcoming college football season to potential new customers or transfers.

Programming edge for sure when it comes to college football fanatics. Will they gain a lot? I don't know, but every little bit helps and they have something DirecTV doesn't, and that doesn't hurt.

The big question is: will DirecTV try and gain a deal before the contract actually expires, in front of the college football season, willing to pay MORE SOONER then letting the existing contract expire, as they typically do.

Looks like Directv wants the deal now.

The Internet rights being discussed are part of a large-scale programming agreement that would replace a deal between the companies that expires in late December

#5 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

make disney channel premium like it used to be.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Last we heard from most real reports is the current deal expires on September not December. I think the last contract was retroactive from when it was signed back to when the ink done had expired. That's what i recall anyway.

And no reason a new deal can allow them to add a station when it launches and pay the new fees for the rest if the channels a couple months latter.

Do to dishes deal and the fact all the stations are up for renewal I now think maybe DIRECTV will pick up the channel. But if it wasn't for the entire package being up I still don't know how interested they'd be.

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Last we heard from most real reports is the current deal expires on September not December. I think the last contract was retroactive from when it was signed back to when the ink done had expired. That's what i recall anyway.

Ink,

I believe you are right. The last deal was signed in January 2005, for 10 years. However in the article it does state, "DirecTV’s agreements with Disney expired Sept. 30 and the new agreement is retroactive to that date." 

DirecTV, ESPN sign for 10 years (Sports Business Journal)

And no reason a new deal can allow them to add a station when it launches and pay the new fees for the rest if the channels a couple months latter.

Yep, remember D* added Disney Junior back in 2012 before any new large comprehensive deal had been signed.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Yep, remember D* added Disney Junior back in 2012 before any new large comprehensive deal had been signed.

Disney Junior replaced another channel (Soapnet) so it was a different kind of deal than asking DirecTV for additional satellite bandwidth for a new channel. Soapnet did not go away as quickly as planned but by then the deal to carry Disney Junior had already been made.

There is nothing that would stop DirecTV from adding a new channel at any time ... they do not need to wait for the master contract to expire. But that renewal is a good time to take stock of what is being carried for what price and why. And contract expirations set a soft due date to get a decision made on how to proceed into the future. (Soft, because carriers and channels can agree to temporary extensions beyond contract expirations.)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

Disney Junior was added by DirecTV in July 2012. (It launched that year in March.) The linear HD was added one month later. And the move was facilitated to offset the pain of losing children's programming from the Viacom cable networks for, what turned out to be, a brief period. SOAPnet, by the way, officially went away after Dec. 31, 2013.

As for this thread's topic, I can say it's totally to be expected that Dish Network's recent contract agreement with Disney/ABC has lit a fire under the a**es of the people at DirecTV. I think that's great. So, for those wanting Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC Network, as well as the ABC/Univision joint venture Fusion (formerly ABC News Now), this is greatly encouraging.

• damondlt likes this

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:13 AM

Disney Junior was added by DirecTV in July 2012. (It launched that year in March.) The linear HD was added one month later. And the move was facilitated to offset the pain of losing children's programming from the Viacom cable networks for, what turned out to be, a brief period. SOAPnet, by the way, officially went away after Dec. 31, 2013.

As for this thread's topic, I can say it's totally to be expected that Dish Network's recent contract agreement with Disney/ABC has lit a fire under the a**es of the people at DirecTV. I think that's great. So, for those wanting Longhorn Network and the upcoming SEC Network, as well as the ABC/Univision joint venture Fusion (formerly ABC News Now), this is greatly encouraging.

I don't see why or how this could have possibly lit a fire under anyone. Everyone knows they have been talking. As Disney would with any other company with their deal
Expiring this year. What it did do is help create a framework for the next ten years of contracts with anyone. Disney is a bit of a leader in the framework of contracts I believe simply because of their size.

#11 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Do to dishes deal and the fact all the stations are up for renewal I now think maybe DIRECTV will pick up the channel. But if it wasn't for the entire package being up I still don't know how interested they'd be.

...don't forget the WATCHESPN content.  DIsh's addition makes DirecTV's omission look even more glaring.  Straw broke camel's back i think.

• mnassour likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Get the deal done, get me WatchESPN access and the SEC network and Im good.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#13 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Dish really has taken on a new attitude when it comes to programming (in my opinion). I think they realize that their bargain-basement, "hold-the-line" attitude had implications. While they might have curtailed the cord-cutters a bit, they neglected the wealthier clients who were willing to spend more to get the programming they want.

On a per capita basis, maybe they calculated that gaining a more high-end customer over the long-term outweighs losing two clients to cord-cutting as they were probably "cheap" to begin with.

DirecTV, on the other hand, seems to be going in the direction of where Dish was in regards to programming.

College programming is always a safe bet as well. It tends to attract the younger viewers and being able to "hook" these people now means potential for long-term relationships. Dish, I think, realizes this and maybe they're making a play in college sports since DirecTV has leverage in the NFL and hence, gobbled up the Pac, SEC and even the maligned Longhorn network.

That's leverage they have over DirecTV, right now, and maybe it's enough to woo college fans away from DirecTV while they have that edge.

If DirecTV loses exclusivity to NFL Sunday Ticket, they will be in deep trouble in my opinion and maybe, with the recent play by Dish, the NFL will realize this even more and rake DirecTV over the coals.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

they neglected the wealthier clients who were willing to spend more to get the programming they want.

What drives these companies are the "middle tier" customers, the drive to make these folks move up to the "higher tier" is what is driving these customers away and become "cord cutters"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   tladle

tladle

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

WatchESPN has to be part of the deal or they WILL lose subscribers to Dish or cable companies.  I think we've all known that DirecTV was waiting until contract renewal time to bring WatchESPN to the table; now they HAVE to deliver.

#16 OFFLINE   Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

With all the trouble the NFL continues to have, I wouldn't be sanguine about basing my entire business model on Sunday Ticket. College football has a far wider TV audience than pro football.

#17 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

With all the trouble the NFL continues to have, I wouldn't be sanguine about basing my entire business model on Sunday Ticket. College football has a far wider TV audience than pro football.

I love college football as well.  However, to make the statement that college football has a far wider audience than pro football just isn't true.  As a whole, NFL TV ratings are consistently stronger than college football. 

And, yes, the NFL is not without blemish, but it is the number one sports entity in the US.  The other three major pro sports (baseball, basketball and hockey) don't get anywhere near the ratings as the NFL. 

As far as the negotiations are concerned, this hopefully is good news for us D* subscribers.  With Dish's agreement, I have to believe that Mike White understands that he would be committing career suicide if he didn't get a comprehensive agreement in place with ESPN/Disney, including streaming rights. 

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

IIRC many of these contracts have a "most favored nation" type clause in them, basically they're supposed to get an equal or better deal then a similar sized company. So maybe that's what's happening now since Dish came up with this deal?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney was essentially saying.  "Wait your turn, we are negotiating with Dish right now, when we are done with them then you can come to the table"   I doubt they would have an entirely different set of staff doing the DirecTV negotiations.  

But, now it's DirecTV's turn and they may or may not have the advantage, they know what they wanted to have as a product to distribute, now they know what products Dish got.  They only question is it more or less than what DirecTV initially wanted to go for, pay for.

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

One other thing to remember, I'm pretty confident the working relationship between Directv and Disney is much better. Just because Dish FINALLY signed a deal doesnt erase the last 2 years. And Dish caved a little on Autohop.

I do not have a doubt Directv goes in and gets SECHD and Watch ESPN. And if they do not, I can see everything I care to on FS1, CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

Not having SEC network has zero bearing on whether Im happy with Directv or not.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

spam firewall