Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv in talks with Disney

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Also, to clear the confusion: WatchESPN access is dictated by your TV provider, ESPN 3 access is dictated by your Internet Provider. ESPN has a page that goes into full details on it.

actually, here in bright house land, you must sub to cable tv and receive espn, to receive espn3. even when i had just my internet with bhn, i couldn't receive espn3.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Also, to clear the confusion: WatchESPN access is dictated by your TV provider, ESPN 3 access is dictated by your Internet Provider. ESPN has a page that goes into full details on it.

And yet all my uses of WatchESPN (as an app) only ask for one provider....if that is the same, fine, but there is no provision in the apps to use two providers.

I don't trust a word ESPN says about any of this. They have it so clusterf***ed it is ridiculous.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#43 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Not quite true. WatchESPN, as an app, includes live streaming of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, Buzzer Beater and ESPN Deportes but it also includes ESPN3 games.

Also ABC college football games. 

#44 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Why? Isn't every game broadcast on an ESPN/ABC station?

because most of the games will be during business hours in the US - I can't just tell my boss I won't work for 4 hours/day so that i can go to the water hole to watch the games. In the previous 2 World Cups, when ESPN3 showed the games, I'd have them running in the background and if I heard a goal, I'll switch to watch. But nowadays if event is on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC, usually it is NOT on ESPN3. Confederations Cup matches last year weren't on ESPN3.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

because most of the games will be during business hours in the US - I can't just tell my boss I won't work for 4 hours/day so that i can go to the water hole to watch the games. In the previous 2 World Cups, when ESPN3 showed the games, I'd have them running in the background and if I heard a goal, I'll switch to watch. But nowadays if event is on ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC, usually it is NOT on ESPN3. Confederations Cup matches last year weren't on ESPN3.

Sounds like you need a slingbox.

• daniloni likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

ESPN 3 normally authenticated based on the ISP you are using to connect to the network. Having a participating ISP at home doesn't mean you can get it on the road.

Of course the recently announced Disney/DISH deal breaks "the rule" as well as authenticating as a DISH customer will authorize ESPN 3. (I suspect DirecTV will eventually get the same deal.)

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#47 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney was essentially saying.  "Wait your turn, we are negotiating with Dish right now, when we are done with them then you can come to the table"   I doubt they would have an entirely different set of staff doing the DirecTV negotiations.  

But, now it's DirecTV's turn and they may or may not have the advantage, they know what they wanted to have as a product to distribute, now they know what products Dish got.  They only question is it more or less than what DirecTV initially wanted to go for, pay for.

Correct
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

WatchESPN has to be part of the deal or they WILL lose subscribers to Dish or cable companies.  I think we've all known that DirecTV was waiting until contract renewal time to bring WatchESPN to the table; now they HAVE to deliver.

If this were true, it would be happening over the previous 2+ years. I have WatchESPN, it's nice but I wouldn't go to that extreme. Buffering issues, etc like any other streaming service. I'd call it a nice added value that I use once a month, but it is not the end all be all in my opinion. Certainly not something that people switch over.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

I am almost surprised they aren't turning espn classic into espn 3 (what is watch espn now) make espn classic all Video On Demand and make all espn channels available streaming. They are almost doing that now it seems.

#50 OFFLINE   jle1639

jle1639

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • Locationdothan al

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'M not concern about watch espn but I am concern about get the sec channel .I will switch provider if direc don't add the sec channel.

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

I am almost surprised they aren't turning espn classic into espn 3 (what is watch espn now) make espn classic all Video On Demand and make all espn channels available streaming. They are almost doing that now it seems.

Almost. It will be interesting to see what happens to ESPN Classic on other carriers (DirecTV and cable) when it does become a VOD channel later this year on DISH. Will ESPN keep it alive until each contract expires the way some other channels have stuck around as a shell of their former selves?

Turning the streamed ESPN 3 into a satellite carried linear channel would be asking for more bandwidth, not less. Perhaps they can work out a way of satellite streaming the channels? If broadcast IPTV takes up a lot less space than a traditional HDTV channel simply stream ESPN to receivers over the satellite as an IP multicast instead of using the individual customer's broadband connections.

All ESPNs available via streaming will come as part of the DISH/Disney deal and their push for a satellite free personal subscription service. So yes, we're almost to the point where most of your post is already being done.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#52 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Almost. It will be interesting to see what happens to ESPN Classic on other carriers (DirecTV and cable) when it does become a VOD channel later this year on DISH. Will ESPN keep it alive until each contract expires the way some other channels have stuck around as a shell of their former selves?

Turning the streamed ESPN 3 into a satellite carried linear channel would be asking for more bandwidth, not less. Perhaps they can work out a way of satellite streaming the channels? If broadcast IPTV takes up a lot less space than a traditional HDTV channel simply stream ESPN to receivers over the satellite as an IP multicast instead of using the individual customer's broadband connections.

some cable systems have had some ESPN 3 games on part time channels maybe some thing like that.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#53 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

All ESPNs available via streaming will come as part of the DISH/Disney deal and their push for a satellite free personal subscription service. So yes, we're almost to the point where most of your post is already being done.

Distributing all the ESPN3 content via satellite would take more bandwidth, but Directv already has all that part time channel stuff figured out pretty well. Once the new satellites are up they'll have a lot more bandwidth, and would very easily be able to do this if they wanted. I haven't ever heard anything to suggest that they want to, however.

Multicast is a great idea in theory, but in practice the internet at large just doesn't have the capability for this because the routers at exchange points don't pass multicast. Even if they did, most ISPs filter multicast. On top of that, most consumer DSL/cable modems can't handle multicast (some show options to enable it, but it doesn't actually work properly) That's why no one uses multicast protocols over the internet.

If your ISP also sells video, good luck getting them to invest in making their infrastructure from peering, to internal networks, to the modems they distribute to consumers to do it right when it would really open them up to competition from IPTV. At best we're years away from that being a possibility, unfortunately, because it is what is required if anyone ever hopes to do live TV over the internet on a large scale. Otherwise it'll be same OK at times terrible at others performance we see with ESPN3.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

Multicast is a great idea in theory, but in practice the internet at large just doesn't have the capability for this because the routers at exchange points don't pass multicast. Even if they did, most ISPs filter multicast. On top of that, most consumer DSL/cable modems can't handle multicast (some show options to enable it, but it doesn't actually work properly) That's why no one uses multicast protocols over the internet.

I was suggesting IP over satellite ... which assumes the IP stream would be smaller than the regular HD video stream and could save DirecTV the bandwidth of doing full HD re-transmissions of content people expect to see in "Internet stream" quality. Of course if DirecTV is not hurting for video bandwidth they could dedicate alt channels to the content. But even after new satellites launch at some point bandwidth will become an issue again. It is a never ending battle.

#55 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Much of the ESPN 3 content is already available in SD on ESPN Full Court or Game Plan, and some of those games are in HD on one or more RSN, so it might be possible to have the ESPN 3 games on satellite.

#56 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

I was suggesting IP over satellite ... which assumes the IP stream would be smaller than the regular HD video stream and could save DirecTV the bandwidth of doing full HD re-transmissions of content people expect to see in "Internet stream" quality. Of course if DirecTV is not hurting for video bandwidth they could dedicate alt channels to the content. But even after new satellites launch at some point bandwidth will become an issue again. It is a never ending battle.

Why do you think an IP stream would be smaller? Either way you send the same MPEG4 data, and whatever data is sent to the customer requires the overhead of modulation and error correction to be successfully received.

Using IP would make no difference aside from needing at best a firmware update and at worst a new model of receiver for customers to be able to receive it.

#57 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

If this were true, it would be happening over the previous 2+ years. I have WatchESPN, it's nice but I wouldn't go to that extreme. Buffering issues, etc like any other streaming service. I'd call it a nice added value that I use once a month, but it is not the end all be all in my opinion. Certainly not something that people switch over.

Actually, watch ESPN is one of several reasons I maintain a dual subscription with cable and DirecTV.  I travel for work and several events I want to see are not available in my hotel, and/or I cannot always connect to my Slingbox.  WatchESPN makes it easy for me, and I have minimal buffering issues when I am on the road.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#58 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Actually, watch ESPN is one of several reasons I maintain a dual subscription with cable and DirecTV.  I travel for work and several events I want to see are not available in my hotel, and/or I cannot always connect to my Slingbox.  WatchESPN makes it easy for me, and I have minimal buffering issues when I am on the road.

Satelliteracer, I usually think you are spot on with your analysis.  However, this time I think you are underestimating the importance of streaming content.  Satellite in conjunction with streaming capability seems to be the preference for many in the future.  With satellite, you in many ways are tied to watching your content on your television.  Great for a lot of issues, but not the end all regarding content.

That flexibility to stream, esp. when you don't have satellite access but you have streaming access, is more and more necessary.  And, there is additional content through ESPN that one can access if streaming rights are included in the upcoming deal.  For instance, I was born in Ohio, and grew up watching University of Akron basketball and football.  Can't access many of their feeds because the MAC now is contracted with TWC for broadcasting rights.  However, if I had Watch ESPN, I could pull up Akron feeds and stream their games to them play.

I'm not one who things that streaming it the end-all solution to content access.  However, streaming content capabilities, esp. with ESPN content, will strengthen D*s marketability w/many.

#59 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

That flexibility to stream, esp. when you don't have satellite access but you have streaming access, is more and more necessary.  And, there is additional content through ESPN that one can access if streaming rights are included in the upcoming deal.  For instance, I was born in Ohio, and grew up watching University of Akron basketball and football.  Can't access many of their feeds because the MAC now is contracted with TWC for broadcasting rights.  However, if I had Watch ESPN, I could pull up Akron feeds and stream their games to them play.

If TWC has the media rights for Akron games, how can you watch them on WatchESPN? Is ESPN producing the content for TWC, and making them available on WatchESPN?

If so, I wouldn't assume that Directv having a streaming deal with ESPN would necessarily allow you to watch those games. You never know, TWC's contract with ESPN might only allow ESPN to stream those games to their customers, and not customers of other providers.

#60 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

I think the streaming rights for espn is an entirely different animal than watch espn. They need the first but the latter, I can see its important to some but it's not to those in the biggest cities generally so I'm not sure where DIRECTV will draw that line.

Granted I expect a deal similar to dish at this point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...